SWR Redhead your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by GM1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. GM1

GM1 Member

Another guitar player here who possibly will be picking up gigs as a bass player, so I'm trying to get a handle on bass gear. Over the years I have played with guys who used the SWR Redhead and I always thought the Redhead sounded pretty good. For club work R&B, Funk and Rock is this a good choice? Or is it outdated compared to newer companies like Markbass? Your comments are much appreciated as I know almost nothing about bass gear.

2. trivial

trivial Member

I dig the readhead but with that said I liked the Eden metro better (so I bought one). It just seemed to sound a bit better to me... However if I had to do it again I would get a separate head and cab.

3. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I love Redheads...I mean SWR Redheads! That has to be one of the best sounding bass combos ever made. If you can find a clean one that was made in the USA...and you don't mind the weight...buy it.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Good sound, but I couldn't keep up with a loud drummer when I used one a few times.

5. GM1

GM1 Member

Do most bass players prefer seperate head cab setups? Just wondering, also the new Readhead is 400 watts is that the right amount of power for club gigs?

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The bass player in a band I was in a couple of years ago used one. His couldn't hang with our drummer either. And when he tried to keep up, the darn thing would over heat and shut down.

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

Obviously I cannot speak for everyone, but I prefer the head/cab configuration. It just gives you a lot more flexibility. You scale up or down the size of your rig according to your needs with a head and a few cabs.

For me -- 400 watts is the bare minimumOf course, with a good FOH sound 400 watts is enough to monitor yourself. But 400 watts can get lost with a loud drummer or in a big room.

8. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Me too, usually.

That said, I just sold a Trace Elliot V-Type combo to a forumite that I've been gigging in different rooms for years. Loud as hell - never turned it up even half way, despite playing with 2 blaringly loud, Marshalled guitarists and a real loud drummer. Mine was a very portable 1 x 15". 500 watts peak.

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I still think the sound of the Super Redhead is great and not something that will ever be outdated. In fact, I'm finally bringing myself to sell mine (with flight case) since switching to the Bergantino IP series with a Millennia TD-1 (a ridiculously expensive hi-fi rig).

Also, Redheads sounds fantastic when paired with a Son of Bertha 1x15 cab.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

11. Thor

Thor Member

My exact experience as well. For a lack of a better description, I found the Eden a bit warmer.

Eventually I would like to return to a head and cabs set-up, but just don't have that need at the moment.

Happy hunting,

Edward

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The redhead combined with the triad cab is still a great rig, imo. The latest one with the tube DI and 400 watts looks sweet.

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

well, I've finally brought myself to selling mine if anyone's looking:

[​IMG]

14. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Cool little amps... I like them. I've heard of reliability issues with them though. I'm primarily a bassist and I use an SWR Goliath III cab, power amp, and tube pre. The cool thing about that is you have choices. With a combo, obviously you're stuck. Also, if I need more power, I can sell my 900 watt power amp and get something bigger in the same 2 rack space size. The tube pre really brings the solid state power amp to life. The highs out of my GIII cab are so nice! Very audiophile sounding rig.

But that's my opinion... small rack and 410 with horn sounds better than a combo (and it's louder!!)

15. GM1

GM1 Member

thanks for the info, so what amp and pre are you using? I noticed SWR make a SM 900 is it close to what you are referencing?

16. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

I'm using an Alembic style tube pre that I built. It's basically a Fender AB-763 circuit (i.e. blackface normal/vibrato channel preamp). It has great lows and very nice mids.

Many people swear that solid state sounds better for slap, I may have to agree on that one. But for fingerstyle playing the clarity out of tube is so nice. The highs can't be beaten.

One great pre if you have the money is the Kern IP-777. I've not read a bad thing about it. I had one a few years back and sold it when I first got married (really needed the money). I wish I hadn't.

17. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I prefer seperate head/cabs.

Doing the "rock" thing, I need more than a 2x10. Weight spirals out of control with 4 10s, 3/4" plywood and 600w of amp...

Personally, I think 300w is the lowest I'd want to go doing the "rock" thing.

I love the way my SM-900 sounds, however I've had QC and reliability issues with mine. Mine's a late pre-Fender head. Don't know anything about the new stuff.