Switchbone question:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rastaman, Nov 26, 2005.

1. rastaman

rastaman Member

Just bought the Switchbone, it works like I wanted an ABY to work I'm just wondering why the volume drops when I turn both amps on. I'm playing a 2061X and a Marshall Artist 30 w/ the 20W as the main amp. If I'm playing the 20W and I turn both on it seems to loose some of the thickness of that amp. The Artist has a higher gain pre-amp distortion that sounds nothing like a HandWired amp. However, it has a great lead tone. I thought it would be cool to leave the 20W on while playing lead to thicken it up some but I hear that thickness drop a little. Is the guitar signal, getting split in 2, the cause of this? Is there anything I can do?

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

SOunds like your amps are 'out of phase'. That's why it has the phase reversal switch . If you flip that and you don't get a different sound as in louder and bigger, are you sure everything's wired up right? When I use my Switchbone or any a/b/c box it's always lots loueder with the 2 amps on! ERIC

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

Well I don't know about the phases, I just assumed both of them being Marshalls that they were in phase, I'll try it though. The 2061X is a HW reissue so it's possible I guess, it's an easy way to see. It seems to just drop the thickness of the 2061X. I'll try it though. Thanks.

4. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

this definately sounds like a phase issue. i use my switchbone for every gig, and occasionally have to flip the phase switch or the ground lift during setup to get things to sound right. i think often it's the placement of the amps with respect to each other that determines the phase, but i'm no expert on the physics of it.

let us know if it helps. also, if it doesn't help much, try repositioning the amps.

5. rastaman

rastaman Member

I do have them stacked on top of each other plus their plugged into the same power conditioner.

[​IMG]

What's you guys take on the ground lift? Is it dangerous? I've spoken to some gear buddies of mine about it and we feel that the guitar/me is safe because the ground is lifted from the Switchbone back to the amps. Plus I've been using a wireless even while wanking :D at home just to keep myself isolated. Thoughts of ground lifts welcome....

6. ericb

The Ground lift on the Switchbone is safe as can be. If you're getting lower volume running 2 amps simulataneously ,you either need to flip your phase reversal switch , or you have a bad cable, or the switchbone is broken. Good luck

ERIC

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

the key is how the speakers are positioned with respect to each other. are both amps running into the same cab? (that raises a bunch of other issues that would necessitate equipment other than the switchbone) if you are using separate cabs, the position of the cabs will determine the absolute phase of the sound waves (the goal is to have them become additive). as far as the ground lift, there is no risk. the switchbone is very safe and you should be isolated well. the ground lift is intended to prevent additional noise and hum when running two amps and i've found it to be very useful. hope that helps,
    matt

8. ericb

PLEASE TELL ME , you're not running these into 1 cabinet!!! OR that the cabinet is stereo! IF it's stereo , no problem, but if you're running them thru the Switchbone into 1 cab, you'll blow your amps! ERIC

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

2 heads into 2 cabs in one. I rewired my Marshall 4/10 so 2 speakers criss crossed are one input at 4 ohms [ 2- 8's in parallel ] for the Artist. The other 2 are wired to 16ohms [ 2- 8's in series ] for the 2061X. So yes the speakers are in the same cab, just 2 seperate inputs. Thanks for the load concerns but I do know a little about some things. ;)

10. ericb

Pheww!! No disrespect intended whatsoever, but when I saw the 1 cab in the picture, there were only 2 options! Good luck dude

ERIC

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

So what's up w/ the Marshall cabs that have 2 inputs, one mono and one stereo? I understand the 16ohm mono jack duh! But the 4 ohm stereo, is that for using 2 cabs w/ one head but using 2 seperate outputs on the head, one to each cab?? I'm probably showing my ignorance as I've never owned a full stack :D .