Switching between front end of amp and effects loop send.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by megatrav, Jan 27, 2019.

1. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

Hi,

I am not sure if this has been covered before and I am also not sure how exactly to word it, but I will try to explain.

Lets say my amp has 1) a great clean channel or 2) it is a single channel amp and has a great overdrive tone, but I have a preamp pedal that offers either a great overdrive tone (1) or a greater clean tone (2) and I want to be able to switch between going into the front end of the amp or into the preamp that will be going in to the effects loop.

Is there such a device? Am I just needing a standard AB box or something different?
    The other pedals in the chain will be placed according to the order that works naturally (OD/Boost into the preamp of either the amp or pedal, time based and reverb into the effects loop after preamp going into loop)

(Edit) When I switch to the front end, I will want the preamp going into the loop to be switched off and no longer in the chain. So, I assume I need some sort of pedal looping system?

Thanks!

2. spentron

spentron Member

The most basic way would be a an A/B box in the effects loop, switching between amp effect out (send) and the external preamp. The 2 preamps could be energized simultaneously but you'd want to split the signal without loss e.g. a Y-cable following a buffer. Or there are pedal loopers that switch both ends simultaneously.

The Eric Johnson but with only one amp method would be to use a mixer in the effects loop mixing between seperate delay effects for the 2 preamps and switch/split the signal up front, for full independent delay trails but seems like it would be noisy.

megatrav likes this.
  3. megatrav

I have seen some pedal loopers like the ones from Boss. Would this be something that would work?
    I want to be able to switch with one button. I'm not trying to dance while playing ha.

4. bleu

bleu Member

Yep, with the Boss ES-5/8 you can easily accomplish this.

See3po likes this.
  5. beej

beej Supporting Member

AMT makes a few preamp pedals that do what you describe. You connect them to the front of the amp, and the effects loop. You can then use them to switch between your amp's preamp, and the preamp of the pedal, straight into the loop. Allows you add a second (or third channel).

megatrav likes this.
  6. megatrav

I saw that the new Victory preamps to this as well.

I have someone working on something pretty cool for me.

Its a dirty tube preamp. I am going to test it in to the front end of my amp first, but if it sounds better through the effects loop, I want to know what my options are!

I've never had the chance to play AMT stuff, but I have also never heard a bad thing about them.

7. bleu

bleu Member

Another possibly cool thing you could do with a Boss switcher (lol, no I'm not affiliated) would be to bypass your amp's pre altogether and use the outboard preamp in its place.

megatrav likes this.
  8. Kelly

Kelly Member

Synergy syn1 in the loop. It has the ability to be turned on or off, and still use the loop.

9. megatrav

This is what I am looking for!

Clean channel of the amp when I need it, one click, bypass the front end, straight in to the premap and into the effects loop

10. spentron

spentron Member

Every solution I described only has one footswitch. No dancing involved.

Consider an Ibanez tube screamer, the overdrive circuit in it runs even when the pedal is bypassed and it doesn't particularly hurt anything because the circuit has a buffer at its input before it splits the signal. That's internal to it but it also has another buffer at its output. You could use that to drive a Y-adapter to both preamps for the same reason.

However if have a pedal with true bypass, the footswitch must stop sending the signal to the effect inside when in bypass because there is no buffer, as well as switch the signal to be output. A passive effects switcher (not just a loop bypass switcher because you're switching between two effects chains, not just bypassing them) still only has a single footswitch but 6 jacks to hook it up.

Some preamps may have a buffered unaffected output, which could split the signal to the amp preamp there.

11. megatrav

I appreciate the response and I understand how buffered bypass vs true bypass works. I would like to try to explain myself better..

I have an amp that had a great clean sound. I also have a tube pedal that works best into an effects loop of an amp compared to the front end.

I want to be able to go from the preamp pedal that is running into the effects loop and bypassing the front end to the front end of the amp and take the pedal out of the chain with the push of a button.

I hope that makes more sense.
    It sounds like the Boss MS loopers or something similar is the way to go.

12. spentron

spentron Member

Are you using a buffered pedal such as a TS or many others in front of these preamps? If so all you need to split the signal without loading down the guitar is a Y-cable. Then all you need is an A-B box to select from the 2 outputs before the amp effects loop effects. If you don't have a buffer and don't want to add one, then there are passive switchers that could avoid that. The Boss is not one of them, it's extremely active. If it can be used for what we're talking about here, it works more like the way I'm describing. The first thing the guitar signal hits inside it is a buffer, and 90% chance the loop outs are always driven unswitched and the switching is on the returns only. It would work, but defines overkill to non-avoid a non-problem.

megatrav likes this.
  13. megatrav

Thank you kindly for that information. I will look into this further and see what I need to do to make this set up work for me.

spentron likes this.