Switching From FF to Muff Style Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger72, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

After years of using Fuzz Face variants I will be retiring the landmine off my main pedalboard in favor of a Big Muff style fuzz.
    I had already been having issues with our LED stage lights causing horrible noise issues (no issues with the lights off,) but I also recently switched to wireless and that was the real nail in the coffin as it sounded pretty horrible with the buffered signal hitting the FF (an EJ signature in this case.)
    I know Muffs are not as finicky about buffers, so it was the logical choice - I do know that the Muff style fuzz will be different, but I'm a huge David Gilmour fan so I'm OK with that.

I'm planning on going with a Manx Loughtan - now, I'm used to running the fuzz into an overdrive to get that classic Jimi/EJ Fuzz-into-Marshall tone - but with a muff circuit would I still need to run the muff into an overdriven signal or run it into a clean?

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Any decent muff will sound awesome through a clean amp. An overdriven signal will just add noise. Well, probably mids too. See if you have enough mids before deciding.

jm9239, Auditory Driving and jnam like this.
  3. orogeny

orogeny Member

so strange skredster just showed up
    i was about to recommend the lundar module
    get your FF without the noise issues

4. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

Does a Muff style circuit react to things like stage lighting, etc the way a Fuzz Face does? As much as I loved the Face, it was so darn finicky about things like that when none of my other dirt boxes were.

5. bobbradley

bobbradley Member

I see a tone bender in your future :)

chilln and Sunstone Recordings like this.
  6. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

it will pick up noise, since it is a high-gain circuit; but it's not running at gains like a Fuzz Face where the transistors are creating distortion because they run into the limits of the power supply, and the muff circuit also has high-cut filters at each of the 1st 3 gain stages that will cut noise. So probably not so much.

jm9239 likes this.
  7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I preferred the Manx after OD. That really is a nice sounding Muff, can go all the way down to a overdrive sounding fuzz, most muffs can't do that. Nice slight octave up overtones too. Great pedal.

No worries about interference, it's not prone to that, not any more so than your average OD pedal.

Ezzy911 likes this.
  8. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

Cool - like I said, all of my other dirt boxes act just fine when the light are up, but the F'Face noise was almost louder than the actual signal - stop playing and it was unbearable.
    Then I went wireless and it sounded like a can of angry bees ALONG with the unusable noise, so here I am.
    Really frustrating because with the LED stage lights off I could use the fuzz in rehearsals, but come time for the real deal it became useless.

The thing that appeals to me about the Manx is the separate treble and bass controls - all my favorite dirt boxes have individual treble and bass - allows you to dial in that perfect balance of bigness and clarity.

9. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

It's got the same tone stack as the Timmy (actually it might be deeper than that, been a while). It can sound like pretty much any muff, but I set mine more to sound like a distortion - kind of like a Muff/Rat hybrid.

10. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

As was stated earlier, muffs sound good into a clean amp. I prefer od after a muff for two reasons. First, muffs clip a lot, meaning they compress a lot, meaning running a hot signal from an od into the muff just gets dirtier without any type of volume bump. Second, running an od after a muff, especially a tube-screamer type od, effectively eqs the muffs output providing focus and a volume bump if needed.

11. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

I like them after OD. You can keep the gain lower and hit the drive pedal to excite the higher frequencies. It really helps things cut and gives you some of your transients back just a little. I love big muffs. The Manx is nice. Its pretty hard to go wrong with a muff but I would get one that had some type of mid adjustment. The Deluxe big muff has a gate if your super concerned with noise. At a very low setting it doesn't kill your sustain too bad and completely eliminates noise. Also, it sounds great and is super flexible. The downside is that it is huge.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  12. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

So I got the Manx in yesterday and am digging it - but honestly it sounds great either way - both into clean or into an overdriven signal.
    Obviously into a clean signal it sounds brighter and more scooped - have to lower the highs and up the sustain, which starts to bring in more noise.
    Into a low gain overdrive it feels a little more like a fuzz face - more mids, etc. I can run the sustain around 2 o'clock and noise reduces nicely.
    I think the real test will be to try it both ways in a live band setting to see which sits in the mix better.

13. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

I have a Manx and a FF on my board.

Try running the Manx with the gain really low - under 9 o'clock. Pump up the volume and I find I generally have the treble at 12 and the bass around 2. It's a really fat FF sound I find. You get about 1/2 the normal clean up ability of a FF. I'm running mine into an overdrive

14. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

So I got to try it with the "big rig" last night and have to admit - I still really like it.
    Again, I think the thing that makes it work is that Baxandall tone stack - being able to boost or cut treble and bass independently is REALLY cool - you can actually dial both back and up the volume and you get a mid bump that cuts through the mix better than either a stock Muff or a F'Face.
    I ended up putting it in the lead loop, getting all the gain from the pedal with no overdrive after - it actually works as a lead sound against my high gain rhythm setting, which is brighter and more scooped (duh, of course a Muff would match with that.)
    Also tested it with the stage lights on and the buffered wireless - everything worked fine without roaring electrical noise or flatulent insect sounds.

15. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I like my Muff after overdrive. I really like how the muff doesn't seem to be very sensitive about placement. My two muff variants are relatively mid gain compared to some of the ones I've seen out there, and either one sounds amazing when hit hard with an overdrive. Gives a bit of a mid bump, and puts both into insane amounts of gain territory. Sounds better than my amp distortion. I haven't had any noise issues aside from the inherent noise you get by amplifying your signal that much, and having to mess with the placement of my pedal power digital. Once that was placed properly I was good to go.