switching between pick and fingers

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by macca, May 5, 2008.

1. macca

macca Member

I am awful at this and am Wondering how you all go from picking to fingerpicking and back again -- do you hybrid pick and lose your index? palm the pick -- where and how?

here's a vid of Pete Townshend where he seems to go effortlessly from fingerpicking to pick strumming right at the beginning -- how does he do it? it looks like he is able to palm the pick and use all his finger while fingerpicking, but the only way I palm the pick is to use one of my fingers to hold it in place, preventing me from using that finger during fingerpicking. Any insights? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x3rU2i9OJQ

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

HAve a loko at some Joe Bonamassa clips. He tucks his Jazz III away bewtween thumb and index, and plays quite well wiht his fingers in that position. Takes some practice, sure, but it's a good approach.
    Learning to hybrid pick is possibly easier.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Hybrid. I would love to learn to use a thumb pick, a la Brent Mason, but it feels like wearing something very uncomfortable on something very sensitive, so I just can't get the hang of it. ;) Some guys can do it while hiding the pick between middle and index fingers or middle and ring, whatever works.

Best of luck!

Dave

4. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I used to do one or the other exclusivley for years, then I got used to tucking the pick into my hand while finger picking. For the past few years for blues and rock I have mostly gone with keeping my pick between my thumb and index finger and and using my middle and ring finger interchangably. Not truely hybrid picking. It doesn't really fit any one particular traditional style, but it works for me. It has become part of my style, which isn't a bad thing.

5. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I mostly hybrid pick, its great. Albert Lee is the man. Brett Garsed also, in a rock context.

6. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I've been working on this lately and finally found a position I'm comfortable with but it seems there's always going to be a compromise. I tried holding the pick between two fingers or thumb and finger and just could not pick comfortably like that...it just didn't feel natural and there was always tension in the hand.

I recently started kind of flipping the pick over into my palm and cupping it in place with my ring finger. With the palm pointing slightly upward this is really a pretty natural motion, you really just let it fall into the palm. To return to picking position I just reach my thumb down and slide the pick up, it feels pretty natural to me but it's kind of hard to explain.

This leaves the thumb, index and middle fingers free for picking without any tension from trying to hold the pick in place...still a compromise but the best I've found so far.

-Mark

7. LP Deluxe

LP Deluxe Member

I've started doing alot of fingerpicking in the last few years. It's opened up a whole new world to me. I never was, or will be the fastest player, so I gotta have some style of my own, and fingerpicking along with the use of a pick, gives me lots of versitility.

I tuck the pick between my first and second finger, between theknuckle and first joint. This still allows me movement in all my fingers (beyond the first joint in fingers one and two), and eas access to the pick.

Dave

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Buddy Guys instruction DVD he talks about how he holds the pick with his ring finger and picky in his palm, its easy to do but only gives three fingers for fingerpicking, looks like Pete is using this as well, but its hard to tell, I have used it and it works fine, I hold the pick with my pinky in my palm but I have a hard time retrieving it when I am playing, but this gives me four fingers to play with,

Mike Oldfield holds the pick in mouth and looks very stupid IMO, that is a method that works for me as well, I look stupid with or without a pick in my mouth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVBGVI_hgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCXdgPHH54&feature=related

9. davya

davya Member

In a Robben Ford DVD he showed how he puts his pick in between his first and middle finger. I had given up on finding a way to "hide" my pick and still be able to comfortably use my thumb and three fingers untill I tried this!! Even with the pick I still use my middle and third finger in a hybrid style.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I hold it between the 1st and 2nd joints (2 closest my palm) of the ring finger on my right hand. Works for me. YMMV

11. mike80

mike80 Member

I can't use my middle and ring fingers (they move at the same time if I'm trying to finger pick) so it works best for me if I hold the pick in my palm with one of them, and use the other to play. I typically only use two fingers and a thumb for fingerpicking anyway, so it kinda works out.

12. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I usually stick it in my mouth, which doesn't allow you to move between the two as quickly, but works well enough for me.

Another option, if you have a mike, is to use a pick holder on the mike stand. Then you can just ditch the pick (just drop it to the floor), fingerpick, and then grab a pick off the mike stand.

Another trick I use when playing the strat is to wedge some picks between the body and the pickguard, where I can grab them quickly, then just ditch the pick when I want to fingerpick, and grab a fresh one from under the pickguard.

13. macca

macca Member

wow, lots of ideas

thanks and please keep them coming, I'm going to have to do some more experimenting

14. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I do as well.

15. macca

macca Member

I checked out some Bonamassa clips -- looks like he tucks the pick into his index finger and does not use that finger while fingerpicking? is that consistent with your understanding?

16. macca

macca Member

Dave, do you know of any drawings or videos showing this technique? I am having a hard time visualizing it, and my attempts at it always restrict my use of at least one finger

thanks

17. sabby

sabby Member

I moved to a thumb pick. Now I'm using no pick. Arrggghhh. Now I want a flat pick again.

18. macca

macca Member

Do you know which Ford DVD this is in? Looks like there are a few instuctional DVD's from him.

thanks

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

don't palm it. Stick it between your index and middle finger. That's what paul bollenback does and he can switch back and forth faster than anyone I've ever seen as well as play classical guitar style stuff with the pick tucked into his fingers. Look him up on youtube. You'll be amazed.

20. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Best thing I found is to stop using a pick, when you want a pick, press the thumb and index finger like your holding a pick, only no pick, and pick away, really easy to do, and can get the false harmonics using the nail.