switching amp channels with the G system

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by barny, Mar 29, 2015.

1. barny

barny Member

im looking at getting a Tc electronics G system for to add fx plus switch my amp channels...the amps i have that i would like to do this with is a boogie Mk4 and a Redplate CDS2...does anybody know if it can be done and is there any issues in doing it....thanks

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Certain older Boogies don't work with the G System relays, I believe it's due to shared grounds in the amps external switching circuit. I'm not sure if the IV has this issue or not, though.

3. logdrum

logdrum Member

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

The Mark V works fine with the G System, as do most of their more recent amps. The only (minor) issue is that there is a VERY slight lag between hitting the button and the actual switching, but it only bothers some people.

5. barny

barny Member

thanks for the replies...:)

6. barny

barny Member

thanks .....so would you use 2 Y leads to set it up and can it switch the amp EQ separately

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

Yes. One cable for the two channel jacks (all three channels are switchable with just the two jacks), and one cable for the EQ and solo boost. The cables you need are insert cables, a standard Y adaptor cable won't work.

This is the style you need:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-TRS-M--Dual-1-4--Patch-Cable-100131136-i1166807.gc

8. barny

barny Member

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

I wasn't thinking about the Mark IV when I mentioned the solo and EQ switching. Those are switchable on the Mark V with an external switcher, the Mark IV may not have those switching options on the back of the amp.

10. barny

barny Member

yeah the mk4 has EQ switching but not solo boost but at least i know it will hopefully switch the EQ ideally i would like clean ...rhytmn and lead plus EQ so the ability to switch 4 things ..it would be perfect for me iff i could get that :)

11. somedude

somedude Member

you can minimize switching lag by playing around with which relays you're using..

For instance, when I first setup my G System I used relays 1 and 2 to switch amp channels and there was a lot of lag. Switching to relays 1 and 3 however were pretty much instantaneous.