Switching to 9's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steeeve, Sep 24, 2005.

1. steeeve

steeeve Member

11's became 10's and now 10's will become 9's.

There. I said it. None of my friends understand why this is a big deal.

2. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I use 10's on the wrapped strings and 9's on the unwrapped (9-46).
    I found this combination best for me. Fatter sounding cords with easy bendability.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've used 9's for years and have never had a problem with soundding thin or small.

Welccome to the club:D

4. FUSER

FUSER Member

There is 9.5s. i use it. Just right.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Oh great, I already feel the obsession with "the perfect tone" on this forum dwindling down. Soon, all you pedal-whores will start asking the dreaded question "Do I really need all this?"

Sure you'll be a poor man with no pedals, but you'll be rich in other ways. Like monetary.

Anyhow, I hate to be a blasphemer, but I'm quite happy with my board. It sounds great, is versatile, and fulfills all my needs. Hell, it's sexier than your wife. Especially yours.

Now that I'm done with pedals, ON TO AMPS! I've gotta say, though, I couldn't have built such a great rig without ya guys. Cheers!

6. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Billy Gibbons uses 8's...on an LP. I've heard a lot said about his tone. Thin has never been a word I've heard associated with it though.

However, I used to use 8's...years ago. Then I moved to 9's and stayed there for years while I wasn't playing out. About 3 years ago when I started playing every week...multiple times per week...I moved to 10's. Not for the tone difference. Just because the 9's started feeling too thin to me. I'm actually considering moving to 11's now.

It's a comfort thing for me. I like a little resistance. The more I play the stringer my hand gets. I wouldn't stress over it if I were you. Personally I think SRV was a bit of a nut case using those bridge cables he used. Johnny Winter doesn't use 'em does he? And to me SRV copped his tone.

Ok...go on and slag me for that last comment. I can take it.

jeffhef

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

ewww...... Boomers 11-50 for me.... :D

8. Ryan

Ryan Supporting Member

I have 11's right now...been thinking about dropping down to 10's or 9's...

9. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the guitar-
    I like a standard 11-49 set on my McCarty, 10-52 on my tele, and 10-52 on my Epi Riviera w/Bigsby. I usually use 11's on any Gibson scale guitar, except the Epi as the Bigsby makes note bending a tad harder.
    But whatever works is what works for you....plenty of my fave guitar players used 9's (Jimmy Page) or even 8's (Albert Lee, Brian May) at some point in their careers. But I do like the tone/tuning stability I get from 11's, they really make my McCarty come alive.

10. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Feel your pain I do.
    Always... ALWAYS played 12 - 52 (15 years...) 'cause it felt right - nice resistance - can play hard. Big tone (not just 'cause 'a the strings, tho - we all know that).

Wrist hurting too too much. Numb fingers, especially after bending lots. :(

Switched to 11s. Took over a year to come to terms with it and actually make the switch. It was inded a BIG deal.

Went to Snake Oils... NEVER LOOKED BACK! So, so happy now! :cool:

11. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

The heavier gauges are absolutely necessary - to me - if you're detuning or doing Drop D. I've been playing a lot of Drop D lately and the 10's feel a little slinky.

jeffhef

12. steeeve

steeeve Member

The pain is one reason, plus I'm playing mainly country now. I definitely like the way my 10's feel. A mixed set is not a bad idea.

I think 9's are easier to play while drunk. That's the most important thing.

13. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

D'Addario makes 9.5's which I use on the majority of my instruments now. They really are noticeably different from both 10's and 9's, probably worth a shot if you're trying to go lighter.

FWIW I have a Tele where the high E and B felt too thin but the low strings were perfect. A friend who works at Joe Glaser's shop understood exactly what I was talking about; thanks to him that guitar gets the 9.5 set but with a .12 on the B and a .10 on the high E. Perfect solution for me.

Oh, and don't be mislead by my address - I play rock, not country.

14. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I've been using 11s on my LP for years now (no down tuning). I just love the tone and feel of a fatter string. Like someone else say, you get used to them and just can't go back to thinner strings. Whenever I play a mate's guitar with 9s I feel like I'm playing with rubber bands! Am even considering moving to 12s, the problem is no-one round here seems to sell 12s with an unwound 3rd... Crap.