Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

He answers your question right in what you're quoting.

Why would you spend $900, if you just need an additional high gain tone, and not the channel switching, cab sim, DI, etc?

2. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I suspect the thinking is that the 2 module channels already each have a master in the module itself, and the high headroom (according to Synergy) onboard clean channel doesn’t need one and couldn’t practically have one anyway - for example, if it’s a one or even 2 gain stage design, adding a master won’t do/help anything - i.e., either way it’s just a clean channel so just use the volume control to make it louder or quieter. That said, I haven’t seen a schematic so I can’t say what the architecture of the onboard clean channel looks like...

3. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Yes it was.

However after further testing and tweaking I found I fixed the issue. I felt the bass response and depth response wasn't good enough but it turns out I had the cathode switch on #1 and not the manufacturer choice which cut out quite a bit of the bass. I also crank the depth on my Power Station to get extra girth.

4. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

Only in regards to @The Lo Lands comments. And, just following you after suggesting Kingsley pedals to him instead of Synergy. ;)

5. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Big fan of Kingsley pedals myself - and with some of the new preamp's Simon's making, I can understand why.

I do absolutely understand that certain pedals can achieve similar results. I will say with just 2 weeks of owning the Synergy system that so far it feels like the real deal to me and if you're into wanting more amps but are happy with your current one, it feels like the way to go (instead of buying pedals). I played the TDLX module for 4 hours today, and was blown away by it, simply because it nails what I remember of my Victoria Victoriette amp (Fender pre-amp going into 4-6V6 tubes prob will do that).

6. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I found this to be true as well, was on the chopping block a couple of times before I switched it back to default. Love it now, just wish it worked right....... Hopefully I will get it back soon from them. Sounds silly good with the 2/90/2.

7. chadprsman

chadprsman Member

Curious how syn works with a power station? Could you tell us how you're using ps and syn1 or 2? Through speaker cabs? Thanks

8. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

I use my tow rock Crystal's fx loop to run the syn2 and the Power Station as an attenuator and direct out. Haven't tried using the PS as the power amp but Ive heard good and bad things. Bad in the sense that the Power Station is a complete neutral power amp which is good for some preamp and bad for others.

9. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

I picked up the Syn2 with DS and AC modules back in October. After a few weeks ordered the SLO and TDLX and I'm much happier with those. The others were quite good too but not versatile enough for what I needed. I really wanted to keep the AC but funds are limited. Being limited to just 2 modules for now, the TDLX is awesome for a nice clean and breakup sound on the Tweed Channel. The SLO just gives immediate cutting rhythm/Lead tones too. I'm running the Syn 2 through a Power Station and I'm very happy with the setup. The cool thing is if I ever just want to get a real amp to rope in I can still use the Syn2 with modules and a head.

I also think there is a bit of difference between the power station and Syn5050. My brother grabbed the Syn5050 power amp and to my ears I liked the power station a bit more but his rig is still sounding quite good.

I've also been using cab sims in my Axe XL and that is working beautifully too.

MarcoR likes this.
  10. i_b_tulloch

i_b_tulloch Member

@Keg6505 How does the Axe Fx XL compare in sound and feel to the Synergy going through the power station?

11. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

Do you mean amp models in the Axe into power station into cab vs synergy into Power Station into cab? Or axe direct vs syn into PS attenuating itself line out into cab sim?

My whole reason for going to synergy was I was never quite happy with the sound I was getting going through the guitar cab. Keep in mind I've had an Axe FX since 2010 so I tried a bunch of different power amps too. However I was always happy with the direct tones using cab sims through flat speakers..etc. To me the synergy can get me a great direct tone using it in the loop of the Axe XL and putting a cab block at the end. I like that much better than the synergy cab sim. The sound coming through the guitar cabs is much better though. 4cm with the axe is a great setup.

djd100 likes this.
  12. djd100

djd100 Member

+1^^^

While the Axe FX and Kemper Profiler are very impressive in their own right, for the most accurate DI'd tube amp tones I easily prefer my custom MTS or Synergy tube preamps, along with in my case a Two Notes Torpedo CAB for tube power amp sims (and cab/room sims), with my Axe FX for FX only (the tube preamps and Torpedo CAB typically live in the Axe FX's FX Loop.

No analog cab sim can compete accuracy-wise with modern convolution cab sims, if accuracy to the real deal is the goal!

I prefer the modeled tube power amp sims and lightweight solid state power over a full tube amp and power section only for the weight/footprint savings, and ability to easily sound great at any SPL.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Keg8605 and joogi like this.
  13. i_b_tulloch

i_b_tulloch Member

@Keg6505 Yes, I was meaning comparing the feel and sound using the Axe Fx into the power station into a real cab. About 5 years ago I had a full Axe FX 2 rig, which I tried with all combinations: Into Fx return of tube amp, matrix SS power amp, FRFR etc. The only way I liked to run it was to use the preamp sims of the Axe Fx into the Fx return of the tube amp. I have a Marshall JVM and used the Axe Fx JVM setting and ran into the JVM fx return and it was pretty damn good. Also, the AFD sim into the JVM was pretty damn good too. I found all other ways of running an Axe Fx just didn’t work for me. Personally, I found FRFR terrible.

Just wondering how the Axe Fx compared to the Synergy in terms of sound and feel and if there was a noticeable difference when using tube poweramp and guitar cab?

14. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Syn2/50/50 setup. I'm leaning towards the TDLX/Metro modules. I love Vox cleans for country but I'm not hearing it in the Morgan AC module, which sounds great btw. The worn in blues and cab have a lot to do with it. I'm very impressed with what I've heard from Synergy.

15. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

Yes coming from the cab I like the Synergy feel much better. Basically because its the real thing. Now direct using the same cab ir it is much closer in feel. I haven't decided yet it I'm going to start running direct live yet or just keep mic'ing the cab. I definitely am happy with the synergy setup though. Its nice to have knobs again and an immediate satisfaction with my core amp tones. The Axe FX goes with it beautifully for FX and cabs sims and of course a great backup option as well.

djd100 likes this.
  16. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Egnater dual VX module - it does jangly clean Vox very well on channel A.

Bruce did some custom ‘T/V’ modules back in the day that had the T channel from the T/D and the Vox clean channel in a single dual module - to me that would be ideal for having Blackface cleans and vox jangle, paired with a dual Marshall module for 4 killer tones. If I start using the modular again for gigs, I may try to find or mod one into a T/V, since I rarely use the ‘D’ (which was my least favourite of the modulars - in part because it had shared EQ, unlike the new Synergy T/D module) or channel B of the Vox (which sounded great but was not useful to me other than for Queen covers. :) ).

17. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

Anybody tried a synergy setup with a matrix or Seymour Duncan Power Stage?

18. MarcoR

MarcoR Supporting Member

No but I had a Matrix with my Egnater M4 for a bit; it really needed EQ and I had to cut the bass and treble on every module A LOT. Sounded really good on clean tones but the feel was off on dirt sounds.
    I've been tempted to try the Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 for a light weight gigging rig as it has EQ but not that motivated being I have a Fryette 2/50/2 and Power Station.

Keg8605 likes this.
  19. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Question, that may or may not have been answered; do the higher gain modules have a clean channel at all, for example the BE or SLO? Or do I have to have a DLX or whatever to get clean tones?

20. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

They do not have a clean channel. There is word of a BB/BE module coming out (Buxom Betty/Friedman BE) that would give you this.