Sylvania 12AX7 "dark horse"

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Jun 5, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Seems most Sylvania grey plates arent very sought after or respected. I personally dont care for the long plates. However I found this short plate with square getter wire to be excellent for fattening up an amp(especially overdriven). Its got a big bottom and LOTS of mids/low mids.The highs arent the clearest or most well defined but for fat od sounds it cant be beat.Ive a/b'd it againts a LOT of tubes(just about everything except a tele smooth plate) and it still comes out a winner for crunch/od sounds.Well I know I'll probably get flack for this "review" but thats how I hear it.[​IMG]

2. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Very cool, thanx for the tip ;)

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Fascinating! I've never seen a short-plate Sylvania like that. In fact, I've never seen a short-plate 12AX7 with a square-getter ('50s?). Hey, whatever works, is great!! I don't like the lack of clarity in long gray-plate Sylvania 12AX7, but I do like the older black-plate version.

Your description sounds like it may be similar to an RFT ECC83. Have you tried those? How do they compare?

- T

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

To my ears the this Sylvania sounds less "compressed" (for lack of a better word) more open than the RFT.Probably cause it doesnt break up so quickly like the RFT. Bigger -more fat sounding overdriven/less fizz?than the RFT. In other words I like the break up on these more than the RFT. I will try them against the RFT's again but my impressions of the RFT hasnt endeared me to them so far-unlike these Sylvanias.Ive got a bunch of these Sylvanias and will keeping them above others.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

no flak at all! Sounds great! any time you can find a tube that you like that's not "blue chip" then buy as many of 'em as you can. They'll only get more and more expensive.

I like the longplates in my Farfisa organ!