• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Synergy modular thread

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works. But the OS module has a very interesting clean tone. I don’t really know what the SYN30’s built in clean sounds like. But the OS is fairly versatile. Full three band EQ, plus the multiple switches: Deep, Bright, and Rock/Jazz.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works. But the OS module has a very interesting clean tone. I don’t really know what the SYN30’s built in clean sounds like. But the OS is fairly versatile. Full three band EQ, plus the multiple switches: Deep, Bright, and Rock/Jazz.
I've owned both. They both do a jazz clean really well with the OS edging out the SYN30 there. The OS blue channel has more tweak ability and sounds pretty musical at any setting. And the OS red channel is a mid focused sleeper. Both channels of the OS take pedals well. The SYN30 clean channel is very bass heavy.

I realized the onboard attenuator / line out of the SYN30 comes out really hot. You are not getting too much power amp color in the tone since the volume has to be set pretty low. There is no level control on the line out, that would have cured that issue. I have a Weber attenuator coming tomorrow in the mail. I hope to be able to hear the SYN30 turned up louder and ran through some IRs. I tried it with a Two Notes Captor, didn't bond with that tone at all and returned it (the Captor) the same day I received it.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned both. They both do a jazz clean really well with the OS edging out the SYN30 there. The OS blue channel has more tweak ability and sounds pretty musical at any setting. And the OS red channel is a mid focused sleeper. Both channels of the OS take pedals well. The SYN30 clean channel is very bass heavy.

I realized the onboard attenuator / line out of the SYN30 comes out really hot. You are not getting too much power amp color in the tone since the volume has to be set pretty low. There is no level control on the line out, that would have cured that issue. I have a Weber attenuator coming tomorrow in the mail. I hope to be able to hear the SYN30 turned up louder and ran through some IRs. I tried it with a Two Notes Captor, didn't bond with that tone at all and returned it (the Captor) the same day I received it.
The XLR out has a -20dB switch (at least on the combo) which you press in and it will drop the DI output considerably. I run it this way to keep from overloading mixing desk or FRFR when I use the DI out.
I actually would like to try DI out, disable the cab simulation and run into something like the Mooer Radar which hosts IR's (better cab simulation).

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
The XLR out has a -20dB switch (at least on the combo) which you press in and it will drop the DI output considerably. I run it this way to keep from overloading mixing desk or FRFR when I use the DI out.
I actually would like to try DI out, disable the cab simulation and run into something like the Mooer Radar which hosts IR's (better cab simulation).
Thanks, I’ll test that out tonight.
[Edit]
The DI output was manageable, the tone however wasn't pleasing sounding. I need to dial several knobs (pun not intended).
[2nd Edit]
The Weber Mass line out and 3 band eq sounded way better. I can only imagine how good an Ox Box sounds.

Last edited:

marshall2553

Has anyone swapped out preamp tubes? I'm tempted to put in a couple of lower gain/lower noise tubes in my Ecstasy module. But after taking the cage off I'm not sure how to get them out. I don't want to put much force on them considering how they're on that vertical riser card.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Has anyone swapped out preamp tubes? I'm tempted to put in a couple of lower gain/lower noise tubes in my Ecstasy module. But after taking the cage off I'm not sure how to get them out. I don't want to put much force on them considering how they're on that vertical riser card.
I haven't, my preamps are all stock.

realdealblues

Silver Supporting Member
Random as I recently picked up a couple more modules, but in the manual it always says "the cathode select switch will come preset to Synergy's preferred setting" and every single one I have bought has been set to position 1.

Pretty sure all the modules I have say the preferred position is 3, but it always shows up in position 1.

Assume I am not the only one who always has to check and flip the switch but thought maybe I'd ask.

I've never tried moving it around, just have always set them on the preferred setting per the manual. Not sure how much difference it makes in the sound.

Random as well but my other gripe about the manuals is I wish they would go into a bit more detail on a lot of the toggles switches. Like this switch boosts these frequencies or this switch effects the bass response or tightness or whatever. They are generally pretty vague and some are dependent on where the gain is set as to whether they have much effect, etc. Anyone else find that a bit annoying?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I thought it normally says cathode select switch is in middle position (2) normally. The SLO is in 3 and maybe another module is in 1?
RE: toggles, yes the XTC took me a while to tweak but someone has a great post right in this thread about what they do, super detailed.
There are toggles on my T/DLX and I just used my ears.
Same for the Fryette Deliverance I had.

realdealblues

Silver Supporting Member
I thought it normally says cathode select switch is in middle position (2) normally. The SLO is in 3 and maybe another module is in 1?
RE: toggles, yes the XTC took me a while to tweak but someone has a great post right in this thread about what they do, super detailed.
There are toggles on my T/DLX and I just used my ears.
Same for the Fryette Deliverance I had.
My Soldano, Ecstasy and BE/BB modules all say position 3, but when I got them they were set in position 1 from the box. My 800 says 2 but again when I got it, it was set to position 1. The BMAN is the only one I have that is supposed to be position 1.

I also use my ears but like on the BMAN it has 3 position bright switch and 3 position tight switch. It would be great if they said when the tight switch is up it has this effect or in the middle both are neutral or how a standard bassman would be, etc.

The Ecstasy actually details the Pre EQ switches pretty good and was also a little easier because I've owned the Red and Blue pedals before. They tell you the gain switches are best thought of as 60's, 70's, and 80's gain. But then they label the Schizo switches M, V, C with no label. My first thought were ok so like, M for Modern, V for Vintage, C for Classic but I don't know if that's right. So why not label them Lo, Med, Hi gain or say going from up to down the switch increases in gain and compression or something.

I'm sure I'm just being petty but it just feels like they could have been a little more in depth rather than here's a 3 position tight switch and not tell you what it's doing or which position has the tightest feel, or what frequencies are being boosted in a 3 position bright switch, etc. Seems lazy or like they themselves don't know what they do.

Last edited:

Inerzia

My modules also came with the cathode switch in "stray" positions. No big deal though, I've tried the three on every module anyway :p
... and in 4 out of 5 of them, my favorite position is not the default one

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Prymaxe also has Synergy stuff 15% off. (Actually sorry I didn't order there because where I live I usually get stuff faster from them. Oh well.)

Elric

My Soldano, Ecstasy and BE/BB modules all say position 3, but when I got them they were set in position 1 from the box. My 800 says 2 but again when I got it, it was set to position 1. The BMAN is the only one I have that is supposed to be position 1.
Yeah, I always check my modules... some of the switches are reversed too. I.e. on some the leftmost switch is 1 on others it is 3. So you have to check the switch and manual, some of the manuals do not match the manuals either in terms of the orientation... so yeah, Syn should really redo their manuals. :D

realdealblues

Silver Supporting Member
My modules also came with the cathode switch in "stray" positions. No big deal though, I've tried the three on every module anyway :p
... and in 4 out of 5 of them, my favorite position is not the default one
How do find the switch effects the general sound? Is it more of an EQ thing or a feel thing or compression thing?

Trending Topics