Switch: Pedals Fx Loop <-> Front of amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thiago_m, Apr 1, 2015.

1. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Hello everyone,

I have set up the pedal board you see in the picture. What I want to do is have a switch (pedal) that alternates the reverb and delay pedal from the fx loop to the front of the amp (just after the looper).

[​IMG]

The reason I want this is because I have a Mesa amp with fx loop and another fender amp that does not have one. They are in separate places. My idea is when I take my pedalboard I can just remove the cables from the fx loop and step on a switch pedal and suddenly they are going in front of the amp.

Is this possible? Does this make any sense?:confused:

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I'm looking for this exact same thing.

3. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

I don't wan't anything super complicated, just a pedal routing all the cables. I thought about using two Boss ls-2 together or something like this but it is never simple.

4. EricHOH

EricHOH Member

I work there so please don't take this as spam but we make just this device at Xacttone. Called the Flexiface. Little interface box that auto routes stuff into either the fx loop or the front.

5. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

Badger Schism XV

-good buffer inside (burr brown)
    -invert switch polarity
    -blend level
    - trail option for delay /reverb
    - 2 insert loop
    - master bypass

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, a very simple interface could solve your situation.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Agreed - you don't need a switch to do this. You can use an interface which carries the three connections (to amp input, from fx loop send, to fx loop return) and which automatically reconfigures itself to put the fx loop pedals in line if you so wish.

More info here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1184

8. yigba

yigba Member

Wouldn't an extra set of long cables do the same thing?

9. SirGilmour

So if you had an interface then all you would need is an amp switcher? I looked up the "Flexi-face" and Sitnkfoots diagram but I'm not seeing how that allows your effects to be in the loop of one amp and then in front of another with no switching?

10. SirGilmour

Bump for more info

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The OP's situation is when he uses an amp with a loop as opposed to when he's using an amp without one. A simple interface with an FX loop can be made with switched jacks and proper wiring to re-route the signal chain from the amp's fx loop to the front of the amp.

It basically re-routes the effects in the fx loop by not placing an instrument cable into the send jack and the amp jack on the interface. The switched jacks used would become open and reroute the signal to the front of the amp thereby placing the effects that were originally in the fx loop to last on the signal chain in front of the amp.

12. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between an interface and a switch?

Is an interface something automatic?

What I need is (A) I am playing through my Mesa amp with delay+reverb through fx loop. Then I unplug the fx loop cables from the pedal board because I am taking my pedal board somewhere else. (B) I arrived in front of my fender amp and I plug my pedal board to the front of the fender (the same cable that I was plugging in front of the mesa ). Without any additional cable switching or moving around, just by pressing a button with my foot I want the delay and reverb to be the last to pedals in my effect chain going directly to the amp.

My only effort would be to reconnect the fx loop cables when I go back to my mesa amp.

Would this simple interface do that? Where can I buy one?

13. EricHOH

EricHOH Member

Yeah that is exactly what the flexiface does. if you don't want the fx in the loop just unplug the send and return cables, no hitting a switch or anything else required.

I think some people are thinking that you want to use both amps at the same time, which isn't your goal. An interface is just a little box with all the necessary in's and out's for your board in one place. It is wired internally so it's an automatic thing where if you don't plug in the send and return jacks everything gets fed to the output that goes into the front of the amp. Then if you want to use the loops then plug in those cables and it routes everything that way. Super easy.

We make them where I work all the time and I don't personally know of any of product that does it. There may be but i'm not aware of any.

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The interface described in the article I linked to above does two things:

• It provides connection points for the cables going to/from the amp, so you can have the pedals constantly hooked up.
    • It allows you to run the whole chain in line, or have it split into pre amp and fx loop chains. It automatically switches to one or the other mode, depending on which jacks you use for the output.
    So for the Mesa rig, you'd use all three jacks (to amp input, fx send, fx return). For the Fender, you'd only have the single cable to the amp input running from the "fx return" jack. The interface automatically connects the other two jacks, to bring the whole chain in line.

jnepo1 could build you one, or if you have a friend who is handy with this type of thing you could use the info in the link to have one made for you.