Switching from EJ Strat to brand new Suhr Classic Pro SSH for Gig Tomorrow Night

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Art Vandelet, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Art Vandelet

Art Vandelet Member

Have been playing an EJ strat for last few years. Picked up a Danocaster but can't say I love it yet -- action came very high. Had it lowered but after gigging it, I'm still not 100% sure about it, and the vintage tone isn't as compatible for this band.

Have been wanting a Fat Strat and figured it with the Classic Pros coming on the market it was time to pull the trigger. Went for the sunburst and it arrived today.

I'm running it through a Duende (24W 6v6) with an Xotic EP booster and a Durham Mucho Boosto (and lots of other pedals of course). Definitely needed to dial it in tonight before sound check tomorrow but I think I have it.

So far the tone on the Suhr is fatter and a little less chimey and bright than the EJ, but the V70s have nice quack to them and the bucker has just the right amount of drive and bite. Action on the EJ is really low -- came like that from the factory and I'm very used to it; Suhr isn't quite that low (almost nothing else I've played is that low). But I also recall putting 9's on the EJ when I first got it because it wasn't as playable with 10's, and then switching to 10's after playing it a few times.

Anyway, new to this forum but I see lots of EJ Strat and Suhr players, so figured I'd bore everyone with this important news flash. I'll be back Sunday to report on how the Suhr performs live.

2. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Congrats! Suhr makes my favorite S type.

3. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

How do the necks compare on the EJ and the Suhr?

4. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Interesting. I just recently got a Suhr too with the V70's (S/S/S) and found them to have plenty of highs and "chime". In fact I was quite surprised. I expected them to be a bit more "warmer" I guess. But I haven't played the EJ Strat you're comparing to (though given EJ's tone, I had assumed- erroneously apparently- they would be a bit warmer and not as bright.

Anyway as the Suhr is great. The anti-hum system is awesome and actually took me a minute to get used to as I keep expecting that hum.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I've been absolutely loving my Classic Pro since I got it a month or so back. Even more once I swapped out the V70 bridge for a V60LP bridge. As far as chime and brightness goes, I wonder how much of that is the pickups and how much is other factors in the construction of the guitar (the bridge, the SSC system, other stuff I'm not thinking of :D). I had a set of ML Standards in a Hamer Daytona and when I compared them to a Suhr Classic with the same woods, the ML Standards in the Suhr were fatter and smoother. Not comparing apples to apples, but I think I like the V70's more than the ML (other than the bridge pickup).
    -
    Austin

6. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I used to play fender strats and once I got my Suhr it just sounded different. Did a couple of gigs with it and after a couple of weeks I compared it to the fender and the Suhr just sounded so much better. You need a couple of gigs to adjust to the difference in sound and feel of a similar guitar style.
    About the action on the danocaster... He tends to cut the nut on his guitars a little too high. I have a dano jazzmaster and I used to have one of his strats and I did have to take them both to my tech to get the nut properly leveled. My jazzmaster feels amazing since I did that!

7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Another HSS Classic Pro owner here. Fiesta Red with a rosewood board. I'm loving it. It does have a slightly warmer tone with a bit less quack than my old '62 Strat. However, it plays A LOT better - not that my old one was a slouch, mind you - and has way more sustain. The humbucker is fantastic as well. I'll be hanging onto this one for a looooong time. :D

8. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Minor tangent but my Suhr Classic Pro T is just great. No interest in any other Tele style guitars any longer. Neck shape, fretwork, are perfect. I have a Grosh EJ which has (had) the best fretwork I've ever seen and the Suhr Pro is just as good.

Would love an HSS in Fiesta red...maybe it'll be next!

9. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

It's actually Art Vandelay.

10. Art Vandelet

Art Vandelet Member

So I was planning to use the Suhr for the first half of the set and then switch to the EJ, but it just didn't work out that way. So I played the Suhr the whole set.

Very playable guitar. I'm still finding my comfort zone on tone, but the bridge/middle position (always my favorite on a SSS strat) was very nice and not that much compromise from a SSS configuration. The bucker had nice power and bite. A little thicker of course than the bridge on the EJ or my Dano, but that's the point. I still need to dial in on the rig, but all in all I liked the sound.

In terms of the neck, I'm not a discerning enough player to tell too much about the neck similarities or differences, other than (and some of these are obvious):

- The Suhr has more of a matte finish on the neck; the EJ is a glossier nitrocellulose; I like both but the Suhr is easier to navigate before it's broken in

- The frets seem much bigger on the Suhr; the place I notice it is in the heel of my palm as I'm moving along the fret board (I'm a thumb over guy). I feel the frets as I'm moving my hand. I don't know if that's because the EJ frets are rolled and the Suhr aren't, and it's not a good/bad thing, just a difference

- There's a little fret buzz on the Suhr; nothing major and nothing that comes through the amp

- As noted above, action on the EJ is lower; this may be a myth or my mind playing tricks, but I feel like my guitars break in a little and the action comes down just a little. I remember putting 9's on the EJ when I got it because it seemed a bit tough for me to do string bends and then moved back to 10's after a few months.

- Tremolo on the Suhr is light years better than the EJ. I don't even attach the whammy bar on the EJ (not even sure I know where it is!). The Suhr bridge can bend sharp or flat -- the EJ only goes flat so I just use it as a hard tail.

All in all, very happy so far with the Suhr. I usually like to rehearse a few times with a new axe before gigging it, but this one got a sound check and a little green room time and then off we went. I still love the EJ and can see using both, but the Suhr -- particularly because of the humbucker -- is going to be seeing alot of time in the rotation.

11. Art Vandelet

Art Vandelet Member

John, I can't seem to find this anywhere on web.

On the Classic Pro SSH that are currently shipping in position 4 (bridge/middle) I assume bucker is coil split. Is the standard wiring parallel or series?

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

In the bridge only position, it's wired like a regular humbucker; both coils in series. In pos 4, it is split to one of the coils; I believe the stud coil, but you can tap the polepieces on the coils when in pos 4 with a small screwdriver to figure it out for sure.
    -
    Austin