Synergy modular thread

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
3 syn2's? What are you; some kind of blues lawyer or something? :p:D
Nah, just someone who knows a great system when they see it. I mostly play a blend of shoegaze and prog metal, so having multiple units on tap really helps with the creative writing process.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Man, the way you guys are describing that Deliverance kind of reminds me how many people describe Hiwatts. Obviously a difference in gain, but that whole thing about no compression, immediate, precise and unforgiving kind of fits.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Man, the way you guys are describing that Deliverance kind of reminds me how many people describe Hiwatts. Obviously a difference in gain, but that whole thing about no compression, immediate, precise and unforgiving kind of fits.
It's well known that Steve loves old Hiwatts and the Reeves-designed Sound City.

support

Interesting comments about "compression", or lack thereof.

Most of the time, the compression in an amp is the domain of the amps power amp behavior. When only using the preamp stage of a Fryette (or any) amp into the power amp stage of another amp, it will take on the compression or sag characteristics of that power amp. Naturally, at low playing volume, there will be less of this effect than at band volume.

The whole idea behind the Sag control in the Syn 1 and Syn 2 of the Synergy system is to give the user some control over that behavior and allow the user to dial the system in closer to how a head behaves at any volume level, or even exaggerate it for those who find Fryette amps unforgiving. Of course, the Syn 30 and Syn 50 don't utilize the Sag control. Although we were heavily involved in the design, and did the PCB layout for the Syn 1 & 2, we had no involvement in the 30 and 50 amps. Had we been, we would have advocated for the Sag control there as well and for the same reason.

About gain and saturation, which should be seen as distinct from compression, those of you who are familiar enough with our amps in general understand that they don't actually have "less gain and saturation". What they do deliver is more detail and clarity than other amps with similar gain and saturation. This fools the user into thinking that there is less gain in ours. They also tend to bring the behavior of the instrument into sharper relief where a less detailed amp will tend to bury the personality of the instrument. This is a signature Fryette characteristic that is unlikely to change.

Steve will be the first to tell you that he thinks he's about the sloppiest player alive, so if anyone needed an amp to hide behind, he'd admit it should be him. Yet, he prefers to hear "the truth", and often get's compliments from respected players, no matter how he feels about a performance. He believes that this is because the quality of the guitar sound and an inspired performance are what people really respond to.

A little heads up: Like our amps, we prefer the sound of our modules with the Shuguang 12AX7AC5 preamp tubes installed and this is what was used during the design process. Unfortunately with the current interruption in supply, shipping the modules with Shuguangs is not possible. But if you happen to have them laying around, give 'em a roll!

DarrellM5

Interesting comments about "compression", or lack thereof.

Most of the time, the compression in an amp is the domain of the amps power amp behavior. When only using the preamp stage of a Fryette (or any) amp into the power amp stage of another amp, it will take on the compression or sag characteristics of that power amp. Naturally, at low playing volume, there will be less of this effect than at band volume.

The whole idea behind the Sag control in the Syn 1 and Syn 2 of the Synergy system is to give the user some control over that behavior and allow the user to dial the system in closer to how a head behaves at any volume level, or even exaggerate it for those who find Fryette amps unforgiving. Of course, the Syn 30 and Syn 50 don't utilize the Sag control. Although we were heavily involved in the design, and did the PCB layout for the Syn 1 & 2, we had no involvement in the 30 and 50 amps. Had we been, we would have advocated for the Sag control there as well and for the same reason.

About gain and saturation, which should be seen as distinct from compression, those of you who are familiar enough with our amps in general understand that they don't actually have "less gain and saturation". What they do deliver is more detail and clarity than other amps with similar gain and saturation. This fools the user into thinking that there is less gain in ours. They also tend to bring the behavior of the instrument into sharper relief where a less detailed amp will tend to bury the personality of the instrument. This is a signature Fryette characteristic that is unlikely to change.

Steve will be the first to tell you that he thinks he's about the sloppiest player alive, so if anyone needed an amp to hide behind, he'd admit it should be him. Yet, he prefers to hear "the truth", and often get's compliments from respected players, no matter how he feels about a performance. He believes that this is because the quality of the guitar sound and an inspired performance are what people really respond to.

A little heads up: Like our amps, we prefer the sound of our modules with the Shuguang 12AX7AC5 preamp tubes installed and this is what was used during the design process. Unfortunately with the current interruption in supply, shipping the modules with Shuguangs is not possible. But if you happen to have them laying around, give 'em a roll!

Thanks for all the info. This definitely explains what I'm experiencing, especially the huge tonal differences I'm getting when I switch to different guitars. I'm really loving this module; you guys knocked it out of the park for sure.

gtr37

On stage with a band is where it really shines. I can hear every note and touch of the strings. Never had that with any other amp.
my 50 VHT CL is the one amp i forever regret selling
It had a feel that no other amp has had maybe it is that lack or compression or immediate attack but it literally felt like you were moving the speakers w your hands
I really cant explain it other feeling connected from the guitar amp the cab and
Breathing almost like a living thing it was the most strange feeling

Powderfinger

Hey, I just got a SYN-R5 footswitch, but it didn't come w. any instructions and I don't see a manual on the website. Can anybody give me some idea of how you program it? Thanks.

jeremyjh

Reverb had another SYN-1 pop up and I jumped on it this time. I have a BE/BB on the way for it but will definitely pick up something else to try soon as well. I'm just not sure about the Deliverance, though it is tempting. I may get the Bogner Ecstasy at some point instead. Shawn Tubbs video for that is very convincing.

Monkeyboy23

Reverb had another SYN-1 pop up and I jumped on it this time. I have a BE/BB on the way for it but will definitely pick up something else to try soon as well. I'm just not sure about the Deliverance, though it is tempting. I may get the Bogner Ecstasy at some point instead. Shawn Tubbs video for that is very convincing.
Welcome, Syn-ner.
The modules are all winners, just a matter of choosing!

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
For anyone waiting on pre-orders from vendors, looks like it may be a little bit longer. I was told end of July when I ordered but now it’s looking like sometime in early September.

DarrellM5

For anyone waiting on pre-orders from vendors, looks like it may be a little bit longer. I was told end of July when I ordered but now it’s looking like sometime in early September.
Is that for the Uberschall? SW says they expect them mid-August.

Powderfinger

I seem to remember a post that showed the recommended cathode switch position for each module but I can’t seem to find it. Can anyone point me to where that info is? Thanks.

DarrellM5

I seem to remember a post that showed the recommended cathode switch position for each module but I can’t seem to find it. Can anyone point me to where that info is? Thanks.
I haven't seen it in a post anywhere but it's on the 1 page instruction sheets that come with the modules. They're also downloadable from Synergy.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Is that for the Uberschall? SW says they expect them mid-August.
It’s for the SYN-2 through MF.

I did order the Uber and Deliverance modules through SW though. They initially told me late July/early August but I need to get an updated date from them.

DarrellM5

It’s for the SYN-2 through MF.

I did order the Uber and Deliverance modules through SW though. They initially told me late July/early August but I need to get an updated date from them.

I got my Deliverance module from SW about a week ago (ordered June 29) but still waiting for the Uber.

Trending Topics