switchcraft 3-way toggle switch question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spookyelectric, Jan 27, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to order a replacement toggle switch for the import toggle switch in my guitar and was planning on just going with a switchcraft.

it looks like the lugs are arranged differently on the switchcraft than on mine.

Seems as though the Switchcraft ground lug is on the same side as the lugs for the pickups, which is fine. The issue is the other side where the lugs get soldered together and go out to the output. I don't have a whole lot of room in this control cavity-- these lugs stick out far enough that they would hit the side of the control cavity.

Since the Switchcraft has 2 screws on it, is it possible to loosen the one on the output side just enough to swing the output tabs around so they're not hitting the wall of the control cavity?

2. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Just bend the lugs out of the way and use shrink wrap to make sure they don't short out anywhere else on the switch.

How tight is your control cavity??

3. jcs

jcs Member

I've encountered the same thing....I haven't set mine up yet but thought about using liquid electrical tape brushed on where needed.

4. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

I've never tried to loosen the screws and move the output tabs, but I suspect that it won't work the way you're thinking. Be interested to hear if it does though.

You can bend both of those tabs off to one side if you have clearance issues. They don't have to come to a point like most diagrams show. As long as you have continuity between them you could actually bend each off a different side and solder a jumper between them.

5. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

good thinking, I hadn't thought about that!

thanks for the advice guys,
    J.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no messing with the screws holding the thing together, and i doubt liquid insulation would be reliable long-term.

+1 to just bending the tabs out of the way.