Switchcraft 380 plugs with Mogami 2319 cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shane77E, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Shane77E

Shane77E Member

Hi guys,

Since the Switchcraft 380 plugs do not have a cable clamp, my thin Mogami 2319 cable has a lot of room to move around. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how have you fixed it? Somekind of strain releif, heat shrink tubing, etc?

Thanks!

2. owen2j

owen2j Member

Heat shrink will help for sure, make it snug

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Yes.
    I haven't fixed it yet.
    Try with some plasticine or foam.

Suggestion: don't mix 2319 with those plugs.

4. Structo

Structo Member

Why not use different plugs?

I'm partial to the Neutrik or Amphenol plugs.
    They have strain relief built into the plug and
    the rubber end is small for thinner cable.

You probably know this but the Mogami 2319 is higher capacitance per foot than
    the Mogami W2524 which can affect your tone.

Think of your guitar cable as a long tone capacitor, that can affect the higher frequencies of a guitar.

When I have built new cables in the past I did business with this company.

http://www.redco.com/TS-Connectors/

5. Shane77E

Shane77E Member

Thanks, guys. I am wiring up my Musicomlab MKIV switcher and I'm using the Switchcraft 380s to save room. I don't plan on the cables moving much, but I'd like them to be more secure just in case.

6. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

7. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

All our builds are with those jacks and 2319. If your solder joint is correct you shouldn't need to worry about strain relief. Especially for cables that stay plugged in on a board.

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Switchcraft 380 pugs with Mogami 2319 is a good combination. Yes, make sure you use heatshrink over the cable and the terminals you solder the cables to. 3/8" heatshrink will slide over the assembly and will shrink properly over the soldered terminals and the cable well. I like to cut the 3/8" heatshrink to 7/8" in length so it shrinks over the cable and is long enough to provide strain relief just past the opening of the barrel of the plug.

9. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Suggest using heat shrink to build it up.

If well soldered a cable will often break somewhere else not at the solder joint if put under tension, and if used for pedals as a previous post mentions, not such a worry, however I'm thinking a big gap will allow dirt to get into the barrel and around the wires too easily which isn't ideal. You may also get some constant tension from your cable resisting any tight curves though the Mogami is spiral shield is it not, so perhaps not much resistance.

As another post points out, that particular Mogami is pretty high capacitance (at 155pF per metre according to manufacturer specs) for a modern bulk cable, so be aware for long cable combinations... especially for single coils unless you are looking to warm them up tone wise.

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Marc, Director
    Shootout Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  10. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

I see now the Musicomlab MKIV has a buffer inbuilt so no worries on the capacitance front if that's at the front end of the unit. With that Mogami it will be easy to ramp up the capacitance quickly on the way to the switcher, so if you have enough cable you could explore different guitar to switcher unit lengths to find your favourite tone... add more cable = gets less bright, though watch your resonant peak which can go through harsh frequency ranges before finally getting to very mellow.

Marc,
    Shootout Guitar Cables UK

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The reality is, that is just the outer casing of a larger diameter cable. With the design of the Seitchcraft 380 plug, you can only insert that strain relief only so far. A heat shrink tubing will provide ample strain relief while also providing shielding to the terminals at the same time.

12. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

hey shootout i was wondering if you could get some hi con jacks instock too the gold ones there really good too. im looking to cable up my board soon and im from the uk its hard to get sommer cables from anywhere in the uk other than thomann. will you sell them by meter or predone?

13. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

A way around this issue is to put a piece of shrink sleeving around the cable at each end before you solder both ends (As you stated).
    This will increase the diameter of the cable and usually seal things well.
    If its still loose, you can also add another larger piece of shrink sleeving over the other piece and also over the plug, then shrink that.
    That will seal things nicely.
    There is also shrink sleeving that has goop inside of it and when heated up the goop melts and creates a water tight seal (most of the time anyway).

Myself, I prefer Mogami W2524

14. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Hi, our cables will be shipping very shortly.

We do premades with 100% maximal strain relief.

Won't be using gold plated jack plugs for guitar cables due to galvanic corrosion.

Cheers,

Marc, Director
    Shootout Guitar Cables, UK