Synergy modular thread

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

After using the Axe FX 2 for a few years I have basically decided that the amp tones I like are the BE-100, Bogner Ecstasy, and Dirty Shirly, .

I know from years of fist fighting Mesa Boogie amps that I simply do not like the tonal coloration of 6L6 tubes. I am, as you would say, an EL34 guy, and the prospect of running a pre-amp designed for EL34 (BE100) into 6L6 tubes seems like a recipe for disappointment.
Dunno, need advice.
I think a lot of people come around to the physical BE through the gateway Axe-FX version. I certainly did.

This subject comes up a lot- personally, I think it is way overblown. I think that you might really prefer an EL34 amp over a 6L6 amp but I don't really think it is the tube type themselves. I don't know which Mesa amps or what all you've done to fight them but usually the preamp topology is a lot different than a typical EL34 amp, so I would expect the result would be a lot different.

If I'm not mistaken, Dave Friedman has said in various videos that you can get the same sounds on an EL34 or 6L6 tube in the same amp just by adjusting the amp. I think I pretty much believe him, even though I don't want to believe him. I think the BE has EL34s because people really want it to have EL34's, not because Dave thinks they need to be there.

Dirty Shirley is 5881s, not EL34s. That's very similar to a 6L6 but its got very little else in common with the Boogie. Dirty Shirley is an early-Marshall kind of amp. Its not like a Fender at all. If you like that amp, maybe there is hope for you on non-EL34 setups. I think Cliff @ Fractal has also recently commented about the differences in power tube tone being more about the rest of the circuit than about the tubes themselves.

The modules will sound "different" in different poweramps. Whether a particular one will work for you is unknowable without trying it. I think they are better with a tube poweramp, despite being servicable without them. If you still have your Fractal, you have a million options inside it for that particular project.

The speaker cabinet should be the biggest factor by miles and miles. I've played Marshally modules through my Syn-30 (6L6) as well as Voxy type modules and a Fendery module. I don't know if they sound exactly like the real amps- probably not. They sound great though.

YMMV.

If they really needed to have an EL34 head and a 6L6 head for these to work well, I think Egnater, Randall and now Synergy would have done that. The modules generally work pretty well despite sharing a common poweramp.

Last edited:

mnemonic

Steve Fryette has also had a lot to say about what we think are ‘tube tones’ are more about how the rest of the amp is designed.

i think he and Dave spoke about it on the ToneTalk episode he was on.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
Steve Fryette has also had a lot to say about what we think are ‘tube tones’ are more about how the rest of the amp is designed.

i think he and Dave spoke about it on the ToneTalk episode he was on.
That's probably where I heard it.

And I believe it... even though I want to believe it is the tube itself.

The EL84 for example- its fragile sounding.. harsh... lousy for anything but an AC30, right? Except that its not true. For example, people love the Friedman EL84 amps and they have none of those problems. Friedman had a video showing how the EL84 versions of his amps sounded basically the same within their volume limits. Its the amp design, not the tube.

Egnater has those amps where you can vary between 6v6 and EL84- people generally comment that there is much less difference than they expected. Some difference, sure. There is "some" difference between brands or even copies of the same type of tube.

Incufan7

I think a lot of people come around to the physical BE through the gateway Axe-FX version. I certainly did.

This subject comes up a lot- personally, I think it is way overblown. I think that you might really prefer an EL34 amp over a 6L6 amp but I don't really think it is the tube type themselves. I don't know which Mesa amps or what all you've done to fight them but usually the preamp topology is a lot different than a typical EL34 amp, so I would expect the result would be a lot different.

If I'm not mistaken, Dave Friedman has said in various videos that you can get the same sounds on an EL34 or 6L6 tube in the same amp just by adjusting the amp. I think I pretty much believe him, even though I don't want to believe him. I think the BE has EL34s because people really want it to have EL34's, not because Dave thinks they need to be there.

Dirty Shirley is 5881s, not EL34s. That's very similar to a 6L6 but its got very little else in common with the Boogie. Dirty Shirley is an early-Marshall kind of amp. Its not like a Fender at all. If you like that amp, maybe there is hope for you on non-EL34 setups. I think Cliff @ Fractal has also recently commented about the differences in power tube tone being more about the rest of the circuit than about the tubes themselves.

The modules will sound "different" in different poweramps. Whether a particular one will work for you is unknowable without trying it. I think they are better with a tube poweramp, despite being servicable without them. If you still have your Fractal, you have a million options inside it for that particular project.

The speaker cabinet should be the biggest factor by miles and miles. I've played Marshally modules through my Syn-30 (6L6) as well as Voxy type modules and a Fendery module. I don't know if they sound exactly like the real amps- probably not. They sound great though.

YMMV.

If they really needed to have an EL34 head and a 6L6 head for these to work well, I think Egnater, Randall and now Synergy would have done that. The modules generally work pretty well despite sharing a common poweramp.
Thanks for the comment. I guess my only other question is, does anyone have experience with the syn 50 head? Or is the 5050 power amp just better since it is Fryette designed?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Egnater has those amps where you can vary between 6v6 and EL84- people generally comment that there is much less difference than they expected. Some difference, sure. There is "some" difference between brands or even copies of the same type of tube.
I built a Trinity 18 watt head. It's the sIIIv6 version. So it has a switch in back to toggle between a pair of EL84s and a pair of 6V6s. I fully expected a massive tonal difference between the two types of tubes. After all, I went through the bother of building the darn thing with that option.

Other than a clear volume difference, there was very little difference at all. The circuit was originally designed to work with EL84 tubes. So the component values in that section weren't optimized for the voltage that a 6V6 wants to see. The EL84 setting ran more hotter (proper, really). The 6V6 tubes were starved. Once I made a simple mod in the back to bring a resistor in and out of the circuit with the tube selector switch, the volumes were equalized. And at that point, you almost can't hear much of a difference.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for the comment. I guess my only other question is, does anyone have experience with the syn 50 head? Or is the 5050 power amp just better since it is Fryette designed?
FWIW... I had an awful experience with the Synergy 5050 power amp and returned it. I also have a Fryette power station and love it. Go figure.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Syn-30 which Bruce Egnater designed. I believe Friedman and maybe others had input on it. I think the Syn-50 is also Egnater-designed.

The Synergy heads are made in the USA by Boutique Amp Distribution which also makes Soldano, Friedman and some others. I'm not sure about the 5050 but I suspect it is as well.

Its unfortunate that you can't really check these out at a local store easily. You just have to find a retailer with a good return policy.

Axe-Man

I have a Syn-1 inbound and was wondering what people think of the Engl modules?

I'm considering for my first module the Engl Powerball though I'm curious about the Engl Savage (the 'real' Savage seems like a beast). I'd 100% go for the Uberschall but it's out of stock and I doubt it'll be in for a while to come (I'll likely get that when available - Shaun Tubb's clip seemed unusually scooped though which isn't like the Uber I played loud).

The Deliverence and SLO are interesting too (the SLO is out of stock naturally) but I'm looking for modern high gain at least to start. I don't want muddy or sterile or thin if I can help it so if the Powerball is thin etc please let me know. I like the clean ch option and full dual EQs.

I'll be directly running into a 100w Ceriatone Yeti and a Mesa ROV25 run as poweramps (no 4CM).

If it works as planned I'll probably end up with the Morgan, BB/BE, Ecstasy, SLO, Deliverence, Uber, Powerball/Savage down the track.

I nearly bought into the MTS system years ago and think the Synergy gear could be the ticket for me personally (had enough of modellers). If the moons align, a couple of Syn-2s in the future and I'll get a custom 2RU poweramp made (or I'll make one myself as a project with toroidal transformers) and maybe end up a pretty happy camper.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Sean Tubbs is a good country / roots player, but modern high gain is clearly not something he’s comfortable with so take his demos of high gain modules with as much salt as your diet allows. Look instead to videos by Rabea, Ola, TONE WARS or John Browne for what those modules actually sound like in a modern metal context.

Another way to put it is the Savage sounds like classic Mesa Boogie Mark series to me while the Powerball sounds very Eurometal (e.g., Dream Theater “Pull Me Under” versus Amaranthe “Drop Dead Cynical”). Both are great preamps but voiced very differently. They compliment each other quite well, IMHO. The Uber is voiced more Eurometal to my ears but with an extended low end and absolutely sick levels of gain on tap.

Hope that helps.

gtr37

Sean Tubbs is a good country / roots player, but modern high gain is clearly not something he’s comfortable with so take his demos of high gain modules with as much salt as your diet allows. Look instead to videos by Rabea, Ola, TONE WARS or John Browne for what those modules actually sound like in a modern metal context.

Another way to put it is the Savage sounds like classic Mesa Boogie Mark series to me while the Powerball sounds very Eurometal (e.g., Dream Theater “Pull Me Under” versus Amaranthe “Drop Dead Cynical”). Both are great preamps but voiced very differently. They compliment each other quite well, IMHO. The Uber is voiced more Eurometal to my ears but with an extended low end and absolutely sick levels of gain on tap.

Hope that helps.
I just can’t believe someone mentioned Amaranthe
So the Uber or Powerball is more THAT sound .?.

ned911

I'd have to look and fire up the rig. I've actually been swamped at work since Covid hit and haven't had much time for guitar playing lately. I'm also going to rewire the righ using a Switchblade :)

@ned911 , I highlighted one line item in red in your post above. I'm curious about that connection.

Is the slave SYN-2's front panel volume knob in play because you are sending the output signal from the slave to the master SYN-2 via the LEFT/MONO MAIN OUT? If you had instead used the TO AMP FX RETURN on the slave, would everything else have otherwise worked, but the front panel volume wouldn't be in play?

Basically, taking the lower lead of that green cable on the slave (Lower) SYN-2, and moving it diagonal, down and to the right one spot?

Kelly

The 5050 was voiced for the guys at synergy. Fryette sells a similar amp, the lxii, which is voiced to their own specs.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I'd have to look and fire up the rig. I've actually been swamped at work since Covid hit and haven't had much time for guitar playing lately. I'm also going to rewire the righ using a Switchblade :)
I went ahead and tried it last night. It works as I thought.

Serious Poo