Synergy modular thread

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member

FWIW, here are some recordings using the cleanest possible setting on the MetroPlex's blue channel.

TL;DR: If you hit the strings at all, it's gonna distort a lot even at the lowest possible gain settings.

All tracks recorded with a PRS Modern Eagle V in single coil mode

Blues chord vamp, heavy touch
0:00 - 0:06 (Bridge Position)
0:06 - 11:30 (#2 Position)
11:30 - 16:56 (Middle Position)
16:56 - 21:85 (#4 Position)
21:85 - 30:57 (Neck Position)

Single note lines, very soft touch
30:57 - 48:11 (#2 Position)
48:11 - 1:01:29 (Neck Position)

As you can hear, I could not get traditional Marshall plexi-style cleans out of this unit, regardless of how much I tried to f with it. Rolling the volume back doesn't really help much as it's simply a British gain machine, and a great one at that. If you're looking for glassy Plexi cleans with headroom, look elsewhere. If you're looking for AC/DC rhythms or Gary Moore lead tones, it's perfect.

PepAlmeida

For the people who had the Syn30 and syn50. Difference in sounds and feel between both? Did you miss the resonance control and how effective it is?

I wanted the 2 modules capabilities but the size weight of the Syn30 (and even the load possibilities) look so good. In terms of money is almost the same here (100euros difference)

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
For the people who had the Syn30 and syn50. Difference in sounds and feel between both? Did you miss the resonance control and how effective it is?

I wanted the 2 modules capabilities but the size weight of the Syn30 (and even the load possibilities) look so good. In terms of money is almost the same here (100euros difference)
I had added the Syn30 combo to my amps for a while, which includes the Syn50 head.
I thought I would miss the resonance more than I did but I think it depended on my cab choice and module choice. If I was going for high gain stuff I imagine it would be more important but, for example, the DS and BB/BE module I have the resonance quite low through a 2x12 with G12H30 and G12M.

I imagine if I ran a high gain brutalz module into a 4x12 and dialed in a lot of thump and then put that module into the Syn30 through the same cab it might be a problem trying to get the same low end effect.

kingbobalou

If Synergy had a blackface Twin type module I'd be in. I need the dirty rock tones but for the music I cover I still also need the authentic clean BF twin/deluxe reverb tones. A housing that held four modules would be the bees knees too.

Monkeyboy23

If Synergy had a blackface Twin type module I'd be in. I need the dirty rock tones but for the music I cover I still also need the authentic clean BF twin/deluxe reverb tones. A housing that held four modules would be the bees knees too.
The T-DLX module is a blackface twin and deluxe.

Monkeyboy23

TL;DR: If you hit the strings at all, it's gonna distort a lot even at the lowest possible gain settings.

All tracks recorded with a PRS Modern Eagle V in single coil mode
Interesting.
Here's some cowboy chords on a Gretsch Jet. I bashed away and got Buddy Holly levels of grind (clean) with my volume knob all the way up and the gain knob on the Metro as low as it will go without going silent. I imagine a vintage-output Strat / Tele would be a tad cleaner than this.

My HB guitars are more bluesy broken clean than the Jet, but they both have hotter pickups.

You do have that monster rack, maybe our gain staging is different.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Interesting.
Here's some cowboy chords on a Gretsch Jet. I bashed away and got Buddy Holly levels of grind (clean) with my volume knob all the way up and the gain knob on the Metro as low as it will go without going silent. I imagine a vintage-output Strat / Tele would be a tad cleaner than this.

My HB guitars are more bluesy broken clean than the Jet, but they both have hotter pickups.

Interesting. These units don‘t appear to be built very consistently then. FWIW, I recorded my track directly into my DAW:

Guitar > Syn1 > TwoNotes Torpedo Studio > Burl AD/DA > DAW.

All gain levels were checked to ensure no clipping in the signal path.

kingbobalou

The T-DLX module is a blackface twin and deluxe.
Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

zebrapup

Interesting.

Glad to hear the guitar’s inherent qualities come across so distinctly. Really getting antsy waiting for USPS.

Econ

When you use a Syn2 with an amp to add channels and put effects in the Syn2’s effect loop, do you still get the effects, even if you are using your amp channels and not the modules on the Syn2?

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
As noted there is a Twin module. Re a housing that holds 4 modules agreed - Synergy hasn’t done one (yet) but my understanding is that they will work in an Egnater M4. Here’s my old rack rig with 4 modules - in addition to providing a huge array of tones at the push of a button, it allowed me to remove all drives/boosts from my rig:

View media item 36130

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
I've been talking to the moderator of the facebook group and I'm thinking about spinning up a Reddit community for Synergy/Randall stuff.

I love TGP, but one giant hairball thread is a little cumbersome to deal with. The facebook group is great for quick "here's what I'm doing today" posts but not great for larger discussions. The old grailtone forum seems to have too many groups and its hard to follow new posts- plus it doesn't have an SSL cert so you have to send your login password over clear text. I think Reddit could be a good middle ground to complement these other areas.

Any thoughts?

Elric

Hot Rod Saturated Plexi Tones, thinking EVH/Jose style stuff... what is your first choice TGP Synergy megathread peeps?

Friedman HBE
Plexi
Metroplex

Considering one of the above as the next module to add to my collection.

Kelly

Hot Rod Saturated Plexi Tones, thinking EVH/Jose style stuff... what is your first choice TGP Synergy megathread peeps?

Friedman HBE
Plexi
Metroplex

Considering one of the above as the next module to add to my collection.
Friedman be or Fryette Deliverance for evh. A jose mod really doesn't sound like evh, the hbe would be a good choice for that though.

zebrapup

Just a quick review on SYn-1 and metroplex module. I’m astonished. At this price point, running straight to a mixing board no eq, with the onboard cab sim, The slightest shaving of bass frequencies from a VFE Rocket with no boost at all, and an MXR micro phase, its stellar. Hard to believe my ears. Through flat response studio monitors. Eddie on the left, me on the right... it’s so close its mind blowing. Particularly VH 1 and II. EXACTLY what I was hoping and actually exceeding my expectations. Again, if you guys are looking for amp feel and the inherent qualities of the amps the modules represent, this is a coup. A veritable no brainer. I opted for a tech 21 power engine for onstage monitoring and it sounds just as good there. As I would expect. The ability to use the power engine EQ to boost lo end or a touch of high end to cut through a stage mix without altering what the front of house receives is brilliant as well. I’m a believer. So glad I took the plunge. If you’re close... do it.

Trending Topics