Switching from 10's to 11's on tele -- do I need to have the nut slots widened?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Feb 20, 2008.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Just wondering if I should restring the guitar now and see how it goes, or bring it straight to the shop. It's a new Suhr Classic T (tele) that is beautifully set up and intonated now (PLEK'd + Buzz Feiten system), but I want to go with 11's.

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Just try it and see, that's really the only way. If you have tuning probs with little pinging sounds coming from the nut when you turn the tuners, or the action's too high at the nut, then you'll have to widen the slots a little.

No big thang - it's maybe a 10 minute job at your tech's place, especially considering it's a Suhr and probably has a great setup on it already.

Dana O.

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

I would, but that's mostly because I like to tinker more than play. First thing, string up the new gauge and see if there's any binding or ching-king when you tune up. No trem issues to worry about. You will need adjustments to the trussrod to account for slightly higher tension, then you'll be lowering the saddles a touch, then the intonation is going to need to be checked. SO, what you do need is a pro setup and that would include a touch up on the fret slots anyway.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I've changed all my guitars to 11's without issues ... a little Big Bends Nut Sauce and they're good to go.

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

My goodness, no! Don't do it!

Just kidding. I think you can change the strings without a trip to the shop.

6. Loobster

Loobster Member

I didn't. I prefer that they actually sit a bit higher on the nut. Raises the action up the easy way. I've got 11-54s on on of my teles and it's a beast to play, but sounds fantastic.

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've owned a few Suhrs which were set up for .10s from the factory and swapped for .11s on two of them with no problems whatsoever; barely needed to adjust the action at all on both -- go for it.

8. JMarck

JMarck Member

I recently put 12's on my tele and didn't need to.

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks a lot, everybody! I'll just go ahead and switch strings then.

The perfect answer! How cool is this place? :D

10. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question.

When modern wiring is done on a tele and the selector is on both pickups, are the pickups in-phase or out of phase?

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

parallel and in phase.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I switched from .10s to .11s on many guitars, including strat, tele, ES-335, ES330. No adjustments needed on any of them.

13. wc8485

wc8485 Member

I've gone from 9's to 10's(Thin/Thick GHS sets) on a couple LP's, and a PRS copy... I did get the little ching-king sound... as someone mentioned previously, Big Bends Nut Sauce...(or even scraping some pencil lead in there) helped alleviate this. FWIW.

14. Bob V

Bob V Member

So, I could've answered the original question by saying, "Only if you want to." ;)

My prediction however is that the original poster went to the trouble and expense of having a very high tech setup and intonation (Plek leveling and Buzzy) and all of that precision was calculated for a different gauge of strings so some of that money would be wasted without a tweak on the setup to accommodate a different string gauge.

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Devils advocate get some banjo strings use two on the guitar as high E and B then make the guitar 10 guage your G string.

I kid you not- you be twanging ala James Burton

regards

Groovey Records

Joe Tee