SWR SpellbinderBlue Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by poOk, May 29, 2015.

1. poOk

poOk Member

Summoming all bass amp knowledge. My buddy's SWR SpellbinderBlue has an inconsistent scratchy tone. I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's not a cap because it won't do it after LONG heavy sustain. It's not a tear in the speaker...moves freely. No obvious issues inside or out. I'm not a tube guy....could a tube cause an intermittent issue like this? Could it be as simple as the Gain pot i was turning in the vid?

2. poOk

poOk Member

Signal chain is Schecter Studio 4 leftie > Monster Cable > SWR. No pedals. Ti rule out bass and cable: multiple basses were used and Multiple cables were used.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

3. poOk

poOk Member

4. poOk

poOk Member

5. DeepBlueC

DeepBlueC Supporting Member

Hi. I've had an original SM-400 since 1986 when Steve Rabe was still making them in his garage. I've loved SWR's ever since.

The Spellbinder Blue is based on the Baby Blue (one of the greatest bass amps ever as far as I'm concerned) and has a tube preamp driven by a 12AX7. Definitely start there. Open her up, pull the tube, clean the sockets with some DeOxit (work it in and out of the sockets with the old tube), and put in a new one. If that doesn't work, you've eliminated the most likely culprit and can go from there. Good luck!