1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. i_b_tulloch

i_b_tulloch Member

@btdvox Thanks for the feedback - good to know it works with the G2. I need to get my board setup now to get the G2 working. Need to finish the studio foist though! I have all the modules you mention except the VH4, so will be interesting to know which one didn't impress you.

@gtr37 I had a play through the setup again today and what I would say is that the Synergy system is definitely noisier than my DS40. However, I turned the master on the DS way up when running a Synergy module and the noise was acceptable to me, I certainly won't need a mouse gate but then I don't normally play very heavy music.

I had a long shot of the BE module today, alongside the Plexi module. I now realise how close the BE module feels to the BE100 I had, and why I liked it so much. Much more cutting that the (host) DS preamp. With the BE there is something very different to all other modules going on in the mids which makes for very addictive playing. One thing I didn't like so much was that I felt I couldn't get enough bottom end, even with the bass cranked right up. However, perhaps this is because Im more used to the DS preamp which naturally has so much more bottom end. Much like the Metroplex module, the BE Module B/M/T are all very interactive and small changes can make a big difference. I haven't cranked the BE module yet and it may open it up. The BE100 had C45 and FAT switches which I normally ran with on, but they module doesn't have these options. It feels to me like the BE module has the C45 circuit engaged but no FAT circuit. Its a shame this hasn't been included, as I expect it should be easy enough. Also, I remember the original BE having a tad more gain on tap on the BE channel. Not sure if there is any difference between the channels but I liked the red channel better. All this was my impression playing through a tone machine CS strat which has pretty hot single coils. I broke a string on the gibson LP so couldn't play hum buckers. I loved the BE100, but I don't particularly like big heads anymore and prefer practical combos. I loved the BE100 sound and although its very much the honeymoon period, I can see this module becoming a favourite. It may be that it fits a mix situation perfectly. I think the BB/BE combo is a smart move.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is I can't stop thinking about how much I loved that BE mid thing and that I am dying to get back to play it some more.

gtrlw likes this.
  2. i_b_tulloch

i_b_tulloch Member

@The Lo Lands I know what you mean about the price in Europe. If you are looking for one or two additional sounds it is an expensive way to go, second hand amp is probably the best route. If you are looking for lots of sounds Synergy makes more sense. For me personally, the way I look at it is that in the UK I have paid less for a Syn 2 and 7 modules that I would for a single 100W boutique head at the new uk price, but it gives me much more flexibility. New Friedman and other boutique brands are really out of most peoples reach in the UK now due to the poor exchange rate. Its up almost 33% on the price I paid a few years ago. Im not convinced the boutique market can keep going the way it is. Once you have the Syn 1 or 2 housing the modules are probably 1/3 price of a good new amp such as a Marshall 1987x. If you don't like it its only a few hundred quid to flip. I am building a single room studio so great silent guitar recording is essential and I like the simplicity of the Synergy system vs plugins/kemper etc.

No doubt it is an expensive system for those in Europe though.

The Lo Lands likes this.
  3. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

I bet your lonestar paired with a drive pedal sounds amazing. Why buy a synergy?

4. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Kingsley pedals maybe?

5. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

You may want to ask @Vishnu about this.

The Lo Lands likes this.
  6. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I think mode 3 of the Minstrel and Harlot could be considered "high gain"

How's the weather in your state Tony? Oh boy it's freezin' here brrrrrrr

7. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

It's colder than a gutshot bitch wolfdog with nine suckling pups pulling a number four trap uphill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills!

Are you two fellow scots?

Baba Louie likes this.
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

9. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Even in USD, $900 seems a bit much if you just want to add one high-gain sound to your setup.

What kind of high-gain you looking for? Obviously if it’s the Friedman BE style, a good place to start would be the BE-OD pedal.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

A bit much compared to what? Can’t think of too many devices with 4 high voltage tube gain stages, all that switching/control, cab sim, level shifters, and DI, made in the USA, that cost less than $900.

Baba Louie likes this.
  11. teofilrocks

I’m not saying $900 is too much for what you get in the Synergy system. If I did, I wouldn’t have bought a SYN2. I’m saying if all someone is looking for is a single high gain sound added to their existing rig, $900 is a bit much compared to adding one pedal. If one is also looking for channel switching, cab sim, and DI, that’s a different story, but those were not mentioned.

12. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

I've got a Two-Rock Crystal and Drive pedals are quite possibly the best sounding through it, I still ended up going Synergy into the Two Rock and so far haven't regretted my decision at all.

I still own a Vemuram Jan Ray and Galea (they sound amazing through Two-Rocks) but got rid of all my "amp in a box" pedals. I had the Friedman BE, Dirty Shirley and VH4-2 pedals that I sold to fund the Synergy system.

Why are you comparing it to adding a pedal? You should be comparing it to buying other amps.

13. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Awesome. That is good a good report. I will keep an open mind.

14. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I am actually waiting to see the SYN30 Head ,the features look good and call me crazy but I just think being mated to a power section , with transformers designed for that and all integrated in one box may sounds and feel a bit better than the Syn1 Syn2 , the only complaint i have is they should have put a master on it , if no room on front panel put one on the back .
    Midi is great but really to me a master is a nice to have as 30 watts gets loud fast

15. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Is the module you are not loving the DZL?
    I see rave reviews for the Morgan , Soldano, Twin but the DZL seems to not get much praise .
    those amps also have a lot of the power section involved to push that sub bass ,perhaps that doesn't translate well to a module

16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

He answers your question right in what you're quoting.

Why would you spend $900, if you just need an additional high gain tone, and not the channel switching, cab sim, DI, etc?

17. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I suspect the thinking is that the 2 module channels already each have a master in the module itself, and the high headroom (according to Synergy) onboard clean channel doesn’t need one and couldn’t practically have one anyway - for example, if it’s a one or even 2 gain stage design, adding a master won’t do/help anything - i.e., either way it’s just a clean channel so just use the volume control to make it louder or quieter. That said, I haven’t seen a schematic so I can’t say what the architecture of the onboard clean channel looks like...

18. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Yes it was.

However after further testing and tweaking I found I fixed the issue. I felt the bass response and depth response wasn't good enough but it turns out I had the cathode switch on #1 and not the manufacturer choice which cut out quite a bit of the bass. I also crank the depth on my Power Station to get extra girth.

19. teofilrocks

Only in regards to @The Lo Lands comments. And, just following you after suggesting Kingsley pedals to him instead of Synergy. ;)

20. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Big fan of Kingsley pedals myself - and with some of the new preamp's Simon's making, I can understand why.

I do absolutely understand that certain pedals can achieve similar results. I will say with just 2 weeks of owning the Synergy system that so far it feels like the real deal to me and if you're into wanting more amps but are happy with your current one, it feels like the way to go (instead of buying pedals). I played the TDLX module for 4 hours today, and was blown away by it, simply because it nails what I remember of my Victoria Victoriette amp (Fender pre-amp going into 4-6V6 tubes prob will do that).