Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. gtr37

gtr37 Member

My only complaint is demoing modules like a DZL or HBE through a 112 Fender Deluxe open back is not super helpful
    The DZL sounds like it has potential but the bass is on like 9 and it's farting out all over the place
    This is were the Synergy fails. Same as modellers
    You have to have the right playback system there is things that sound good on paper then there is reality
    A VH4 into a 112 deluxe is not a good match
    It's not a question of is it doable sometimes as much as is it a good idea

2. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Not a failure of Synergy. Failure of whoever chooses to run a high gain module through a fender open back 1x12.

For my modular rigs, I always switch between appropriate cabs for the respective tones I’m using. IMO there is no ‘one size fits all’ speaker/cab combination ...

scolfax, Kriig, Baba Louie and 2 others like this.
  3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

That's very true it's not a Synergy problem but it does put some caveats into the add additional channels to any existing amplifier
    In order to get the truest representation of a certain model certain things have to match up

4. Its Luke

Its Luke Supporting Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, that is basic knowledge for someone with even remote experience.
    The only people that would need a disclaimer for that are kids with no experience and who can't afford decent gear.

To further prove the point even if you used a Kemper profiler amp with one of the best FRFR cabinets, it does not pass the ear test when trying to replicate open back cab Fender cabinets. That's the reason that pro's like MBritt use an open back FRFR to replicate those tones.
    So even with an FRFR cabinet which is supposed to be neutral and perfectly replicate other signal chains, you would sill need two sets of cabinets in my opinion.

5. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Idk. My Salvation Twinface and Jaded Faith Vox/Matchless modules sound fantastic through my VHT Classic (EL-34s) and twin 2-12 closed back cabs.
    (Mills Acoustics and a custom made duplicate of it.)
    I guess I could cut out a hole on one of them. Or, be a little less destructive, and just take the back off of one.
    If I was recording, and wanted an open back cab sound, that's all I would do. For playing live, I just get Lady Baba to stand behind the cabs, with the back cover in her hands, and she just real quick holds it up to the back of the cab, when I need a closed back sound.
    Girl is unreal.
    Dedicated to tone.

GtrGeorge!, hdiddy, voojo and 2 others like this.
  6. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

In all seriousness, if I really needed my sound to be super authentic, and sound just like a Fender Twin, well, I would just get a Fender Twin.
    Players that are in Nashville, hired to play on big name artists recordings, aren't going to use Synergy. They're going to use the real thing. There's no shortage of Twins, or, any other amp for that matter, in Nashville.
    If you're a player who primarily plays the kind of music that sounds better with an open back cab, you can get the Synergy, and play it through an open back cab, and it's gonna sound great.
    If you play a variety of styles, where some things sound better with open back, and others with closed back, well, you just compromise. It's still not going to sound BAD.
    Nobody who plays the kind of music you would be playing with a Diesel head, is going to play through an open back cab, anyway.
    And, there's always those half and half cabs, where it's partial closed off.
    Either way, this modular stuff is awesome, even going way back 15-20 years ago, when Bruce and Randall first introduced it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    GtrGeorge! and JoeB63 like this.
  7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

The options we have these days for amps is amazing.
    Think back 25 years ago, and we had to rely on some local yokel amp guy to mod our Marshalls.
    If you wanted a Marshall tone, and a Boogie tone, and a Vox tone, you had to have all of those amps. If you wanted a Bogner Ecstacy tone, you had to fork out $2000 for one.
    Now, I can have all 4 of those, in one preamp, with midi switching between them. If I have to compromise a little, because I can't exactly match up an open back cab, to my Matchless preamp module, well, whoopdie doo. So what.
    You get you a real good tube power amp, and a modular preamp, you're gonna get great sounds...and a variety of them. It's gonna feel just like a real amp, too. Cause it IS real.
    And, if you absolutely MUST run your Fender module with 6L6s, and a Marshall module with EL-34s, you can even get a power amp that will midi switch between those 2 types of tubes. Randall made one, I forget the model, RT 50/50 or something.
    And, didn't Mesa make a switchable between-tubes power amp, also?
    I guess, for you guys who don't have a woman as dedicated as Lady Baba, you could make a servo-controlled cabinet, that opens an closes with a motor, midi controlled, sort of like that cool X-99 Soldano preamp.
    I'll stick to Lady Baba doing it for me. I know it will get done right, on time, every time. It's her passion. TONE.
    You guys wish you were so lucky.
    Now, shut up, n play yer guitar.
    Open back cab, or not.

scolfax and Serious Poo like this.
  8. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I think I have been misunderstood lol
    My point was opposite
    I was saying putting a Deizel
    Preamp through a 6v6 open back Fender is not going to be your best choice for people looking for that DZL sound
    Just like putting a Vox through a 100 watt Kt88 is going to lose some of it magic and dynamics you can do it sure but the results might not be what you hoped for

Kriig and Its Luke like this.
  9. stratamania

stratamania Member

10. Its Luke

Its Luke Supporting Member

All good... we are on the same page now, I agree with you!

11. gtr37

gtr37 Member

It sounds great but more in the metroplex zone in that video
    It does not really make me think modern hi gain but it's cool

Bucksears likes this.
  12. voojo

voojo Silver Supporting Member

That's a good question, I've wondered that about all of the "Marshall" inspired modules. If you think about it they've got quite a few:

Friedman DS (Dirty Shirley)
    Friedman BE
    Friedman HBE
    Metropolous Metro-Plex
    Synergy Plexi
    Synergy 800

I do realize that the list ranges from JTM45 thru 1987/1959SLP NMV thru 2204/2203 MV amps. It'll be nice to compare when Shawn Tubbs releases all of the individual module quick demos. What would really be cool is to use the SYN-2 and do a video shootout of the Marshall inspired pre-amps. (That's if somebody had access to all of the modules.)

Bucksears likes this.
  13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I know, right?
    I could take the Metro-Plex, and either the BE or HBE and call it a day. (but that's just me)

14. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yeah, I have played a (real) BE and DS side-by-side, and they definitely sound different. But since the Metroplex is supposed to sound just like a vintage plexi, I would think that, in this format, given the similar set of controls, it would sound exactly like the Synergy Plexi.

I'm really interested in this whole Synergy thing -- perhaps, in part, because I have a 3 space rack case that I'm not using right now ;). My one concern is the noise from the fan(s) in the power amp. I'd like to use this at home and at gigs. I currently use a Fryette Powerstation, and its fan is not too loud to use at home, but I'm betting that the Synergy fans (I think it has 2) is probably at least somewhat louder.

ctreitzell likes this.
  15. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

FYI the fan on the Synergy power amp is loud and the unit runs quite hot.

16. voojo

How does it sound, does it give that tube goodness? I know it's a tube amp, but I'm wondering if they've kept it quite neutral to let the pre-amps do their thing.

17. voojo

Synergy 800 Module Demo:

18. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I'm commenting to subscribe. Several years back, I gigged a MOD50 for hundreds of gigs and the Synergy stuff looks pretty compelling.

19. Fanfan

Fanfan Member

Is it my idea of Shawn Tubbs, except from making everything sounds wonderfull, makes them sound the same?

keelford and Hiatus O like this.
  20. djd100

djd100 Member

I'ver been doing this for years with MTS, works incredibly well, and would be better yet with Synergy!

[​IMG]

GtrGeorge!, Fanfan and stratamania like this.