Switching between a different neck radius

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just felt weird writing neck radii... I'm wondering if people here are pretty hardcore on the neck radius of their guitars (it's a VERY common question when attempting to sell a guitar - I've had people pass up buying guitars from me because I didn't know the exact radius of a guitar).
    In my case, I kind of like switching between different neck types, radius, fret sizes to shake things up. But, I have a Hamer Artist coming and I just noticed the radius is 14 1/2"... Holy cow that's flat! That's like flatter than flat, right? (ie. 12"). Currently my 2 guitars (all Tele's are Vintage necks, 7.5" radius).
    I really liked my Reverend guitars that all had 12" radius so I'm not too worried. I'm actually looking forward to changing it up a bit.
    Maybe this should be a poll? Or maybe not :)

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

A while back I was looking for a strat and found a 70's reissue of which I just loved the look. When I played it I went "ick" and wondered why it bothered me so. After some research I discovered that it had a 7.5" radius. I'd only played on 12's my whole life. I'd played for 30 years and never even knew what a neck radius was until then.

Now I need to know when I buy. I know I don't like 7.5 at all, and I love 12. I can't imagine a 14 would be a problem. The thickness and width of the neck is equally important to me as well. Sure I'll play a guitar with a different neck profile, but I prefer one built just so.

When I played my new Strat, which has a 12" C neck, it was just perfect.

GAD

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

More than a Gibson, less than a Martin.

4. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

I can adapt to anything but it's much easier to setup a 12" radius not to fret out then a smaller one... so I use 12" on all my guitars.
    My guitar tech loves me, every new guitar I buy gets radius change and new jumbo frets right from the start.

I'm not worried about resale value... I buy only a few guitars and I never sell them.

;)

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have 2 - 12", a 10" a 9 1/2" and a 7 1/2". They all work for me.

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I need 12" radius and 6105's or 6100's to be most comfortable.

My coming up strat project will have a neck with either 7.25" - 14" or 10"-14" compound radius.

16" could feel too flat and hard to bend on for me.

Tried them all and I'm very picky when it comes to radius, less so with colour as along as it's gold sparkle, ;) for this partscaster anyway.

7. bluesjuke

As long a guitar is set up correctly and the frets done well the radius doesn't bother me unless it's a too flat electric which for me is 14 and up.
    9.5- 12 is a favorite zone for me but a 7.25 done right is a dream to play.

The way the Fender CS Nocaster's are set up is a good example of this.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what kind of a procedure is involved in flattening neck radius??

9. bluesjuke

There are two things you can do.

A full out reradiusing involving removing the frets and planing the board and replacing the frets.

Or, for a lot less cost and labor you can reradius the frets which leaves the board as it was but the radius of the frets change.

WHile doing both but in particular the latter you can even do a compund radius getting larger as you go up the neck where most problems will arise on a smaller radius such as a 7.25".

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I like the 7.5 radius of my tele for comfortable chording below the 12th fret but combined with those tiny vintage style frets it makes buzz free bends in the upper register pretty hard to do compared to a flatter radius. I find the modern 9.5 fender radius to be a good compromise. 12 is OK too for LP's. I don't know if I would like a super flat radius like 15". I guess your gonna have to ship that Hamer to me, G so I can see for myself.:drool

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I will bring it up. I need to schedule another trip my friend. 14" is pretty freaking flat, but I'm digging it; I feel like it's a mix between an LP, SG and even a little small 335 with the semi-hollow vibe... great guitar.