SXSW

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Pablomago, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

A bunch of local bands are going down this year doing a 24 bands in 24 hours thing to show off our local music scene. But for what purpose? Does anyone actually get anything out of SXSW? All my friends in Austin leave town when it comes around and rent out their apartments for the weekend to make extra cash.

So is SXSW actually useful to anyone who plays to further their careers? Is it just bragging rights? What are your experiences and opinions?

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I played it backing up a singer-songwriter in 2002.

It was fun but didn't do anything for anyone in terms of publicity or anything.

So closer to bragging rights.

3. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

bragging rights. seems kinda dumb these days.

4. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I know a pair of great people in northern MN who walked away from SXSW with a contract. Probably rare, but it happens.

5. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Meh, SXSW used to be a huge music event but now it is just a huge corporate event. Even Bravo TV has events :waiting

Basically it was cool until smart phones--seems that was when everything exploded, I've been going since 1997ish...?

Few bands carry/sell merch since the venues are so packed. Your right must be something you can easily carry unless the event is backlined (which many are). You might get decent exposure if you play a packed house but I cannot see some nobody band getting anything out of the journey other than the experience which could be shite.

6. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I think it depends on a lot of factors. If you are just playing one show at some out of the way club, probably not going to help much. If you play one of the major clubs plus some of the big free shows and you have shows scheduled every day somewhere, you'll have much greater exposure and a better chance for the right people to see you. Alabama Shakes were a SXSW success story and here is their schedule from 2012: http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_MS15822 - 3 shows, 1 of them at Stubbs ( one of the best places to play at ) and they probably played sets at off schedule partys and showcases. I hope your band doesn't have to play anytime in the 4am-8am slot, probably not a lot of action then.

7. Creighton

Creighton Member

Yes there's alot of startups and annoying corporate involvement, but along with that comes alot of great music, free booze and a week long party. It's still a great festival, nothing else like it anywhere in the world. Not sure about getting signed to a label or anything. Doesn't mean that much anyways these days aside from distribution. Who of you complaining about it have actually been to the festival in recent years?