Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

Sweetwater system overview. Mitch mentions other manufacturers that are coming onboard: 65 Amps, Bogner, Fryette, Tone King.

2:16 mark

2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Ok...
    They need to make 1 of 2 things...or, both.
    A Plexi/Twin module, so you can get a great Fender tone and and great Marshall tone just using the SYN1.
    And/or
    A SYN2, that is one on top of the other. In addition to the regular rack size SYN2, not in place of it. (Some people want the SYN2 in a rack.)
    A "stacked" SYN2 would fit on a pedalboard. You could run an RJM Mini Line Mixer, some stereo verb/delay/modulation pedals, a stereo power amp, and a 2-12 cab.
    That would be a great sounding, little compromise, easy to transport stereo rig.
    I guess you could get 2 SYN1s, hook them together, and make a little box to hold them, stacked on top of each other.
    But, it would be bigger than what I'm talking about. A stacked SYN2 would be smaller.
    I'm such an underachiever.

3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The Problem with #1 is that the Twin and Plexi are different circuits ,if you wanted a Marshall /Fender I would look at the Bassman ,set ch 1 fender clean and pull out the midst tight on bright on , set 2 with the overdrive cranked up if that isn't close enough you need the T/D and Plexi mods seperate

rumbletone likes this.
  4. Its Luke

Its Luke Member

I agree, two different circuits wouldn't fit in the small footprint of the cartridge.

5. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

A stacked SYN2 on a pedalboard? :confused: I'd prefer not to lay flat on the floor so I can see where the dials are pointing :D. Also, if you've got a stereo power amp (likely rackmount), why would you put the SYN2 on the floor instead of in the rack? A stacked SYN2 for the desktop for those who don't use a rack at home? Sure, there may be some who want that. But honestly, I see that as a niche within a niche.

6. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

As a guess, I would try running the Synergy Plexi module with one channel set as faux-Fender clean with low gain/high master and the other side more to typecast. A hell of a lot of clean Super Lead or Super Bass has adequately fooled people on classic albums.

Serious Poo likes this.
  7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Can any one comment on the BMAN and PLEXI in regards to pure clean tones?

8. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

9. MarcoR

MarcoR Supporting Member

Haven't tried the Synergy version yet but the Egnater Bman had a great clean tone; my favorite in the MTS platform. I would imagine the Synergy version as similar in gain structure but the dual eq would make it even more flexible. I'm using the A channel of the DS for clean and very happy with it.

rumbletone likes this.
  10. MarcoR

MarcoR Supporting Member

As I mention above, I think either the BMAN or DS would get you there. Pro tip - use a compressor on the A channel of either and you can get the gain low enough for a pristine clean and match the volume of the B channel with plenty of gain.

Edit - Schmo to taste!

11. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

A few things here:
    The type of rig I'm talking about, is meant to be almost as simple and small, as a head with a pedalboard and a cabinet.
    The reason for having the SYN on the pedalboard (or, right next to it), is so you're not running long cables back and forth from your board, to the Mini line mixer and SYN pre.
    This is assuming you're not using any rack effects. All of your effects are on your pedalboard. So, SYN, next to pedalboard, into Mini Mixer, and, pedal effects into mixer, then, you're just running 2 long cables from the outputs of the mixer, to the power amp.
    The idea behind this, is a stereo rig, without having to lug a 10 space rack around. For rehearsals and small gigs or jams.
    I thought about doing something like this, but, using the Kingsley Preamp pedals on the board. But, I got to thinking, and, being as I already have modules, maybe a SYN1 on the pedalboard.
    Actually, what I'm thinking, is making a small "satellite" board, with the SYN1 and the Mini Line Mixer on it, with my LXP-1 for reverb. It would still be a lot easier than lugging a 10 space rack, and, would be in stereo, and, would sound great. Not as great as having the rack...it would be a compromise, but, would still sound better than just a head and pedalboard in mono.

12. MarcoR

MarcoR Supporting Member

Baba, I hear you... I'm always trying to think of new ways to compromise my rig to make it more convenient for gigging. It's really depressing...

Baba Louie likes this.
  13. Jason_86_951

Thanks for the info. I've got my VH4 up for trade, hopefully someone has a BMAN that they will trade for it. The VH4 is mental, but I'm digging the SLO too much!

14. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Stupid question but I just learnt of these things and am really intrigued.

Question is what would sound better?

Dirty Shirley, BE OD or VH4 pedals (I have all 3) into the front of a Two Rock Crystal or having the respective Synergy module into a Syn 2 via the FX Loop? Or better yet using the Fryette Power Station to power the cab with just the Syn preamp?

15. Jason_86_951

I had the VH4 pedal in the past and now the Synergy. The pedal sounds/feels like a toy in comparison.

16. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Thanks bro. Just lit a GAS fire under my ass. This place is the worst. Haha

17. Jason_86_951

No problem:Devil

I liked the VH4 pedal, but it just never felt right. Felt like a pedal, not an amp. The Synergy stuff feels like it should.

18. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Exactly! I inherited the BMan when I bought my M4 and expected I’d probably sell/trade it. NO WAY!! It goes from clean to crunch and is touch responsive and has that ‘tight but just loose enough ...’ tone across the spectrum of gain. With a Les Paul through a closed back cab and the gain quite high it gets right into the ‘classic rock marshall crunch’ zone. I found it so inspiring and useful I now want to build a standalone head that covers the same ground, but adding the one thing it doesn’t have - independent EQ (so I can scoop the cleans a bit). Especially with independent EQ like on the Synergy version, I could cover many gigs with just the one module.

teofilrocks likes this.
  19. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of biting the bullet on some Gear however I could use some help.

1. I'd like to run the SYN2 into my Two Rock Crystal, I just want to make sure it'll work properly. The Crystal has a passive series FX loop from what I can see online, is there any issues with it being a passive FX Loop?

2. I'm going to soon own a Fryette Power Station, would there be much difference from the SYN50/50 module vs using the power station if I wanted to?

20. pipedwho

pipedwho Supporting Member

This is so exciting. I've been rocking a MOD50 for years with the T/D, VX, COD, and SL2 modules. My main staple Fender/Marshall is the T/D and SL2, and I swap out the T/D and VX, and the COD and SL2 for variety. These modules all sound great. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new module incarnations for the Synergy line are going to be equally stellar.

I've dialled the Deluxe side of the T/D module to sound almost indistinguishable from a vintage 1968 Deluxe Reverb in a side by side comparison. Same with the SL2 and an original JCM 800. Everything from both tone to the feel and drive.

Speaker cabinets make a big difference, but I found the Celestion CL80 speakers in a 2x12 are a good middle ground without pulling the character too far in one direction to compromise the second module. That said, these speakers are similar to the Mesa MC90s in one of my other cabs which I prefer to both the Vintage 30 and the EV120L.

One other thing I've found is that using KT77 power tubes in the MOD50 is a fantastic mid ground between 6L6s and EL34s. In many ways, I actually prefer the KT77s in their own right to either. They are awesome power tubes with great clarity, bass and a bit of top end chime that can dialled up an down using the treble and presence controls without going into ice-pick territory.

I'm looking forward to adding SYN1 or 2 to the series effect loop of the MOD50 for some extra live tone changes. Of course, that'll probably mean more modules will be added to the 'collection'. :)

djd100 and voojo like this.