Synergy modular thread

evildik

I recently picked up a Syn-2. I bought a Dirty Shirley module from the forum and my Ecstacy module arrived from Prymaxe yesterday. My plan is to use the DS for cleans and classic rock and the Ecstacy for heavier stuff. However, I told myself I can’t play it until Xmas so my assumptioms about how I’ll be using those modules may change once I start turning knobs and flipping switches.

Elric

I recently picked up a Syn-2. I bought a Dirty Shirley module from the forum and my Ecstacy module arrived from Prymaxe yesterday. My plan is to use the DS for cleans and classic rock and the Ecstacy for heavier stuff. However, I told myself I can’t play it until Xmas so my assumptioms about how I’ll be using those modules may change once I start turning knobs and flipping switches.
Can the DS do a solid clean tone? It thought it was like an aggressive JTM. Does the clean have hair on it?

evildik

Can the DS do a solid clean tone? It thought it was like an aggressive JTM. Does the clean have hair on it?
I’ll find out for sure in a couple of days. I’ve seen videos of the real amps showing off a nice fat rounded clean. I’ve also got some clean profiles of that amp on my Kemper that sound pretty nice as well.

Elric

I’ll find out for sure in a couple of days. I’ve seen videos of the real amps showing off a nice fat rounded clean. I’ve also got some clean profiles of that amp on my Kemper that sound pretty nice as well.
Let us know what you think!

primal

Silver Supporting Member
Just got a Syn1 with BE module and running it with my SLO-30. Yeah, this thing is going to be a gateway drug for sure. Sounds REALLY good going through the 30. I typically have the depth knob completely off when just running the SLO straight. With the BE module I find it really likes to depth up to like 2 or 3 on the dial.

After playing it for a few days now, I would love to see Friedman come out with a 30 watt amp similar to the SLO 30. 2 BE channels and a good Buxom Betty clean. Same weight, dimensions and power section as the SLO-30. (And a depth knob)

While I love the way it sounds as an "extra 2 channels" on my SLO-30, I was not as impressed with it going direct into a recording interface. Seemed a bit muddy. And yet when I run it through the SLO 30 power section and then into the Suhr Reactive load with an IR, it sounds incredible. At least to my ears, it really wants that power amp interaction.

Elric

Just got a Syn1 with BE module and running it with my SLO-30. Yeah, this thing is going to be a gateway drug for sure. Sounds REALLY good going through the 30. I typically have the depth knob completely off when just running the SLO straight. With the BE module I find it really likes to depth up to like 2 or 3 on the dial.

After playing it for a few days now, I would love to see Friedman come out with a 30 watt amp similar to the SLO 30. 2 BE channels and a good Buxom Betty clean. Same weight, dimensions and power section as the SLO-30. (And a depth knob)

While I love the way it sounds as an "extra 2 channels" on my SLO-30, I was not as impressed with it going direct into a recording interface. Seemed a bit muddy. And yet when I run it through the SLO 30 power section and then into the Suhr Reactive load with an IR, it sounds incredible. At least to my ears, it really wants that power amp interaction.
Cool. I have an SLO30 too that I run with my Syn2 sometimes. I also pretty much keep the depth at 0... it is a fun rig. You could build a 30W BB/BE multichannel rig with a SYN2 and the SLO30. ;)

How do you set the level switch in the back of the SYN1 with the SLO BTW?

Last edited:

primal

Silver Supporting Member
Cool. I have an SLO30 too that I run with my Syn2 sometimes. I also pretty much keep the depth at 0... it is a fun rig. You could build a 30W BB/BE multichannel rig with a SYN2 and the SLO30. ;)

How do you set the level switch in the back of the SYN1 with the SLO BTW?
I have the level switch set hi.
Used it at band practice this weekend and was a little disappointed. Likely just a matter of personal preference cause when I fired it up with the BE module it sounded great, but when I would click bypass and just run the straight SLO, be it OD mode or Crunch (crunch with a boost), it ate the BE modules lunch. Just sounded richer and fuller. Bass player and singer both commented the same. The BE module did sound great and had I not been able to footswitch back to the SLO OD and Crunch channel, I likely would have been perfectly content with the tone I was getting. Definitely showed me I am personally more a fan of the SLO tone then the BE tone even though both sound great.

Elric

I have the level switch set hi.
Used it at band practice this weekend and was a little disappointed. Likely just a matter of personal preference cause when I fired it up with the BE module it sounded great, but when I would click bypass and just run the straight SLO, be it OD mode or Crunch (crunch with a boost), it ate the BE modules lunch. Just sounded richer and fuller. Bass player and singer both commented the same. The BE module did sound great and had I not been able to footswitch back to the SLO OD and Crunch channel, I likely would have been perfectly content with the tone I was getting. Definitely showed me I am personally more a fan of the SLO tone then the BE tone even though both sound great.
Interesting... I am running it in the low setting... I may try the high, my Syn channel levels seem off with the amp I have to turn the Syn modules way up to compare to the SLO even when it’s channel volumes are really low...

Anyway, the SLO is a beast. I wouldn’t fault someone for preferring it over just about anything. ;)

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really on the fence with my Synergy set up right now. I've got the SYN-2, with the 800 and Vai modules. It's a "feel" thing, but everything feels quite compressed and I'm not feeling the picking dynamics. I'm running the rack into a cab sim with a power amp sim and I'm curious if that's the reason why I'm not getting the same feel- lacking in actual tube power amp dynamics. Sounds pretty nice for recording, however.

I suppose one option is to run the SYN2 into a tube power amp, then into a reactive load, into the cab sim. I might see how this sounds and if it's any better. Perhaps the SLO module would be cool, based on the above reviews.

Last edited:

primal

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting... I am running it in the low setting... I may try the high, my Syn channel levels seem off with the amp I have to turn the Syn modules way up to compare to the SLO even when it’s channel volumes are really low...

Anyway, the SLO is a beast. I wouldn’t fault someone for preferring it over just about anything. ;)
Yeah, I had the same issue with the volumes being way off when I had it on low. Setting it on high made it so the channel volumes lined up nicely with the SLO channel volumes.

primal

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really on the fence with my Synergy set up right now. I've got the SYN-2, with the 800 and Vai modules. It's a "feel" thing, but everything feels quite compressed and I'm not feeling the picking dynamics. I'm running the rack into a cab sim with a power amp sim and I'm curious if that's the reason why I'm not getting the same feel- lacking in actual tube power amp dynamics. Sounds pretty nice for recording, however.

I suppose one option is to run the SYN2 into a tube power amp, then into a reactive load, into the cab sim. I might see how this sounds and if it's any better. Perhaps the SLO module would be cool, based on the above reviews.
I notice a big difference between going direct into my recording interface vs going through a real power amp then into a reactive load. Try, it. I think you will prefer going through the actual power amp. At least I did.

Trending Topics