SX Tele- My make over

JMPRO

Not a bad guitar when I got it but I wanted something a little different. I refinished it in blond. I recut the headstock to my favorite shape and added threaded inserts to the neck joint. The pups, pots and switch were replaced and I made a new pickguard. The bridge and saddles were upgraded and I polished and trued the frets. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be but it turned out pretty nice.

Structo

I have one of those in butterscotch.

Is that the stock neck? Mine has the standard black fret dots.
Did you put a tummy cut on it as well?

Looks real nice!

JMPRO

The guitar has the belly cut and the neck is stock except for the headstock. I only had to polish the frets a little and dress the ends for it to be avery good neck. I refinshed the guitar once, didn't like it and stripped it down and refinished it again. Much of the time I spent on it was because I either didn't know how to do it right the first time or because I changed my mind about what I wanted.

The bag is something new I designed and had made up. This is the first sample and maybe I can sell them.

JMPRO

Just an update. I don't play much any more because of my hearing but a friend asked if he could try out the Tele on a gig. Man he was so impressed he wants to buy it. I really don't want to sell it right now so he wants me to make one for him. I had so much time in this thing I'm not sure I want to do that although as they say "I went to school on that one" so the next one should be easier. I still have the templates for the headstock and pick guard so the next ones will be easier to make.

JMPRO

JMPRO

Did you have to fill in holes in the body when changing the bridge.
Yes I did. I decided that it was to hard to completely hide the old holes so I filled the old holes with rosewood plugs so they show through the finish and look like they belonged there. Good old Norm Abrams said if you can't hide a repair then celebrate it and make it look like it was part of the design. You can just faintly see the 3 plugs behind the bridge.
I did find the link for that bag.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fender-Tele...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:3|39:1|240:1318

JMPRO

I started with this one http://www.rondomusic.com/stlash.html
The good thing about this one is you don't have to strip the old finish to do a new one. Just sand it down a little so the new finish has a bite and your goog to go. I don't have another pic of the headstock handy. It just looks like a Tele. Thanks for all the kind words. This model comes with the tummy cut and forearm bevel.

guitbeef

Looks great, and I appreciate the thread- not too many threads at TGP about the SX's. I have a STL50 coming, should be delivered tomorrow.

Jerryr

Great looking guitar....

I'd like to have a Tele with a HB at the neck. That might be a great guitar to mod.

guitbeef

JMPRO will of course be the guy to respond, but upon my research I think I remember most guys at tdpri reporting that the bodies were routed for neck humbuckers.

how are the pickups? Can you put a humbucker in the neck without routing?
I believe the SX teles are routed for humbucker. I haven't had a chance to take the pickguard off of mine to check, but there's a YouTube video in which a guy demonstrates how to insall pickups and he put a humbucker in the neck.