Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. gtrlw

gtrlw Supporting Member

I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.

scolfax, Darth Weller, voojo and 3 others like this.
  2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I really want to see comparisons of the same module, new or old, into a SYN1 or 2, compared to a Randall RM4,or an Egnater M4.
    I always even wondered if the Egnater chassis sounded better, or, just the same as, the Randall chassis.
    If the SYN2 doesnt really sound any better, then I will just keep my 4 module Vendetta chassis. I don't need all of the extra bells and whistles the SYN2 has, like Effects loop, speaker sim, that kind of stuff.
    I'm guessing it's going to sound a little bit better. Which kind of sucks, cause then I've got to make a decision, on whether it's worth $1600 or so to upgrade my chassis.
    Might be able to just mod the one I have.

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

The power amp is a tweaked version of the LXII. Fryette posted several videos of it on youtube, it's been in the pipeline for a few years.

http://www.fryette.com/lxii-stereo-power-amp/

Baba Louie likes this.
  4. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Did he ever make that LXII available for sale? I never saw it anywhere.
    I was always interested in it, but, on his website, it looked like it was still a work in progress. And after a few years, I just figured he gave up on it.
    Do you know the deal, Kelly?

5. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I'd like to see an EL-34 version. Even if it wasn't as powerful.

6. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

That amp could sell like crazy if it doesn't sound too clean. Most people interested in these will probably want at least a bit of grind and transformer saturation, and I gather the Power Station power section with similar size and weight profile is very clean and transparent.

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, this is the kind of post I don't really need to hear right now. 8)
    My goal is a Runt 50 with a Syn2, and the BE and SLO modules. I've got a MOD50 (which would be the logical choice with which to stay), but for the life of me I can't any dirt (OD/dist/fuzz) pedals to sound even halfway decent through the T/D or BMAN modules. May sound crazy, but that's a bit of a dealbreaker.

I'd love to hear a comparison of the Metroplex and BE modules, just to hear if there is any overlap.

Baba Louie likes this.
  8. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

I soooo want to get one of these setups but just don't have the cash right now. Been waiting for these to make it to market for a while and now that they did I'm broke

Baba Louie likes this.
  9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

There's a post of that in the other Synergy thread here somewhere, and yeah, it F'ing rips, for sure!

Baba Louie likes this.
  10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Metroplex module vs BE module:
    I'm guessing the BE is a little more of a hot-rodded sound. I believe when George made the Metroplex module, he based it off of his '68 Plexi head, not off of his Metroplex head in modern mode, which is more of a higher gain, hot-rodded sound. (Probably very similar to the BE.)
    I'm just guessing that the Metroplex is closer to a vintage Marshall head, maybe with more gain on tap if wanted.
    Overlap? Probably to some extent.
    What I would love to see more than anything, though, is a Superplex module. If anybody gets a chance to ask him if that's in the works, please do.

11. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

That sux.
    That's how it usually works, though.
    The bright side is, that these SYNERGY products aren't going anywhere. You can always buy them when you get the scratch.
    What sux worse, is when that vintage Les Paul that some grandmother found in her attic goes up for sale, for like $2000, and you're broke.
    That's when you just have to say: to Hell with it...I'm robbing a bank.

12. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

I would love to see some demos with the Synergy running into some solid state amps. Like a Katana, an old Peavey, JC120, maybe stand alone Class-D power amps etc. I'm very interested in the "blood from a turnip" possibilities with this.

13. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'd be most interested in seeing a SYN1 sitting on a Duncan PowerStage 700.

14. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

That would be cool.

15. djd100

djd100 Member

Great to see Synergy finally shipping, and if need be Ya'll should consider the Two Notes Torpedo CAB for use with your tube preamps as it's tube power amp sims are quite good (as are it's cab sims, IR loader, EQ, reverb/room sim/full MIDI implementation, IR capture/mix and editor software, along with the WOS DAW plugin that comes with it). The modeled tube power amp sims allow you to use lightweight solid state power.

AMT and Atomic also have modeled tube power amp sims available, though I haven't heard them.

Note that while tube power amp tube selections are a part of the tonal puzzle, you'll find that the cab speaker combination is a much larger piece of the puzzle. To that end quality convolution cab sims can be priceless when mimicking various tube amps.

Also, a cheap first generation Axe FX Ultra will provide you with a refrigerator sized rack's FX as well, see below (the MTS host is a custom 50W RM2, along with custom single channel MTS preamps, and that whole 4U rolling rack weighs in at 30lbs with power strip, cables, and power supplies for the Torpedo CAB and foot controller).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    gtrlw likes this.
  16. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Metroplex module came today. Awesome. As I expected. I just can't see how it could get any better, for a Marshall tone.
    There may be Marshall modded tones, in other modules, that kick ass, I'm sure the BE/HBE does, but, for just a straight up vintage Superlead tone, this is it.

17. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Does the Metroplex module clean up well, too, whether by guitar volume knob or its own gain control?

Baba Louie likes this.
  18. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Yes. It cleans up pretty good with your guitars volume knob. I'm not so sure about that, at higher gain levels, though. I'll mess with it later. I keep the gain at about 11 o'clock. At that setting, it's breaking up, but, not to the point of super compressed saturation.
    I have a Jaded Faith JTM module. For big, open, cleaner, uncompressed tone, that one might be a little better. But, you know, the JTM heads were like that.
    Fission, if you have MTS, tell me what Marshall style modules you have, and I might be able to give you a comparison. I also have the Salvation Duoplex.

voojo likes this.
  19. rsm

rsm Member

The VH4 module is more like a VH2 ;) missing 2 channels...this one has my attention.

I had the RM4 preamp, and a few stock modules before I went to Axe-Fx Ultra...

20. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I believe I got the very first Metroplex, because the serial numbers end in 001.
    Wow. I've never been "first" at anything.
    Number 1.
    Numero uno.
    Get in line behind me.
    Second place is just another term for "1st loser." (Dale Earnhardt)
    Yay.

scolfax likes this.