Synergy modular thread

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I just sold the Metroplex. It really needed to be LOUD to come alive in my setup which is still the full blown SYN-30. So LOUD (no master volume options) is like, pretty crazy. I do agree it had more gain then I expected and the mids were super prominent -- a little too much for my needs.
I'm gun shy on another Plexi option because I assumed Metro would do it better than anyone possibly could?
Personally I like the Plexi a little better than the BE. Haven’t tried the Metro.

Jason_86_951

Silver Supporting Member
I liked the 800 quite a bit better than the plexi, but I am more AIC than EVH. The plexi had a ton of gain and was a bit too loose for my liking.

Let's chat about the Deliverance. Such a KILLER model, but what is up with the fizz behind the note on channel one. Is it a defect in some of them or just like it is?

Honestly, it depends on the tone I'm going for. For straight out metal rhythm tones, the Uber and Powerball are the top 2 IMO. For a great hard rock tone, not as tight, I would go with the 2 fryettes and the SLO.
Are you saying the Uber and powerball sounds tighter than the ultra-lead?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
When you use a Syn2 with an amp to add channels and put effects in the Syn2’s effect loop, do you still get the effects, even if you are using your amp channels and not the modules on the Syn2?
yes

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I just sold the Metroplex. It really needed to be LOUD to come alive in my setup which is still the full blown SYN-30. So LOUD (no master volume options) is like, pretty crazy. I do agree it had more gain then I expected and the mids were super prominent -- a little too much for my needs.
I'm gun shy on another Plexi option because I assumed Metro would do it better than anyone possibly could?
The Plexi module has that handy Vol I and Vol II control for each channel, just like the normal and brilliant volumes on an old Marshall. Comes in really handy for dialing in the overall EQ even before touching the EQ knobs.

Kelly

I liked the 800 quite a bit better than the plexi, but I am more AIC than EVH. The plexi had a ton of gain and was a bit too loose for my liking.

Let's chat about the Deliverance. Such a KILLER model, but what is up with the fizz behind the note on channel one. Is it a defect in some of them or just like it is?
Could be a preamp tube issue.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
The Bogner Ecstasy module that I ordered a few MONTHS ago finally arrived a couple days ago. I had a chance to try it out over the weekend. So far, I am very pleased with it, but I admit that I have not remotely begun to dig deep into it. I've barely touched upon the three modes or three bright settings. And, although I've read about internal switches here, I don't see anything in the (typically light) owner's manual.

PRE-EQ Switch - Per the manual, N is normal and B1 is a bright switch, like on a Fender. And B2 is even brighter. That seems weird. B1 does seem to add some brightness, which creates the perception of less lows. But when I flip to B2, it doesn't just sound brighter, it seems higher gain and with more bass too. Is that anyone else's experience?

SCHIZO Switch - Per the manual, this is the '60s, '70s and '80s switch. The settings are labeled M, V and C. My assumption is that '60s equates to JTM, '70s equates to JMP, and '80s equates to JCM. Is that supposed to be the deal? And given the chronology of those styles and decades, I'm thinking:
V = '60s = Vintage = JTM
C = '70s = Classic = JMP
M = '80s = Modern = JCM
Is this right?

aside

I have the Deliverance, haven't noticed any weirdness. Good module, but having deep and presence on a preamp seems particularly odd.

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
Are you saying the Uber and powerball sounds tighter than the ultra-lead?
I think they are maybe a little tighter and voiced a bit more towards what I think of for modern metal. The ultra lead is also pretty tight a s quite dry, like most fryette stuff. It's a terrific module, and better for leads IMO than the other 2. but for me, the uber and Powerball have more of the modern metal tones in my head for tight rhythms.

Elric

I think they are maybe a little tighter and voiced a bit more towards what I think of for modern metal. The ultra lead is also pretty tight a s quite dry, like most fryette stuff. It's a terrific module, and better for leads IMO than the other 2. but for me, the uber and Powerball have more of the modern metal tones in my head for tight rhythms.
+1. The Ultra-lead covers a ton of ground. It does not feel as unreservedly aggressive to me as the Uber or PB (or Savage). It has plenty of gain and can do metal for sure but I agree with @Jugghaid it does not feel as naturally modern metal to me as the Bogner or Engl.

The EQ is powerful but fiddly and it desperately needs real notches for zero but hey it is a six band EQ on a module. Can't complain too much it is still neat and you can turn it off if you do not dig it. Plus it's backlit.

I've been running the Deliverance and the Ultra Lead in the Syn2 for a week or two. Definitely a rad setup. I have the EQ pretty much set now and use it on the Red and then leave it off on the other for contrast. The mids switch is major and the high low on both channels is very cool. I have a cleanish on the Deliverance Ch1, a full on Hard Rock gain tone on Deliverance Ch2, a Broken up sound on UL Ch1 and the Metalz on UL Ch2 w/ the EQ enabled.

All that said, if I had to pick one of the two Fryettes the Deliverance is my current fave of the two, mostly because I can cover my bread and butter tones and do not have to fiddle with it too much now that I am no longer confused by the two gain knobs.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Brian W did a pretty nifty comparison of some Marshall flavored modules including both of those.

Great video! Brian has a ton of excellent gear demo videos now which are very indepth and well done.
The Dirty Shirley just kills as seen in this video for broken up tones, classic rock and really pushed. I don't recall having any issues getting great tones (including responsive to volume knob changes) between the two channels. You can even tell in the video Brian is digging it a lot.
I feel like I could get the Plexi module to work for me. There is still some "stickiness" in the mids and woofiness that reminds me of the Metroplex.
The JCM800 actually sounds tasty. He mentions the chimey-ness on the cleanish passages. I would expect MORE of that in a Plexi, but I didn't get that at all in the Metro.

The JCM800 shows promise (love the Shaun Tubbs demo) the DS might still be my best bet, not sure.
Also a little strange he does his cleanish stuff on the red channel(s) and more gain on the blue(s)?
I always (and just assumed) did my lower gain stuff on the blue channel, then higher/tighter on the red.

Also, those individual volume settings on the SYN-30 (recall, SYN-30 doesn't have an overall master) are LOUD in the room; Gig level, probably 100dB + @3-6 feet to give you an idea of how loud we are talking.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
The Bogner Ecstasy module that I ordered a few MONTHS ago finally arrived a couple days ago. I had a chance to try it out over the weekend. So far, I am very pleased with it, but I admit that I have not remotely begun to dig deep into it. I've barely touched upon the three modes or three bright settings. And, although I've read about internal switches here, I don't see anything in the (typically light) owner's manual.

PRE-EQ Switch - Per the manual, N is normal and B1 is a bright switch, like on a Fender. And B2 is even brighter. That seems weird. B1 does seem to add some brightness, which creates the perception of less lows. But when I flip to B2, it doesn't just sound brighter, it seems higher gain and with more bass too. Is that anyone else's experience?

SCHIZO Switch - Per the manual, this is the '60s, '70s and '80s switch. The settings are labeled M, V and C. My assumption is that '60s equates to JTM, '70s equates to JMP, and '80s equates to JCM. Is that supposed to be the deal? And given the chronology of those styles and decades, I'm thinking:
V = '60s = Vintage = JTM
C = '70s = Classic = JMP
M = '80s = Modern = JCM
Is this right?
Sorry for quoting myself, but maybe this is useful to others.

Regarding the bright switch, it seems that the manual may be misleading. I went back and looked at the owner's manual for the Bogner Ecstasy Red and Blue pedals and compared that with the Synergy module manual.

Pedal Manuals:
B1 = high frequency boost
B2 = boosted midrange and high frequency

Synergy Module Manual:
B1 = acts like a bright switch on an old Fender Twin
B2 = even brighter than B1

Sure seems like the switches work as described on the Bogner pedals. Which once again makes me wonder what trained ape wrote these Synergy manuals?

And while we are at it, the manual is completely silent on the "internal switches" I've read about in this mega thread. Can anyone explain what the switches are? What they do?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Great video! Brian has a ton of excellent gear demo videos now which are very indepth and well done.
The Dirty Shirley just kills as seen in this video for broken up tones, classic rock and really pushed. I don't recall having any issues getting great tones (including responsive to volume knob changes) between the two channels. You can even tell in the video Brian is digging it a lot.
I feel like I could get the Plexi module to work for me. There is still some "stickiness" in the mids and woofiness that reminds me of the Metroplex.
The JCM800 actually sounds tasty. He mentions the chimey-ness on the cleanish passages. I would expect MORE of that in a Plexi, but I didn't get that at all in the Metro.

The JCM800 shows promise (love the Shaun Tubbs demo) the DS might still be my best bet, not sure.
Also a little strange he does his cleanish stuff on the red channel(s) and more gain on the blue(s)?
I always (and just assumed) did my lower gain stuff on the blue channel, then higher/tighter on the red.

Also, those individual volume settings on the SYN-30 (recall, SYN-30 doesn't have an overall master) are LOUD in the room; Gig level, probably 100dB + @3-6 feet to give you an idea of how loud we are talking.
I agree on the Dirty Shirley. Sounds great.
From what I understand on the Friedman modules, they are more or less derived from different (albeit similar) Marshall circuits
DS = early JTM
BE = Plexi JMP
HBE = hotter Plexi JM
The "BE" obviously stands for Brown Eye, which is a nod to the EVH brown sound. So it's clear that the BE and HBE are going for that classic Plexi and hot rodded Plexi thing. But the DS is a nod to the earlier JTM era (think Hendrix), so it's not a surprise that they excel at those lower gain tones.

I don't own the 800 module (JCM derived). But I do have the Plexi. IMO, it does a great job at those chimey, low gain type tones. Having the Vol I and Vol II is huge for this. You can turn Vol II all the way off, or at least way down, and mostly use Vol I for those trebley, Marshall type tones. And of course, you can mix either volume to taste for a completely alternate tone on the other channel.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that he set the lower (blue) channel to higher gain than the upper (red) channel a few times. On some of the modules, it doesn't matter, since the two channels are identical. But on others, if there is a difference, the top/red channel is always the one with higher gain and/or compression. I'm fairly certain that the modules he showed in this video have similar channels. I think...

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I agree on the Dirty Shirley. Sounds great.
From what I understand on the Friedman modules, they are more or less derived from different (albeit similar) Marshall circuits
DS = early JTM
BE = Plexi JMP
HBE = hotter Plexi JM
The "BE" obviously stands for Brown Eye, which is a nod to the EVH brown sound. So it's clear that the BE and HBE are going for that classic Plexi and hot rodded Plexi thing. But the DS is a nod to the earlier JTM era (think Hendrix), so it's not a surprise that they excel at those lower gain tones.

I don't own the 800 module (JCM derived). But I do have the Plexi. IMO, it does a great job at those chimey, low gain type tones. Having the Vol I and Vol II is huge for this. You can turn Vol II all the way off, or at least way down, and mostly use Vol I for those trebley, Marshall type tones. And of course, you can mix either volume to taste for a completely alternate tone on the other channel.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that he set the lower (blue) channel to higher gain than the upper (red) channel a few times. On some of the modules, it doesn't matter, since the two channels are identical. But on others, if there is a difference, the top/red channel is always the one with higher gain and/or compression. I'm fairly certain that the modules he showed in this video have similar channels. I think...
Now you have me thinking the Plexi could be a great one as I have owned Plexi style amps (both volume knobs used in tandem) before.
I agree the DS has a fatter, JTM vibe but I believe it is sort of a cross between a JTM power section with a JCM front end? So more available gain on tap and possible brightness (at least with the bright switches).
I had the DS mini and really liked it, I liked the module in my SYN-30 even better!
Anyway, so many options for the Synergy stuff and they do not all sound the same that is for sure.

Trending Topics