Synergy modular thread

RipperShred

Interesting that the guy in the demo doesn’t seem to have a clue how the Presence and Depth controls work. He calls the switch that activates Presence and Depth “boost”. Second video I’ve seen with the demonstrator adjusting Presence and Depth while turned off.

That bit about the Brite switch being too “peaky” seems to bear out that he doesn’t get the whole GainI/GainII structure, which would modify how active the Brite switch is on a given setting.

Deliverance guys will know what to do tho.

Hopefully future vids will be more informed.
Yeah, the fact that no video reviewer understood how it actually works was driving me nuts; take literally just a minute to read the 1 page manual and understand the controls. That stuff is disgraceful lol

mnemonic

In that vid, the D-mod is said to be paired with a power amp (Syn5050) and speakers mic'd. If you want the GPDI to sound like that, keep the master volume low (around 9 o'clock) and either mic a speaker similar to what he's using or record direct using an IR that has a cleaner, less mid focused sound.

We developed the D-mod using the PS-2 and Fane loaded D412. Connecting the GPDI to the same rig, you'd be hard pressed to pick which is which in a blind test.
neat, I think I will play around with it more this weekend. Usually I run it into my 2/50/2 which hopefully is close enough there.

I remember my GP/DI not having that much gain (I haven’t used it in like a month, and when I do it’s usually for cleans and mid-gain stuff on the ‘less’ mode), so maybe I need to do some tube rolling just to be sure.
ok this was my bad, I popped it open and swapped V1 for a spare chinese (TAD) 12ax7 I had lying around, and now there is noticeably more gain and clarity.

I had put a tung sol 12ax7 for V1 back when I got it as it was mentioned in the manual to use tung sol 12ax7 in V1 for more gain. I guess that tube went weak at some point.

The good news for me is now I only have to buy one module, the UL when it comes out.

Kelly

Yeah, the fact that no video reviewer understood how it actually works was driving me nuts; take literally just a minute to read the 1 page manual and understand the controls. That stuff is disgraceful lol
Plus they all missed how great the cleanup is with the volume knob.

support

ok this was my bad, I popped it open and swapped V1 for a spare chinese (TAD) 12ax7 I had lying around, and now there is noticeably more gain and clarity.

I had put a tung sol 12ax7 for V1 back when I got it as it was mentioned in the manual to use tung sol 12ax7 in V1 for more gain. I guess that tube went weak at some point.

The good news for me is now I only have to buy one module, the UL when it comes out.
Haha! Also check which brand power tube (12DW7/ECC832) is installed. The EH is more clear and detailed. The JJ one sounds fatter and more saturated. Also recommend replacing it if it’s been a while.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I spent a couple hours in the afternoon playing the Les Paul with my current three Zen Drive pedals and the Synergy OS module. Tried the Black Magic, the Red and the Black Zen-Zen II.

Thr OS module was hooked into my Mesa Mark V. Signal path was Les Paul into a Zen Drive into A-B box. One side to Mesa Mark V. Other side into Allen Encore (for Blackface Vibrolux tones). This way, when a Zen pedal was engaged, I could hear it into three clean channels: the Fat clean of the Mesa, the clean side half of the Synergy OS module, or the Encore.

Since I was playing a Les Paul, it was easy to get even the low gain right side of the Zen-Zen II to gain up.

The pedals are all really great. But after messing around with all three of them into all three clean channels, I came to the conclusion that the preamp module just does that Dumble thing better. Of course, better means it’s how my brain thinks it should sound. It does that blooming “chirp” thing that you expect.

The module sounds more like an amp ... because it is. Duh! The three band EQ, the Deep and Bright switches, plus the Rock/Jazz modes just allow so much tweaking. And of course, there’s a Volume, Gain, OD Level, OD Ratio and a Presence control.

Not sure if I will sell all three Zen pedals, since they come in handy for the other amps. Buy
But man, the OS module is the real deal. Wow

Elric

In that vid, the D-mod is said to be paired with a power amp (Syn5050) and speakers mic'd. If you want the GPDI to sound like that, keep the master volume low (around 9 o'clock) and either mic a speaker similar to what he's using or record direct using an IR that has a cleaner, less mid focused sound.

We developed the D-mod using the PS-2 and Fane loaded D412. Connecting the GPDI to the same rig, you'd be hard pressed to pick which is which in a blind test.

No, the red channel is smoother on top and tighter on the bottom, and the green channel is more detailed and deeper on the low end, just like the D head.
The D is a single channel amp right? So the green is basically authentic/close to the amp and red is slightly tweaked?

Also, is the pitbull or the D more aggressive? I don’t have a vibe For the Fryette amps. There are a bunch of pitbull models right? Is there a specific one it is based on?

Kelly

The D is a single channel amp right? So the green is basically authentic/close to the amp and red is slightly tweaked?

Also, is the pitbull or the D more aggressive? I don’t have a vibe For the Fryette amps. There are a bunch of pitbull models right? Is there a specific one it is based on?
The pittbulls all have similar preamps. The deliverance is based on the pittbull orange channel.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
neat, I think I will play around with it more this weekend. Usually I run it into my 2/50/2 which hopefully is close enough there.

I remember my GP/DI not having that much gain (I haven’t used it in like a month, and when I do it’s usually for cleans and mid-gain stuff on the ‘less’ mode), so maybe I need to do some tube rolling just to be sure.
When I had a GP/DI there was a setting that wasn't in the manual. You need to dial one of the gains all the way up and the other around noon to maybe 1 o'clock. That level of gain coupled with playing at least a little louder than bedroom volume could chug.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if Pete Arends is still planning the Tone king imperial mod
I think Synergy has the crunch and hi gain filled out nicely now would be grEat to see more clean country Andy Wood type stuff
Maybe a DR Z
Agreed. Something with a poppy compression toggle switch option, chimey sustain and barking gain that cleans up when you pick the notes with less attack. The dirty shirley?

DarrellM5

I've been emailing my Sweetwater Sales Engineer today, about the Fryette Deliverance, and he says they're expecting them in 2 weeks. I went ahead and pre-ordered. Looks like it might get here before my backordered Uberschall.

tucsonsound

We dispensed with the user cathode switch idea in favor of tying it to the channel function for the simple reason that this is how it works in the real amp. So far, ours are the only modules that do that.

Steve definitely had his own ideas about functionality and layout.
Which setting is each channel preset for? Using an Egnater M4 with front panel cathode bias switch so curious as to the stock setting...

support

Which setting is each channel preset for? Using an Egnater M4 with front panel cathode bias switch so curious as to the stock setting...
No idea how your M4 is configured, but the Syn settings are 2 for the red channel and 1 for green based on the switch numbering convention they use for other modules.

tucsonsound

No idea how your M4 is configured, but the Syn settings are 2 for the red channel and 1 for green based on the switch numbering convention they use for other modules.
Thanks! The cathode bias switch is manual so I like to know what the module/channel is tuned for.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I would have a hard time picking 2 modules. I’m thinking Uberschall and Deliverance IF one of the Deliverance channels can do very clean. If not, I might have to go T/DLX.

Trending Topics