Switch to an LP from a Strat? Regrets?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geoangus, Feb 22, 2009.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I'm debating selling/trading my Anderson Hollow Classic to pick up an Les Paul. I'm playing for my own amusement, but miss having a humbucker guitar. In these times, and not being a working player, I can't justify one of each. With the exception of when I first started playing guitar, when I had a couple of Gibson inspired Elektras (Workingman and then a XPC), I've played Fenders or variations of a superstrat. I could go back to a superstrat, but I'm thinking I'd rather just have a Les Paul. I play 60's to 80's classic rock, with some late 70's early 80's new wave thrown in. Amp is a Tophat Club Royale. I'm looking to just have a fatter sound, that can still clean up.

For those who made the switch, did you stick with the LP? If you switched to another guitar, did you switch back to a strat, or did you go to a tele?

Thanks for your opinionsm

geoangus

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Joe Bonamassa did and is still with the LP.

3. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

I have a Strat and an LP. The feel of them is quite different to me. I'm fine if I stick with one or the other for a few hours or more. I don't think I would be comfortable switching guitars between each song though.

IMO if you make the switch and give your hands ample time to settle in, it should not be a big adjustment. Now the difference in tone is a whole different story :rolleyes:

Good luck!

4. ESPLTD200FM

ESPLTD200FM Member

I went the other way....I still have the LP but never play it.....It's just gonna be a personal preference thing though......

5. marsos52

marsos52 Member

these are things that only you can answer and decide.. theres many feelings and arguements for going either direction. none being right or wrong.

i have been playing over 40 years and ten years back i switched to single coil instruments even though my main music style and my playing style humbuckers fit best.

i really enjoy the single coil tone and find many more tonal possiblities but thats me
    i would think a tele would get you what you want and cover both ends maybe a compresser to fattin the singles for hum tones

one thing i can tell you... if you have a guitar you really really like never part with it
    marc

6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I've switched back and forth twice. Played Strats for 10 years one time. A lot of my guitar heros play Strats, and a lot play Les Pauls.
    But I'm staying with a Gibson Les Paul now. One reason is the shorter scale. They are easier to play for me. And I like the beefier tone.
    Never owned a Tele.
    A Les Paul with P-90s is another option. To me they have killer tone.

7. geoangus

geoangus Member

That is another reason I'm thinking about a Paul. I cut way back on my playing ten years ago. Started getting back into playing slowly over the past year and I feel my finger dexterity just isn't what it was when I was in my late thirties. Not arthritic, but just not the same. Scale exercises have helped, but for some simple open chords, C for example, my index finger just ain't right.

Pickups are a tough call. Seems there have are many variations in Les Pauls over the years, and of course opinions pro & con. I'd like something not modern high gain, more classic 70's, but with the ability to clean up well. I know that twang isn't in there, but something to give me a good clean "pop" for chords on say "On The Radio" by Joe Jackson would more than make me happy.

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Guitar player right? Everybody needs a Les Paul...and a Strat...and a Telecaster..and a.... :BEER

9. jpage

jpage Member

Sell the Anderson and buy a Gibson Les Paul. Then, when you get the dough, buy a Fender Strat. Then sit back and enjoy the best quandry to have, "do I pick up the Les Paul or the strat?".

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I think a good example of a Strat & a Les Paul covers every thing. However, last year I sold my good example strat to buy my Les Paul, which is currently my most favorite guitar - at the moment. So, there ya go!

11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I can't imagine life without either one. I think a 2-guitar arsenal containing one Les Paul and one Strat is perfectly reasonable. Buy used. There are lots of good non-collectable Strats and Pauls out there to be had.

12. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Supporting Member

I cant have one over the other..variety is the spice of life and I get
    different inspiration from playing each one...One cant do what the other can and I wouldnt go without one of each at a minimum.

13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Honestly, if your guitar is winner, get some kind of used modeling thingey. A pod, digitech, blackbox, whatever. Since you're playing for your own amusement, spend $50 bucks, play with the fatter tone, and keep your baby. Finding a great gibby is hard work, just like finding a great Fender is hard work. Isn't that why you're playing an Anderson? You think an off the rack Gibby at a pricepoint you want to pay is going to be as nice as your Anderson? Get some digital sounds for when you're craving fat and full. It's easy to make a "strat" sound like a "gibson", at least for less than recording quality sound. It's damned hard to make a "Gibson" sound like a "strat"

14. serviviente7

serviviente7 Member

I have not done the switch....YET but i might just do rather soon. I have been a fender only player all of my life and i have been playing for 25 yrs until i pick up a Lester last year. Well it is fastly becoming my favorite guitar. The scale is perfect for me and MY style of music. The sound is huge but do not get trick into "lp's are a one trick pony". They are not if you know how to work its tone. Having said that I am bless to have many guitars and I have no need to make a "one" guitar decision but i think if i needed to do it i could live with a Lester being my only guitar.

15. 57paf

57paf Member

Geoangus:
    Do you want the ease of a shorter scale or do you want the tone of the LP?
    Also, the neck and fretwork of Fenders & Gibsons don't come close to what an Anderson does. You may want to try an Anderson Cobra or Atom CT to see what their short scales sound like.

16. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

My thoughts completely.

17. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Joe sounded and played better with a strat....

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I think he sounds the same. I do appreciate the Lester tone because it's not those bell like highs all night.

19. somedude

somedude Member

I started off on Strats. Played them for about 10 years, then bought a Les Paul. Played them for 4 years, then bought a P90 Les Paul.

I'm currently gassing for a Strat. I'll never loose the Les Pauls (hum or P90), but Strats have a tone that an LP will never have, and vice versa.

20. geoangus

geoangus Member

A little bit of both, I guess. I've thought about a Cobra, don't see them come up often enough, but I think I'd still want LP tone. Not sure how close it, or an Atom could deliver. I hear the quality statements though - my Anderson is an awesome guitar, but sometimes, you just think you want to move on. Always hard to avoid remorse, whether buying or selling.

Maybe if I could just find a pedal that fattened the bejeezus out of the sound. Might satisfy me for a few weeks.