• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 triple mica blackplate? Info please?

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
What can you tell me about the Sylvania Gold Brand blackplate triple mica 5751 tubes? Square getter, S shield lightning logo on box and tube, late 50s I guess. Box alternates blue and gold. 5751 etched on tube. Regular metal pins. FB printed on tube as well as:
Sylvania
Gold Brand
Made in USA...last two lines small print below large Sylvania

Thanks.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
It is a coveted tube, and audiophiles will pay top dollar for it. Its character is much like GE 3-mica black-plate 5751 of the time: bright, very clear, dynamic. It is one of the best 5751.

What did you want to know about it? I presume you know that the 5751 is a lower-mu sub for 12AX7, and it will yield less breakup, compared to the 12AX7.

- Thom

rockon1

It is a coveted tube, and audiophiles will pay top dollar for it. Its character is much like GE 3-mica black-plate 5751 of the time: bright, very clear, dynamic. It is one of the best 5751.

What did you want to know about it? I presume you know that the 5751 is a lower-mu sub for 12AX7, and it will yield less breakup, compared to the 12AX7.

- Thom
Its insane what guys will bid on these things on the bay. I stumbled onto a couple of them. Not exactly my thing tonally though. Bob

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Lucked into a few as a bonus that seem to be NOS/NIB when I followed up a lead and the owner trying to giveaway an old Baldwin made organ let me pull the tubes, speakers and a couple chassis from the organ. The 5751s were an extra bonus and seem to have been meant as spares and never used. Doing something with the chassis parts is kind of over my head but I grabbed them anyway. Haven't researched the 2-15" speakers yet which came out attatched to a modular panel. Quite light. The power tubes were/are 2 6L6GB. The way these things were made each note has a tone generator circuit module that was several 12AU7 based, the thing..er.. chassis in the bottom of the organ turned out to be the (optional) percussion module when I read the manual and that was mostly 12AX7. Manual was dated 1957, the year of my birth. The tubes apparently were meant to be easily replaced/maintained by the owner judging from the manual and the easy pop-off back cover. My limited intraweb research seemed to indicate the Sylvania 5751s are quite a catch, I did find a photo that is pretty close on the tubemonger picture library. I would have linked it but the link was just way too long and cutting and pasting the address is way beyond my neo-luddite computer skills. I have some regrets about dismantling any musical instrument, but the thing was a proverbial boatanchor, did work sort of, but one cable inside (maybe speaker? I guess the power is in those early multipin connectors?) was quite degraded. I would personally draw the line at a Hammond, but there are no shortage of those out there for very cheap/free also. Just keep those Hammond's oiled up.
Asking about the Sylvania GB 5751 to learn what I can.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
All those tubes sound like they're probably still quite desirable. Even the 6L6GB are very nice, if you've got an amp that can use them (older tweeds). I particularly like GE 6L6GB in my Richter 5E7+. The year of manufacturing does sound like it corresponds with the tubes used.

Enjoy your treasure trove.

- T

Trending Topics