Synergy modular thread

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
AC, T/DLX, SLO, Savage, and Uberschall are all monster preamps. Can’t really go wrong with any of those IMHO.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
AC, T/DLX, SLO, Savage, and Uberschall are all monster preamps. Can’t really go wrong with any of those IMHO.
Assuming low and medium output humbuckers, can the AC be dialed in very clean or is it always got some hair even on low gain settings?

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Assuming low and medium output humbuckers, can the AC be dialed in very clean or is it always got some hair even on low gain settings?
It has a lot of gain on tap but has a nice useable range of clean sounds at the lowest gain settings. It’s a bright clean, not a “warm jazzy” type of clean. I like it a lot.

Kelly

I would have a hard time picking 2 modules. I’m thinking Uberschall and Deliverance IF one of the Deliverance channels can do very clean. If not, I might have to go T/DLX.
The amp can do very clean, I assume the module can, too. Gain 2 off, mast volume up. Turn gain 1 off and slowly roll it up. The amp also goes from clean to dirty with the guitar volume knob better than any amp I've ever played.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
It has a lot of gain on tap but has a nice useable range of clean sounds at the lowest gain settings. It’s a bright clean, not a “warm jazzy” type of clean. I like it a lot.
Agree with this. The AC has a large range of clean available on the Gain knob. It's a module in which you can have a very clean blue channel and dial in a fairly dirty red channel with little compromise. I think there's even usable range of clean when using humbuckers.

dsmc80

With humbuckers it isn't very clean, but can do clean. Of all the modules I have / had the AC is the one I liked the least. I didn't find it very good at all.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
With humbuckers it isn't very clean, but can do clean. Of all the modules I have / had the AC is the one I liked the least. I didn't find it very good at all.
Someone said the output volume is considerably less than other preamps. Is that one of the big reasons people tend to sell it off on sites like reverb.com?

Did you try any overdrive pedals with the AC module and if so what were the results?

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Someone said the output volume is considerably less than other preamps. Is that one of the big reasons people tend to sell it off on sites like reverb.com?
Nope, it's just not a warm jazz tone like most folks want. It's a thinner, brighter sound - perfect for detuned guitars and jangley brit-pop stuff.

Did you try any overdrive pedals with the AC module and if so what were the results?
Yikes! An OD pedal in front of the AC would sound like shards of glass.

dsmc80

Yeah I did try and output wasn't an issue. I think the problem is owning an actual vintage AC30. I know how a good one sounds and the AC module was not that at all even when outputting it to the same cab and speakers. This isn't the case with other modules where I also own the real amps.

dsmc80

Nope, it's just not a warm jazz tone like most folks want. It's a thinner, brighter sound - perfect for detuned guitars and jangley brit-pop stuff.

Yikes! An OD pedal in front of the AC would sound like shards of glass.
I love Vox cleans and dirty sounds. This is the one module I just didn't find remotely authentic. YMMV.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
I love Vox cleans and dirty sounds. This is the one module I just didn't find remotely authentic. YMMV.
Agree 100%. It doesn't really sound like a Vox. It sounds like it's own thing, which is also bright and thinner sounding. Which is why I keep begging the heavens for a Synergy 65 Amps London EF86 module. :D

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Agree 100%. It doesn't really sound like a Vox. It sounds like it's own thing, which is also bright and thinner sounding. Which is why I keep begging the heavens for a Synergy 65 Amps London EF86 module. :D
Now we are talking! A module like the 65 Amps, or a Matchless, really. Anything like that would be great.

FWIW, I don't think the Morgan AC module is supposed to sound exactly like a Vox AC30. I think it's supposed to be the preamp from the Morgan AC 20 or AC 40. Those Morgan amps are Vox inspired, but not really clones. They do that jangly clean pretty darn well. Close enough to a Vox for me.

People mention the output volume. I think that, on cleaner settings, it may be a bit lower than some of the other modules. But so what! That's why there's a Master volume. I just turn the AC Master a little higher. I use my Synergy stuff in the FX loop of my Mesa Mark V. I have zero problem matching the AC module preamp volume with the other modules as well as the Mesa's three channels. I just use a bit more of that Master's range.

The clean on the Vai module is amazing, really inspirational. The lead side is my go to for almost any kind of material. I think that is a must have.

That being said, you all have me super curious about the BB BE!
Back in Randall days I had a Friedman modded BE & HBE. Being a gainfreak, I was surprised to find out the HBE was kind of a mess but the BE was damn near perfect. FF to today and a lot of people are raving about the HBE. If anyone can comment on the current BE HBE that would be awesome.
Also, Friedman has a Black eye mod...I wonder if he would do that to a module? It is supposed to be more angry.

gtr37

The clean on the Vai module is amazing, really inspirational. The lead side is my go to for almost any kind of material. I think that is a must have.

Back in Randall days I had a Friedman modded BE & HBE. Being a gainfreak, I was surprised to find out the HBE was kind of a mess but the BE was damn near perfect. FF to today and a lot of people are raving about the HBE. If anyone can comment on the current BE HBE that would be awesome.
Also, Friedman has a Black eye mod...I wonder if he would do that to a module? It is supposed to be more angry.
hmmm wonder if his old black eye mod actually became the JJ or Butterslax preamps

RipperShred

I never thought it was a mess, just redundant. The HBE just wasn't enough additional gain to justify its existence; had the BE and thought it was too smooth and woefully undergained so I bought an HBE hoping to solve this, but it was barely any different and sold it shortly after. It didn't go too far; it didn't go nearly far enough imo.

I never thought it was a mess, just redundant. The HBE just wasn't enough additional gain to justify its existence; had the BE and thought it was too smooth and woefully undergained so I bought an HBE hoping to solve this, but it was barely any different and sold it shortly after. It didn't go too far; it didn't go nearly far enough imo.
It sounds like we had 2 different mts HBEs. The one I had I did not buy direct from Friedman, so who knows what was under the hood. It was an over the top gain machine that could not be controlled

dapeegoo

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I did try and output wasn't an issue. I think the problem is owning an actual vintage AC30. I know how a good one sounds and the AC module was not that at all even when outputting it to the same cab and speakers. This isn't the case with other modules where I also own the real amps.
I found that the Salvation Audio Voxyface and Matchvox both got closer to the Vox tone than the AC module.

Trending Topics