1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. OAJ73

OAJ73 Member

ctreitzell likes this.
  2. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

Definitely more attractive design than the Randall RM4 stuff. Looks super nice. Can't tell from the site whether or not they can be configured for stereo inputs or not... I assume not

ctreitzell likes this.
  3. MarcoR

MarcoR Member

I was heavily into MTS with Egnater, Jadded Faith modules and M4. Got out mostly but kept a couple modules and a Randall RM4 combo for a small portable rig. I ordered the Syn-002 and Friedman DS module. Should be great on its own and adding channels to my other amp.

ctreitzell likes this.
  4. DieHon

DieHon Member

I think this is a great product, but there is something I didn't get about it: how will it reproduce the amp whose module is based on if the power amp doesn't have the proper power tubes? The tone seems to be glorious, but is it really close to the amps themselves? I just can't imagine a Morgan or a Friedman tone with 6L6 tubes.

I really want to try one anyway.

5. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

I got into MTS heavily this past January, and ran all of my modules through a Fryette 2/50/2. One of the best setups I've heard, and each amp tone sounded close enough to me, even through the same V30 loaded 412. That included marshall based modules, mash-oldano, dumbles, box, and tweed I had. The only amp that didn't sound as I expected was a bassman based module. I got out because I couldn't justify having 4K in MTS when my regular amps (Roadster and Mark IV) and a few drive pedals gave me all the tones I wanted/needed. Will synergy nail those tones perfectly? I don't know. To the most discerning ear, maybe not, but MTS got close enough for me, and I'd love to have amps that sound as good as the modular system.

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. OAJ73

OAJ73 Member

I came late into the modular thing, but still using my M4 with twin/deluxe, SL, VX and EG3/4 modules. Looks like the Synergy line is compatible with the old MTS systems so I'm in the thinking of ordering some new Synergy modules for my M4.

ctreitzell likes this.
  7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I love my MTS 4 channel preamp. The modded modules sound so good.
    If you A-Bd them side by sided with the real amp, do they sound exact? No, but, very close. And, in some ways, they sound better than the real amp. Through a VHT Classic, the Marshall style modules sound better than most (maybe not all, though) heads. Especially when you take into consideration that not all Marshall heads sound as great as some others.
    Fender style modules aren't quite as close, due to different power tube type in the VHT, but, they still sound great to me. A great clean tone doesn't have to only be a Blackface, running 6L6s.
    I almost bought the Metroplex module today. Before I pressed the "BUY" button though, I started thinking about it, and said to myself "do you really need it?" No, I don't really need it. It's just so tempting, because George makes such great amps.
    I'm real curious to how the SLO module sounds, compared to one of the Soldano preamps. If I'm not mistaken, Mike was trying to get his SLO sound out of his X-88 preamp.wonder how the module stacks up.
    I've got another 2 days, while I'm riding out this stupid hurricane, to think about that Metroplex module. It wouldn't have got shippped out until Monday, anyway, so, Ive got some time to think about it.
    Now I'm thinking about that SLO though. Damn.

ctreitzell and amphog like this.
  8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

The real compelling thing for me isn't the heads or the rack, it's the little Syn1. Hard to tell, but it seems like it'd be small enough to fit in a reasonable case and bring it anywhere, giving me a footswitchable preamp that I can DI into anything. The other stuff is cool, but that's where it's at with me, a portable "FlyRig" that I make myself.

ctreitzell likes this.
  9. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

There's no law against using the preamps with an amp using the "correct" power tubes, the Randall power amp switched between 6L6/EL34 via MIDI if you wanted to keep kosher. I use the modules with multiple power sections in the studio and find the 6L6 Marshalls and EL34 Fenders just as useful as the "correct" match-ups.

[​IMG]

10. DieHon

DieHon Member

I truly believe that this is a great product and I really want to play with it. The Bogner XTC happened with different power amp tubes and that's totally fine. I currently use two amps live: a Vox AC30 and a Marshall clone. However, my back is starting to complain and this seems to be the perfect solution to me. Nonetheless, I don't like to play with 6L6 amps. I'm not saying that those are bad amps, but personaly I don't like. I'm afraid that the Synergy power amp won't let all Morgan and Friedman character come through, but I would happily like to be wrong.

Again, this is an astonishing work from Synergy guys :)

ctreitzell likes this.
  11. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

OMG, where's the "drool" emoticon!?

Darth Weller and ctreitzell like this.
  12. guitarplayer1

guitarplayer1 Member

Just checked out the Synergy site .... looks like some very cool stuff. I've had tons of Egnater gear through the years starting with my old red-faced ie4 .... currently have a Mod 50 and a M4 and plenty of modules.

I'm really interested in the new power amp ... 1 space 50w , 24 lbs. Curious if anyone has actually heard it yet ? In particular anyone compared it to the old VHT 2502 ? I've had one of those for years but I'm trying to downsize everything and this power amp looks like the perfect choice for me .

I know it's a long shot since they just came out but if anyone has any direct experience with both I'd love to hear your opinions.

ctreitzell likes this.
  13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious about the diff in the new SLO module and the old EG5. The EG5 is one of my favorites (still have one), just a TIGHT high gain sound with a thick (but not humped) midrange.
    Although I'm liable to ditch my T/D, BMAN (with X mod), VX and SL2X to make way for some of the newer ones.

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I'm getting ready to push the button on the Metroplex module.
    If anybody already bought one, chime in about it, please.
    Also, we need to hear some comparisons. For instance, an old module, in the SYN1 or 2. Does the new chassis preamp sound better? How about also comparing how one of the new modules sounds in the older chassis.
    For example, how does the new Plexi module sound compared to one of the modders plexis. (i.e Jaded Faith or Salvation).
    And, one more: a SYN 1 or 2, with a Synergy Plexi module or Fender Module, compared to a Randall or Egnater chassis with either an old stock Plexi or Twin module, or an aftermarket modded module.
    I'm confusing myself here.
    Basically, does the new Synergy stuff blow away the old Randall and/or modded modules, or, is the difference ever so slight.
    If the Synergy stuff sounds better, is it because of the actual modules, or, is it because of the new SYN 1 or SYN2 chassis?
    Btw, me and my rack survived the hurricane ok.
    Lady Baba was out in a rowboat, rescuing people on the brink of death, in 90mph winds and torrential downpour.
    I stayed behind to protect the rack.
    Guess who's going to Heaven?

15. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I ordered the Metroplex module today.
    I'll chime in next week about my thoughts on it, compared to 3 of my other Marshall modules: Jaded Faith JTM, Salvation Duoplex, and a stock SL.
    Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this thread.
    That's ok.
    Let the others play their digital modelers, and let those big, strong tough guys lug around 4 heads and cabinets.
    My modular stuff blows all of it away.
    Don't believe me? Go to YouTube, and check out George Metroplis A-B his 1968 Marshall against the Metroplex module he designed, and based it off of.
    There's almost 0 difference.
    And, through my VHT Classic, it will sound even BETTER.
    IM PSYCHED.

Sterling#Sound, voojo, JoeB63 and 3 others like this.
  16. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Not all heroes wear capes.

PRSAtomic and Baba Louie like this.
  17. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    They need a dumble and a trainwreck modules. Will be looking for that.

Baba Louie likes this.
  18. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Trainwreck would probably disappoint. The Express and Liverpool are about driving the phase inverter into distortion first and hitting the output stage hard, and the tuning is unlikely to work out in this modular design. The Rocket is basically a hot-rodded AC-30, so power section is critical to the sound.
    Dumble-ish could probably work.

yeky83 and tjontheroad like this.
  19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I like to see how the pre-amp modules work plugged into a Fryette Power Station (since I have one of those). It's not quite the same thing as plugging them into a Power-amp return of an amp -- at least I don't think it is, since the PS is supposed to be a clean power amp.

If it sounds great, I'd get a Syn1 and a module or 2. Right now, at home, I'm going into the PS with a Helix, which works great.

X-Mann likes this.
  20. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I've got Salvations Humble Overdrive. It's awesome. I keep the gain really low, it sounds best that way. I Overdrive it with a Royal Overdrive. Deadly combination.
    I overdrive my Marshall modules with a Kingsley Harlot. I did the bass mod to it last night, replacing a capacitor with a different one. It worked great, took all of the low-end woofiness out of the pedal. I have a Page and a Minstrel, both V1s, but, I'm digging the Harlot a little more.
    Through that new Metroplex module, that Harlot is gonna sing, with the Belle Epoch Deluxe and the Chandler SDE. Tone heaven.

tjontheroad likes this.