Switching from Tempurpedic mattress.... Advice?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tremonti, Apr 9, 2015.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Ok. Gone through 3-4 different mattresses over the past 8 years. Non tempurpedic always built gullys on both sides. Had last tempurpedic mattress replaced 6 months ago because it seemed to have a ridge or spine in middle. Now this tempurpedic seems to do the same. Rooms to go is coming out to evaluate next week. What mattress should we look into that won't build up gullys and won't have a spine that is raised down the middle?

2. hellbender

hellbender Member

Select comfort.

Never wears out like conventional mattresses.

3. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I hear good things about Casper and Sleep Number.

4. JMC

JMC Member

Have my second Tempurpedic, and only bought it to move from queen to king. First one did have a small gully on my side, after I was bedridden for a 9 month illness/treatment/recovery. Tempurpedic won't replace the mattress unless you can stand a quarter in the hole, and Lincolns head is below a ruler laid across the 'hole'.

All that said - love both beds. Moved the queen to our guest room. Didn't want to give up the adjustable part of the queen. Didn't get the adjustable frame for the king, but did get an upgraded, softer mattress.

5. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

My wife and I ran into this same issue. We're not small people and most mattresses would sink and settle in after varying amounts of time. I also have some back issues which are exacerbated by things such as bad alignment while sleeping.

Solution? It's actually pretty simple and it flies in the face of what nearly everyone will tell you. I explained this to my Chiro and my physical therapist and their eyes got BIG and I saw the light go off in their head as it clicked.

Here's what you do:
    Get the firmest, best built innerspring that you can find. Do NOT get anything with extra cushioning. No plush tops, no pillowtops. Just firm and "tight top", as they're called. The ones that are built well will last longer than any type of foam-based material will. Period.

Next, get a good quality topper of your liking. This can be any type of material. Convoluted foam toppers, memory foam, latex (highly recommended). I'd suggest nothing over about 3" or so, especially if you're a heavy person.

Now, you're dealing with a "sleep system" of sorts. The topper will eventually wear out and now, rather than replacing your entire mattress, you can simply replace the topper(s) as they wear out. The other advantage is that you can even purchase two different types of toppers and cut them to fit each side of the bed so that you and your partner can each have your own surface that works for you. No worrying about "air chambers", etc.

I've actually been working on an e-book about this very thing. Hopefully it helps.

6. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Select Comfort (AKA Sleep Number) is the way to go. Be sure to get a model with two separate chambers and controls (King and I think, queen.) You'll thank them over and over and over, every time you pass the place!

My wife and I will readily admit this bed is the best purchase we've ever made, aside from our house itself.

HMTM

7. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Agreed on all points. Had ours for five years & love it.

8. rsm

rsm Member

I have a Casper. I dig it.

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Another sleep number fan here. Ours is going on 10 years old.
    As goofy as this sounds, we bought ours from QVC on TV. They have a special arrangement with Select Comfort-they produce special upgraded models just for QVC and offer them in weekend blasts.
    They also offer more warranty coverage than Select Comfort Stores. We had the LED on a wired pump display go bad after 5 years. The bed itself was still fine-you just couldn't read the number. We called a special toll free number for QVC customers and they overnighted an entire new pump assembly to us for free.
    When the time comes we will replace it, but at nearly 10 years we can't find a reason. You can also get replacement components so if an air chamber or foam section needs to be replaced you don't have to buy a whole new bed.
    The last great thing is the portability and ease of setup. Our stairs turn 180 degrees halfway up-really difficult to get a conventional king mattress up the stairs without trashing the walls. No such problem with the Select Comfort.

10. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

We bought a king Select Comfort in 2005 and it's still going strong. The pump went out once, and with the pro-rated warranty we had a new one delivered, with upgraded wireless dual remote for under $50 shipped.
    very satisfied with ours.

11. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I like our sleep number. I like being able to adjust it and it came with a thick memory foam top.

12. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

My dad followed this strategy and he likes it. He paid a great deal for an excellent quality topper with various types of memory foam. Unfortunately, when I tried sleeping on the bed, My pressure points (shoulder and hip) sank down in through the foam and hit the solid rock of the firm mattress. It was extremely uncomfortable for me. I weigh more than him, so that may have been the problem. But for me there is no substitute for the Tempurpedic Classic. I don't even like any of the newer refinements. Just give me the plain Jane classic version.

13. getbent

getbent Member

Duxiana.

this is not difficult.

14. M40A1

M40A1 Member

I have a Sleep Number, and my number is 80! No more back pain for me when I get out of bed.

15. BrentSSL

BrentSSL Member

Can't stand the temburpedic I have but its a bit older and the gf insists on using the right size frame its like sleeping on a water bed with concrete mix that never dries inside.

16. fish78

fish78 Member

Don't know the construction details, but am sleeping on a Simmons BeautyRest Fischer Island...not sure more expensive models could improve it...apparenty, its some sort of hybrid...coil springs, gel and foam of some sort....all I know is that it is as comfortable of a mattress as I have ever encountered.

17. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Another vote for Select Comfort, but get the plain top. Don't let them talk you into the multi layer pillow top. If you prefer a squishy top layer, take Drumnbum's advice and get a separate cusion that you can replace.

18. TNO

TNO Member

Try latex and there's no going back. We bought one online about a decade ago. It's held up great and I'm a big guy.

19. Lution

Lution Member

Toxic Bedrooms. Read this book, then hopefully go for an organic mattress from Lifekind or Omi. Stay away from memory foam.

20. tremonti

tremonti Member