Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

So I was listening to a number of Shawn Tubb’s demos again last night, and wondered if it’s just my hearing or not. I kept hearing a slight high-end fizz in all the recordings, and on the PRS too, not just the single coil guitars. Is that me, is he recording direct with the cab sim on, or is that the nature of the preamps themselves?

2. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The other thing i would love to know though , how long is module development , Like the Fryettte modules i thought would be out at release and they are still coming .
    So In reality if Bogner just signed on and said lets do my XTC red ,I would figure we are likely looking at 6 to 10 months based on the time its taken to get Synergy to market could be longer , Thats a question for the Synergy guys to answer , after a module is chosen and design begins what is the target build times if everything aligns .

3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

his vids are a mic'd Bogner 212 cab and the Syn 50/50 power amp , for the most part except the Morgan/Slo Syn2 ,he uses the XLR direct at the end of that vid , it sounds a little thinner but its pretty good to me

4. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Have you guys ever tried the Egnater COD module? Some says it’s completely different from Boogie Mark series and some say it’s bang on - but may be an option to consider ...

Bucksears likes this.
  5. rumbletone

I suspect at least some of the Fryette delay is because he was working on other Synergy things (such as the power amp). I also suspect it depends on how close the new module would be to the existing modules - if it’s just a matter of changing values of an existing module or whether it requires a completely different PCB, faceplate layout, etc.

6. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I always thought the COD was part Dumble, part early Mesa Mark.

rumbletone likes this.
  7. gtr37

gtr37 Member

this is true on the Fryette , I guess we will have better answer to that at NAMM, Engl was announced in October so if their module is at the show ,thats about 3 to 4 months development .
    if that is accurate a Bogner offering could show up in the spring

8. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

Haven't tried the C.O.D. but Egnater's description makes it sound more like a post-gain Fender tone stack than a pre-gain Mark tone stack...

"C.O.D. -
    What would you say if we told you that you could have one of the most famous boutique amplifiers in recent history- and you wouldn’t have to get in a bidding war with John Mayer to have it?
    Well, welcome to the module that lives comfortably between the Dumble Overdrive Special and the Mark IIc, except with it’s own little twist. Even Marshall die-hards who don’t care for Fender amps really like this module because it cuts differently and you play differently. It feels and responds like a Marshall, but with a Fender EQ. You’ll get a module that brings out the mid range in single coils and just loves the neck pickup on a Les Paul. This module is perfect for both Robben Fordabees and Dream Theaterrites.
    Match Made In Heaven: Try this with a T/D and get the backstage tour of blues-rock heaven."

I use a Salvation MarkUs to Boogie, the pre-gain tone stack dials in much like my old Studio pre and driving a 395 Simul-Class power amp helps matters. Looking forward to a new Bogner flavor!

[​IMG]

teofilrocks and Bucksears like this.
  9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

The more I see this going, the more Egnater modules I'd like to see re-released under the Synergy brand.

10. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I think the 800 is very similar to the SL2 Renegade
    I think Bruce will do a Syn
    Modern HIgain

11. rumbletone

But isn’t the Dumble ODS (non-HRM) tone stack also pre-gain?

12. TTripp

TTripp Member

I'm all over this once I make it through the holidays and tax time. Going to be a long winter.

13. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Just saw the latest demos
    Of bassman and VH4 and I am kind of getting frustrated with the demos to be honest
    There are literally no official demo of the Vh4 being shown in a rock or hi gain setting
    The latest demo shows the bassman and VH4 and they pretty much sound identical
    As this guy plans a fusiony
    Musical piece
    It reminds me of the Tubbs demos nice polite smooth
    Sounds that all sound similar
    Does this thing do hi gain lol

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Rebuilding my rack now that I've received some gear I sent out for repairs and a few units from Synergy. Just racked up a Syn2 and testing out a few modules. Hardware looks really good, the modules mounted really easily and everything worked right away. Right now I'm really liking the Morgan AC and T/DLX modules. The Morgan is nice, there's a lot of britpop / shoegazer goodness at lower gain settings. The Twin channel on the T/DLX module has a ton of dynamic headroom and the clean sounds are simply massive - it will be a good compliment to my Triaxis and JMP1 units. The Deluxe channel was a little trickier to dial in, but after experimenting with the treble control and the bright switch I've found some edge of breakup sounds I like. I'm having a difficult time with the Metroupulos module. I pulled it after about an hour of frustrated experimenting, the high mids were just overpowering IMHO. I'll mess with it again once I get the rest of my rack reassembled.

A (hopefully) helpful note for others looking at the Syn2: The line levels between the individual modules and the Syn2 unit need to be set up carefully. If you set the output volume from the modules too hot it will overload the Syn2 unit and sound fizzy. The overload LED on the Syn2 unit isn't really a good measure, mine only lights up well after I've already saturated the heck out of my output signal. It's solveable but requires a little tweaking. It's possible that the fizziness some people are hearing in certain demo videos is being caused by setting the units up in a hurry and not dialing them in before recording.

teofilrocks likes this.
  15. Axisman5150

Axisman5150 Member

Bruce mentioned he's working on a new "Dumble" module for the Synergy line. I asked him in the Tone-Talk if it was similar to the COD. His answer is here:

I like the COD, has a lot of mids and like a Mesa you have to turn the bass down a lot. Does have a smooth distortion and cleans up nice too like a Blackface. It does pair up nice with the T/D module. Look forward to seeing Bruce's new take!

16. teofilrocks

I thought the BMAN module sounds pretty nice in this piece, he's just using DI.

17. gtr37

gtr37 Member

It sounds great but listen to
    The Deizel VH4 he does they
    Both sound very close
    The real Deizel is very different in sound and tone to a bassman but here much like Shawn Tubbs vids they are made to sound the same

18. teofilrocks

Oh wait, he uses a VH4 in there? I thought you were referring to another video that I couldn’t find. Lol. Didn’t even notice. Yea, just rewatched and there it is on the 8 string.

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

After a few more hours...

The Metropoulos module has a ton of high-mids and treble on tap. It's a high gain beast of a preamp. Dialing back the mids and treble brought it more in line with sounds I'm used to (e.g., '71 Super Bass, JMP-1, DSL100) but the controls are very sensitive. At about 10am on the gain dial, the slightest turn of the mid or treble knobs can change the sound dramatically . Once you find the sweet spot it's petty easy to dial in lots of familiar '80's modded Marshall sounds, though.

I'm really liking the Morgan AC for britpop / shoegazer type music. I've found I needed to crank the bass control more than I'm used to but once I dialed it in it's been a blast to play songs from The Church, Ride and Hoodoo Gurus.

The T/DLX module is a bit of a mixed bag. The Twin channel is fantastic, the cleans are some of the best I've ever been able to get in a rack system. I can't wait to get it hooked up with my 1210 and TERC later today. The Deluxe channel is ok, but IMHO gets pretty shrill and fizzy at gain settings over 10am on the dial. Also, the B and T toggle switches don't sound very good to my ears (i.e., B = Boom and T = Tinnitus).

Overall, I'm liking what Synergy has done with the Syn2. I'm hooking MIDI up tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some feedback on how that goes as well.

ctreitzell and voojo like this.
  20. Axisman5150

Axisman5150 Member

I wonder how the Morgan compares to the Egnater Vox module.