• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Switchback Guitarworks

Hello all! After a nearly three-year hiatus, I am once again building guitars. Over the summer, I rebooted my Country Boy model with a new body design. The offset Miura is back, now called the Classic Six. And my S-style, the City Boy, returns in a more vintage-correct form.

For those who don’t know - I’m a one man show. I got the itch and started building guitars in 2009. I create all my bodies and necks from scratch, in house. Finishing is done in house. All fretwork, setup, etc. Hardware and pickups are the only items I source externally. As I like to say, raw materials come in the front door and a finished guitar goes out...the front door. (There’s only one door.)

The guitars all feature roasted maple necks and most will feature roasted bodies as well. Gotoh bridges and tuning machines, premium electronic components, and fantastic McNelly pickups. All guitars ship in Mono Vertigo soft cases. I’m currently working on several builds on spec but custom orders are available.

I labored for nearly two years developing a neck profile that I felt was the Goldilocks neck - not too thick, not too thin. A C shape without too much shoulder. All guitars feature this neck shape, 21 medium frets, and a 10” fretboard radius as standard. My goal is to find that happy place where vintage aesthetic, improved ergos, and fresh lines can intersect and create something unique yet familiar.

Body finishes are an Uber-thin distressed nitro. Necks are an oil-wax blend. Hardware all wears a mild to medium patina. Not trying to fool anybody into thinking that a new guitar is an old guitar but rather trying to capture the same kind of comfort and warmth that comes from a broken-in pair of boots. And celebrating the fact that underneath it all is a beautiful piece of wood.

I post regularly to Instagram, Instagram Stories, and IGTV. Also, but less so, on Facebook.

https://www.instagram.com/switchbackguitarworks/

https://m.facebook.com/SwitchbackGuitarworks/

I’d encourage you to follow me on one or both of those platforms if you’d like to see what I’m up to. Feel free to reach out via email or Instagram or Facebook messages with any questions or suggestions. I’m always up for a chat. ✌

Last edited:

Doth

I am fortunate enough to have one of Mike's original Country Boys. It is an amazingly well-built guitar and a monster instrument. On top of that, it is great looking. Working with Mike is a breeze. He walks you through every option and keeps you up to date on each step. He builds everything but the hardware and pickups in house (he used to build the pickups as well, which were amazing). The finish work is on par with any top builder. I couldn't be happier. I want to order a new Country Boy, but I can't figure out how to make a better guitar than the one he has already built for me. I highly, highly recommend Switchback. Since I cannot figure out how to post a photo, I changed my avatar to a collage of photos of my Country Boy.

Don

strangesounds

Silver Supporting Member
Mike so happy to see you are building again! The guitar in my avatar is a Switchback. It's one of the prototype models he built and I purchased here on gearpage. It is an amazing guitar. They compete with the top guitars out there. This guitar has my favorite neck profile. So comfortable and feels amazing with the wax/oil neck finish. The only thing I've done with it was change pickups. And his finish work is outstanding. Mine was vintaged just a little bit, and looks fabulous. Recommend his work without hesitation, and would definitely purchase again.

sickboy79

I have one of Mike’s earliest designs. Maybe a prototype? Essentially a single pick version of the Country Boy wired up Esquire style. It has his original hand wound “hot” Tele pickup. I cannot day enough great things about this guitar and Mike. Build quality is impeccable. Choice quality wood, electronics, and finish. It feels like a well played and broken in guitar out of the box. Amazing neck, amazing pickup, awesome playability. I can’t say enough good things. Love Switchback!!

I used to call this model the Miura but I changed the name to the Classic Six. Because I can’t leave well enough alone.

Loving these McNelly pickups!!

mtcoolg

Gold Supporting Member
I can't say enough good things about my experience with Mike Package aka Switchback Guitarworks. I have two different models, the Miura and the City Boy. Both are fantastic instruments. During the build process, Mike keeps his customers informed with up to the minute progress and his customer service is second to none.

Super-interested in a City Boy. What's the price point?
Hey Anthony - I responded on your Facebook message. If you’d like more info hit me up via email (mike@switchbackguitarworks.com), Instagram, or Facebook. My TGP inbox is full and I can’t seem to figure out how to empty it...

Last edited:
Mike is an amazing person.

He me sent a free Switchback Country Boy to give a buddy of mine who had cancer, two small kids and needed to sell his guitar for cash during those hardships.

The guitar is amazing. My friend loved it and still plays it to this day, albeit cancer free.

Fit and finish were perfect, woods were gorgeous, everything about it screams quality and it sounds better than any tele I have heard.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
Your work is inspiring...and giving me pause to think.

I now have this dream...Mastery trem (functional with a 9-42 or 10-46 set), P-90 neck (noiseless), HB bridge, SS frets and no relic or distressed anything.

Maybe someday.

Your work is inspiring...and giving me pause to think.

I now have this dream...Mastery trem (functional with a 9-42 or 10-46 set), P-90 neck (noiseless), HB bridge, SS frets and no relic or distressed anything.

Maybe someday.
Thank you. Sorry for not replying sooner. I didn’t have notifications on for this thread. But thank you for the kind words.

It’s funny - when I first started using roasted woods you had to know the secret handshake. You had to have the right “in” with the right seller to get the good stuff. So even though it’s not quite as “special” anymore as it used to be, I’m thankful that it’s so much easier to get such great wood. Makes you wonder why everybody doesn’t use it?

Trending Topics