Switching from a Hot Rod Deluxe to most likely a SF Deluxe Reverb or DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by awaywardson, Sep 23, 2008.

1. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

what's a good distortion for a SFDR or DRRI? only dirt on my board now is FullDrive 2 Mosfet. was thinking maybe a Keeley RAT or Barber Direct Drive?? Nothing "metal-sounding" but a very nice crunch for rock rhythm, etc.

2. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

actually pulling the trigger on a TRRI... picked up a used DS-1 (stock) at GC this weekend - forgot how dirty those things could get! especially when i plugged in my LP and hit it with my FD2!! anyway, thinking now about a Crunch Box instead of the Rat or DD.

3. matthet

matthet Member

have you looked into getting your hrdx modded by omega?
    it sounds better than any stompbox!

4. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

As soon as my Twin Reverb comes in, I'm gonna put my hrdx up "for sale". Let the next guy have it modded by Omega. & i hope they're very happy together for a long time!!!

5. matthet

matthet Member

haha you have no idea, that Omega mod is a diamond in the rough!
    i have it, and it trumps anything i've played on! (and i've played on plently of reputable amps) i prefer my dirt channel on my amp now over my keeley bd-2, keeley ts-9, old school FDII, and bad monkey

ok, rant off

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

ah yes, good call on the switch. so have you tried the FD2 with the DR yet? what guitar(s) will you be using? just curious.

7. Puckman

Puckman Member

I play a DRRI with a Barber Direct Drive. Can't really go wrong with that combination.

8. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I'm generally not a big Fender Amp guy (I have a DR103 for my cleans), but the Deluxe Reverb is easily their most singular amp. The scooped mids chimey sound seems to be what fender does best, and when you push it just a little (just enough to get it to start to compress and grow a few hairs on the edge of the tone) it really shines. That tone is probably the only clean tone that plays itself because, for me, it has enough depth and soul where it's still clean but not tame.
    Go for a ZVex Super Duper to bring out its natural sound without blowing out your ears. Or, if you want, find a boost that has a midrange dial (Catalinbread makes one, I think, but it's more like a parametric EQ). Try not to go for an OD pedal because it colors an amp like that to much and makes it a bit nasal sometimes.
    Seriously; Boost > OD/Distortion in an amp like that. Just edge back the treble and jam it up.

9. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

i'm going for the clean sound, and wanting a few colors along the way. as the only guitarist in a 3-piece band that plays Texas country, old-school country, AND rock (classic and some current) I need a versatile set up and my hrdx wasn't it. so I'm going with the Twin Reverb for cleans, then adding the FD2 as needed, with the Crunch Box and DS-1 when called for. that Barber EQ has looked quite tempting... so with that set-up i should be able to really dial in anything i need from super clean to very hairy...

10. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

my main guitar is a 2004 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster (all stock) 10-46. My backups are a 97 Fender Am. Tele Plus (3 pickups, 7-way switching) also 10-46; and an Epiphone Les Paul Std. all stock 10-46...

So given 3 diff. guitars and a handful of dirt pedals into a clean amp, i should be able to get really any sound i want...

right???

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

definitely. though i've never owned one (but i hope to someday soon) i've heard a wide variety of great tones from them live and such. great platform for pedals imo.

12. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Is that Tele Plus loaded with Lace Sensors? I have a '94 with the dual red in the bridge and a blue in the neck. It's really smooth. They have a dark sound that's complimented well by brighter amps like that (though the red LS only sounds good overdriven to me). Great pickups, though.

13. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

yeah, it has lace sensors - i forget which is where. the neck pickup on mine was replaced before I bought the guitar. it's a Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy. Here's a closeup shot of my Tele - doesn't do it justice. It's a nice guitar, great binding!!

[​IMG]