Switched from Kemper to AX8...

JerEvil

Vendor
Yup. Did the dirty. This is my first time using any Fractal stuff. Already wanting the Axe-II XL.

Initially offed the Kemper for strategic reasons. My rig was almost as bulky as my tube rig and I was starting to get burnt out hunting for profiles.

I am also having a custom guitar built. Selling the Kemper allowed me to pay off the guitar and cover the AX8. Figured if the AX8 didn't work out, Id just buy another Kemper. Easy peasy.

Did you ever see the movie "Millers Crossing"? I liken myself to Gabriel Byrne's character "Tom" in this scenario. I told myself I'd get another Kemper before the year is up and have both but honestly leaning towards the Axe II as I said.

Anyway, that is all. Still think the Kemper is killer and will likely get another in the future. Certainly no rush though.

Also, I gotta say, the AX8 is pretty damn easy to dial up good sounds. I expected a lot more tweaking and pulling out of hair.

I do need to learn how to use the onboard controls though.

scook

Also, I gotta say, the AX8 is pretty damn easy to dial up good sounds. I expected a lot more tweaking and pulling out of hair.

This is the best bit of consumer feedback to know about the AX8. Hard to learn the controls compared to Helix, but still easy as hell to dial in an amazing tone in minutes or even seconds.

JerEvil

Vendor
This is the best bit of consumer feedback to know about the AX8. Hard to learn the controls compared to Helix, but still easy as hell to dial in an amazing tone in minutes or even seconds.
Yeah. I literally got a preset with 5 different scenes done along with figuring out my button assignments in less than 30 minutes total tweak time.

Gearzilla

Yup. Did the dirty. This is my first time using any Fractal stuff. Already wanting the Axe-II XL.

Initially offed the Kemper for strategic reasons. My rig was almost as bulky as my tube rig and I was starting to get burnt out hunting for profiles.

I am also having a custom guitar built. Selling the Kemper allowed me to pay off the guitar and cover the AX8. Figured if the AX8 didn't work out, Id just buy another Kemper. Easy peasy.

Did you ever see the movie "Millers Crossing"? I liken myself to Gabriel Byrne's character "Tom" in this scenario. I told myself I'd get another Kemper before the year is up and have both but honestly leaning towards the Axe II as I said.

Anyway, that is all. Still think the Kemper is killer and will likely get another in the future. Certainly no rush though.

;)

ColdFrixion

It's good to explore all of the options. I own an XL+ and a Kemper and I love both units for different reasons. Compared to the Axe, the weak point in the Kemper are the effects.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
I wrestle with my Amplifire..... always tweaking and swapping profs.... but hoping for a mini rig for the church gig.

I just started screwing around with the morphing on my Kemper and that was kicking my ass till I figured out you can only use the items you have active........really opens up a lot of cool options....... BUT, I just opened another rabbit hole! :bong

Now I'll be shopping for an AXE .. Thanks J! :mad:

hippietim

That's the biggest issue with the AX8. It isn't difficult to dial up good tones at all. However, the navigation model makes it cumbersome. Fortunately, the editor is fantastic for creating presets and tweaking after the fact is not bad at all on the unit itself.

This is the workflow I use. I have a sturdy laptop stand that I bring right over to my jam area in the living room with my CLRs and small PA. I create my patches with the laptop using AX8Edit. I get things dialed in as close as I can in terms of levels and gain. Most of the time my delay, Reverb, and several effects are the same as other patches so they're a quick copy. At rehearsal I'll tweak with the unit itself since I'm too lazy to drag along a laptop and stand to rehearsal.

Sometimes I'll discover in rehearsal that I want a variation of a patch so I make a copy, tweak it, and save it with the first character changed to something nonsensical and fix the patch name later in the editor. Nobody has ever made a music processor or synth where naming the patch was not just a pain in the ass.

mbenigni

Just buy a KPA and attach an usb keyboard ;)

Is this a joke, or did Kemper actually add this functionality at some point??

I just started screwing around with the morphing on my Kemper and that was kicking my ass till I figured out you can only use the items you have active........really opens up a lot of cool options....... BUT, I just opened another rabbit hole! :bong

If Kemper ever adds the ability to morph between two rigs including the characteristics of two different profiles... that might lure me back into the fold.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member

If Kemper ever adds the ability to morph between two rigs including the characteristics of two different profiles... that might lure me back into the fold.
I think the usb keyboard works. Haven't tried yet. Morph between rigs would be next level awesome. That fits my workflow to an absolute T.

ColdFrixion

That...doesn't work, right? haha

To be fair - naming patches on anything with an iOS app (H9) is painless.... *sigh* if only Helix/KPA/AXE-FX had iOS/Android editor apps.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FracPad

FracPad.jpg

ShaunOsovs

Which doesn't work out of the box, is a 3rd party app, requires at very least a USB connection (in a live setting thats a VERY long USB cord I would need)...etc. IF you gotta buy adapters, long cords..etc how is it really any different from just hooking up to a computer? My point was we need bluetooth capability in future devices so that iOS/Android apps can be created that just work immediately.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member

I hear ya, I spent 20 minutes trying to morph my switched boost setting ...which sounded glorious.. then realized why it wouldn't stick.

Now where is my damn keyboard!

Back on track..... want to thank Jeremy for putting out some cool profiles with Tim. :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom