• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Synergy modular thread

gibsonash

Hi guys , i have Syn30+1X12 cab and 2 modules (metro and SLO) on the way . I read all the 145 pages :cool: but didn t find my answer(s) .
Is it possible to add syn1 (with 1 module) to the Syn30 ? how about switching flexibility that way ? What the con ...?
I already have AX8 as well that i want to connect in 4cm (i know how to connect it) but with the syn1 i m a little lost ...
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English , Frenchy here :rolleyes:

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
Hi guys , i have Syn30+1X12 cab and 2 modules (metro and SLO) on the way . I read all the 145 pages :cool: but didn t find my answer(s) .
Is it possible to add syn1 (with 1 module) to the Syn30 ? how about switching flexibility that way ? What the con ...?
I already have AX8 as well that i want to connect in 4cm (i know how to connect it) but with the syn1 i m a little lost ...
I think it is possible. I own a SYN30 and want to do the same thing. What we need to figure out is if the SYN30 loop is series or parallel. I suspect it is series.

Elric

It’s possible for sure but the Syn1 doesn’t have MIDI so you would likely use its foot controller along with MIDI for the Syn30. So you are looking at multiple foot controllers... If you want to integrate an FX unit a SYN2 might be simpler because then everything would br midi.

But yeah, its a viable rig... from a connection standpoint it should be straightforward.

Last edited:

Inerzia

How do find the switch effects the general sound? Is it more of an EQ thing or a feel thing or compression thing?
More EQ than anything, as far as I can tell, but it's been a while (summer maybe) since I last changed one such setting, so I can't really be sure. What's your take on this?

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
It’s possible for sure but the Syn1 doesn’t have MIDI so you would likely use its foot controller along with MIDI for the Syn30. So you are looking at multiple foot controllers... If you want to integrate an FX unit a SYN2 might be simpler because then everything would br midi.

But yeah, its a viable rig... from a connection standpoint it should be straightforward.
Sounds like two steps to change a patch at times. Tap dance.

c3c709220115503488744391bbb2bdc1_3x3.jpg

Elric

There are devices that can convert MIDI to TRS relay signal that would overcome the tap dance effect but yeah, IMHO, it is worth springing for a Syn 2 or Syn50 if you want two modules.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
With the modules on sale, this could be the perfect time for me to try the Ecstasy for a third time! hahaha...

When I tried it the first time, I liked it. It was probably too thick for me. I ended up preferring an old single channel module I had. Then FOMO got me and I tried it again. Same result. Sounded cool but I preferred another module. Now its on sale and I'm wondering what I'm missing again.

The best way to make a small fortune is to start with a larger fortune and buy and sell modules.

baron55

With the modules on sale, this could be the perfect time for me to try the Ecstasy for a third time! hahaha...

When I tried it the first time, I liked it. It was probably too thick for me. I ended up preferring an old single channel module I had. Then FOMO got me and I tried it again. Same result. Sounded cool but I preferred another module. Now its on sale and I'm wondering what I'm missing again.

The best way to make a small fortune is to start with a larger fortune and buy and sell modules.
Try setting the cathode switch to the 2nd position. The XTC module from Gain stage 2-4 and the cathode follower are dead on. But the Syn1/Syn2, or amp heads don't have the correct option for V1. Synergy offers 1.5k/22uF, 2.7k/.68uF and 1.8k/1.0uF. The real XTC uses a 820R/.68 which rolls off a lot more bass on the front end which gives you that syrupy but tight sound.

The Steve Vai modules sounds closer to the real XTC with the cathode switch set to the 2nd position and the mids turned down.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
Try setting the cathode switch to the 2nd position. The XTC module from Gain stage 2-4 and the cathode follower are dead on. But the Syn1/Syn2, or amp heads don't have the correct option for V1. Synergy offers 1.5k/22uF, 2.7k/.68uF and 1.8k/1.0uF. The real XTC uses a 820R/.68 which rolls off a lot more bass on the front end which gives you that syrupy but tight sound.

The Steve Vai modules sounds closer to the real XTC with the cathode switch set to the 2nd position and the mids turned down.
Tried that. It helped, but not far enough for my taste. Obviously it is well loved by others though.

Tried that. It helped, but not far enough for my taste. Obviously it is well loved by others though.
I was thinking the Ecstasy was just not my cup of tea & ready to sell
But then last night I needed a lo mid gain grind. I tried a lot of modules & then <boom> the Ecstasy was perfect for that riff. Now it stays

What kind of power amp and speakers are you using?
>Diamond Nitrox 4cm return loop for power> TNL Fortin CreamBeast
Here's the track I was using it on...there's a lot going on but the track I used Ecstasy on is the initial light gain track that is prominent in front in the beginning/during the verses just to the left of center.
If I do it again, I might consider getting a wound G string for that 3rd string that I am droning on- I never used one before but this riff seems like it would love it. I think the plain steel was causing my issues with trying to find the "right" module for this...also this is a Kiesel AM7 with Lithiums, so not really the ideal pickups for this sort of thing.
The Ecstasy really was head and shoulders above the others for this kind of vibe. I tried Uber, Pitbull, a JF800, Salvo JJ, & the Nitrox (that was really cool but the mids were too wholesome). I liked/used the Vai blue for a complimentary track to this riff playing the same thing but mixed down and splashed with a lot of reverb on the right side.

The high gain stuff I used Pitbull and Uber

lespauled

Anyone really loving the Vai module? I traded for one, and besides playing For the Love of God, I don't know many Vai tunes. I guess it's really not for me.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
>Diamond Nitrox 4cm return loop for power> TNL Fortin CreamBeast
Here's the track I was using it on...there's a lot going on but the track I used Ecstasy on is the initial light gain track that is prominent in front in the beginning/during the verses just to the left of center.
If I do it again, I might consider getting a wound G string for that 3rd string that I am droning on- I never used one before but this riff seems like it would love it. I think the plain steel was causing my issues with trying to find the "right" module for this...also this is a Kiesel AM7 with Lithiums, so not really the ideal pickups for this sort of thing.
The Ecstasy really was head and shoulders above the others for this kind of vibe. I tried Uber, Pitbull, a JF800, Salvo JJ, & the Nitrox (that was really cool but the mids were too wholesome). I liked/used the Vai blue for a complimentary track to this riff playing the same thing but mixed down and splashed with a lot of reverb on the right side.

The high gain stuff I used Pitbull and Uber
I hadn't heard of Diamond amps, they look like something I would be interested in. I really like the KSR Eros boost, I think you would like it as well. It can boost a dad rock tone into something much more aggressive and tight sounding.

I hadn't heard of Diamond amps, they look like something I would be interested in. I really like the KSR Eros boost, I think you would like it as well. It can boost a dad rock tone into something much more aggressive and tight sounding.
I had a Phantom earlier this year, but was moving so sold it. That amp was surprisingly mid gain, not a whole lot of over the top available. But the cleans were amazing and lo mids gains really good. When I arrived at my new place, i quickly found a Nitrox. This is billed as the most ferocious of the line. With that in mind, it is a bit disappointing as I wouldn't call it fierce. But it does sound really good, great cleans and low mid gain, with a clean OD boost I could totally get metal with it. It tracks really well.
The best part for me was I knew the power section & loop was high level and the used prices are like 1/3 of the new prices, so it works really well as my host for synergy syn2 stuff. It has the big iron and packs a whallop when cranked.
That guy in 5FDP has been touring his nitrox forever so I assume they are rock solid. He has a great clear tone so yes, it definitely can get that.

I had a KSR Ares last year and loved it. I would get another KSR again, great "feel" to those amps!
I was just eyeballing that OD/EQ, hmmmmm....

Last edited:
Anyone really loving the Vai module? I traded for one, and besides playing For the Love of God, I don't know many Vai tunes. I guess it's really not for me.
I love the Vai module, it's one of the main reasons I joined into synergy. The blue side is amazing and inspirational, a near-perfect "clean" tone for me as I like a shade of grit. The Red side is a fun solo tone machine, I use it a lot with a clean OD boost and totally dig it. I did have a good 5-10 years of being Vai obsessed in the 90s so yeah lol. But my material really sounds nothing like Vai so I think it has wider applications. If I had to gig with only 2 modules, this would one be in there for clean and lead guitar-- and that would probably stay true if it was a pop, rock, or metal gig

Trending Topics