Synergy modular thread

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
How does the synergy stuff sound with a solid state power amp? I was thinking of something light and portable like the Orange Pedal Baby 100 (only 7lbs). Anyone tried it?
It works but (as with any tube preamp I've ever seen) I don't think it is at its best like this. At the very least, an EQ in between can make a world of difference.

tayholliday

It works but (as with any tube preamp I've ever seen) I don't think it is at its best like this. At the very least, an EQ in between can make a world of difference.
Yeah in the video the solid state power amp seemed to have more mids, but usually you get acclimated to a change in mids and it starts to sound ok. That wasn't the case for me with that video. There's something else going on as well. I found the solid state amp unpleasant. I see that Two-Notes has some stuff that does power-amp simulation, but that's getting a bit complex.

My bummer for the synergy rack system with the 50/50 is that it still ends up being fairly heavy. Even with my relatively light rack bag, the synergy system would be > 45 lbs. Probably around 50lbs with everything.

So maybe the SYN30 at 32lbs would be better for me. More stuff to hook up when I play out (if that ever happens again hah), but easier on the back.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
I see that Two-Notes has some stuff that does power-amp simulation
You can try their Wall of Sound plugin for free and see if you like it. With a SYN30 you can take the amps effects send and plug that into your audio interface with the silent feature of the amp. I like the sound I get from that setup, although it has less gain and no feedback compared to playing through a real amp and speaker. Tweaker's heaven.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
You can try their Wall of Sound plugin for free and see if you like it. With a SYN30 you can take the amps effects send and plug that into your audio interface with the silent feature of the amp. I like the sound I get from that setup, although it has less gain and no feedback compared to playing through a real amp and speaker. Tweaker's heaven.
Syn 30 has a DI that is post poweramp too...

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
On the same subject- When you're running the output of your SYN2, which output do you use on the back of the unit, to run into your external power amp?

Since I've been running into the Effects Return, I've used the one labeled "To Amp FX Return" logically, but could use the main out. When using the To Amp FX Return, the master vol. on the far right of the SYN2 is disabled, where I know it's active on the main output.
Bumping my question above: Which SYN-2 output is best when using my tube amp as a power amp only through its effects return? Main Out or To Effects Return Out?

evildik

For those asking about solid state vs tube power amps, I just got a Syn-2 recently and broke out my Mesa 50/50 to try it and realized it’s time to have that thing serviced. It was buzzing like a hornets nest so I shut it off after just a minute and couldn’t get a good feel for how it’s going to sound. So I pulled out the ISP stealth I’ve been using to power my Kemper with and it sounded kind of lifeless. It sounds decent with the Kemper. Not so much with the Synergy modules. Now I’m going to have to wait for the Mesa to get back from the shop to really give it a fair shot. Although the Kemper sounds good through the ISP, it definitely sounds much better with the Mesa and I expect the same with the Syn-2.

In summary, I can’t yet confirm how it sounds through tube power, but I’m completely underwhelmed with it through the SS power amp. At least the one I have access to.

Jason_86_951

Silver Supporting Member
In summary, I can’t yet confirm how it sounds through tube power, but I’m completely underwhelmed with it through the SS power amp. At least the one I have access to.
I've tried a bunch and the only SS one that sounded decent, to me, was an old MosValve. Those still stomp all over the newer class D junk IMO.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
So Michael Nielsen did a comparison video recently of the Deliverance and Ultra Lead modules with a Deliverance head. Used both his VHT 2150 and also a Power Station as power amps. Thought they compared well. I've never owned a Fryette/VHT amp, but that dry gain with some fizz on top actually reminds me of my 2-channel Dual Rectifier a bit, just without all the sub-bass. Interesting.

tayholliday

So Synergy claims their 50/50 fan is quiet, but I've read otherwise. Anyone recommend a tube power amp that's relatively lightweight and passively cooled? I only need mono and it doesn't need to be a rack-mount.

Kelly

So Michael Nielsen did a comparison video recently of the Deliverance and Ultra Lead modules with a Deliverance head. Used both his VHT 2150 and also a Power Station as power amps. Thought they compared well. I've never owned a Fryette/VHT amp, but that dry gain with some fizz on top actually reminds me of my 2-channel Dual Rectifier a bit, just without all the sub-bass. Interesting.

Fryette amps sound nothing like a recto in the room, though. The fizz you hear can also be dialed out on a Fryette, but it never really can on the Recto. The Deliverance amp is capable of very chimey cleans, too.

Serious Poo