Switch to Mac?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ratkent, Apr 18, 2005.

1. ratkent

ratkent Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a new computer and I am considering a Mac. I have been using a PC Sonar system because that is the platfrom my band had in our recording studio but we are switching to a Mac with Cubase software so I need something at home I can use to edit, mix and overdub.

Funds are not unlimited so will a dual 1.8 processor G5 keep me busy for a while or will I soon curse myself for not getting more muscle?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'm still running a 733 G4 (top of the line a few years ago) and it still keeps up just fine, granted you can't even buy a Mac this wimpy any longer. I was a PC guy until I bought this Mac for my graphic design work a few years back...I will never go back to PC.

3. elambo

elambo Member

A dual 1.8 should be good for a while.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a 1.25ghz single processor G4 with a Mackie Spike recording system, Traction and GarageBand software. It works just fine. Moving to a G5 will make it all move faster, of course.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

As with *any* other system you use for recording, I highly recommend you max out your RAM!

--chiba

PS G4/dual 1.25 w/Digi001, but I ran a G4/400 for a LONG time with no troubles!

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I'm still running a G4 500 and I'm getting excellent performance with digital performer and a ton of plug ins.

7. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

I'm in the same boat and I'm now looking towards a Mac, although I have no experience with them.

Can anyone weigh in on their thoughts regarding a comparison between a single processor G5 and a dual? I know, more is better and all that... seems many are getting by just fine on older G4's with way less power than even the single G5.

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

As far as I know, Pro Tools (at least LE) doesn't take advantage of dual processors, so single or dual, I don't think it matters a whole lot.

--chiba

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I think you're wrong on that 'un... it's been my understanding that any version of ProTools 6 has the option to monopolize one processor exclusively on a dual processor Mac.

10. Orren

Orren Member

Macs are excellent, and the dual G5 1.8Ghz machine is also excellent. But...

PC Cubase is 100% compatible with Mac Cubase. In fact, Cubase is a PC program, that has been ported to the Mac. I am not just imagining this--I was a beta tester for Steinberg before I switched to Logic and beta tested Cubase SX pre-1.0. And if you buy Cubase, you get both Mac and PC installs in the box (you only get a single dongle though).

Are you sure you need a whole new computer if all you want to run is Cubase?

Orren

11. Orren

Orren Member

This is not possible under OSX.

Under OS9, the application decided which processor it's various threads would use.

In OSX, it is the operating system that determines which threads are run on which CPU. It is simply not possible for any application to make that decision.

However, the flip side of this is that since it is OSX that determines which CPU will run which thread, all applications in OSX are fully capable of taking advantage of as many CPUs as are included in the system.

Orren

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

13. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Orren,
    Any chance I could e-mail you off-line to ask you a few qustions? My e-mail is cody_mclain at hotmail dot com. If not, no worries...

Cody