Synergy modular thread

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I had sort of written this off as non-essential but this clip and the Ola vid have me re-thinking that view.
Ditto.
He obviously didn't bother with the clean. But he sure showed how the module got "that sound". The fact that the module's 5 band EQ seems to have a tiny bit more range is no big deal at all. Just don't push the slider all the way up!

Blicious

I have the bman module and to me it sounds more like a tweed amp especially on the 2nd channel. Now does it sound like my 2 vintage tweed Bassmans, not exactly

You should try thebSalvato
Yup. Right now, I don't have rack case for it but my Syn2 is in a case with a Powerstation. I actually like the RT2/50 on the 6L6 side the best out of all options. The only downside of the Randall is the weight. It's twice as heavy as the Powerstation.

That's what I use. Killer power amp!

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
Hi guys,
My quick review of the IICP. It's pretty impressive. I used the settings Jon Stafford from Killerburst guitars used when comparing it to his iic+.
Volume 1-2:00
All switches- off
Bass-7:00 to off (just barely open works for me after everything else is set)
Presence-12:00
Master 1-12:00
Lead Drive-Dimed
Treble-2:45
Middle 1:00
GEQ: 80(bar 6), 240 (bar 4.5), 750 (bar 1 to 1.5) 2200 (bar 4.5) 6600 (bar 4).
Lead master -12:00 plus or minus

Tweaking tips from John Stafford.

-The Bass Pull Shift function from the original amp is managed by the cathode select circuitry in the Synergy module, as it acts on the first tube stage (part of the Synergy hardware, not the module). It automatically selects "pulled" in the clean/blue channel and "pushed" in the lead/red channel.

- The amp's Lead Pull Bright is hardwired to "pulled" on the IICP Module.

- The 2 Bright switches on the IICP module act as the amp's first stage Volume Pull Bright. This Allows you to select the Volume Pull Bright per channel.

-The Shift toggle switches in the IICP module represent the Treble Pull Shift function from the amp. This allows you to select the shift per channel on the module.

- The rotary controls work just as they do on the original amp. The first stage volume control cascades into the lead channel's Lead Drive knob. Higher settings of this first volume knob result in higher available gain on the lead channel, as well as the clean channel. This is typically set between 6-8 for the widest range of clean and distorted tones. For maximum distortion, compression and sustain, crank it to 10. Please note that getting a crystal clear tone on the clean channel with these extreme settings may be a challenge, just as on the original amp.

- The treble control has a very active effect on the circuit and higher settings increase gain and sustain, while also mitigating the impact of the bass and mid controls.

- The Bass control is very sensitive in high gain settings. It is not uncommon to have this control set between 0-2 with very high gain tones. Removing the bass early in the circuit and adding low end push with the 5-band Graphic EQ is standard practice for this circuit.

-The original amp's presence control operates on the power section, so this preamp presence control is unique to the IICP module and a subtle but useful addition.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys,
My quick review of the IICP. It's pretty impressive. I used the settings Jon Stafford from Killerburst guitars used when comparing it to his iic+.
Volume 1-2:00
All switches- off
Bass-7:00 to off (just barely open works for me after everything else is set)
Presence-12:00
Master 1-12:00
Lead Drive-Dimed
Treble-2:45
Middle 1:00
GEQ: 80(bar 6), 240 (bar 4.5), 750 (bar 1 to 1.5) 2200 (bar 4.5) 6600 (bar 4).
Lead master -12:00 plus or minus

Tweaking tips from John Stafford.

-The Bass Pull Shift function from the original amp is managed by the cathode select circuitry in the Synergy module, as it acts on the first tube stage (part of the Synergy hardware, not the module). It automatically selects "pulled" in the clean/blue channel and "pushed" in the lead/red channel.

- The amp's Lead Pull Bright is hardwired to "pulled" on the IICP Module.

- The 2 Bright switches on the IICP module act as the amp's first stage Volume Pull Bright. This Allows you to select the Volume Pull Bright per channel.

-The Shift toggle switches in the IICP module represent the Treble Pull Shift function from the amp. This allows you to select the shift per channel on the module.

- The rotary controls work just as they do on the original amp. The first stage volume control cascades into the lead channel's Lead Drive knob. Higher settings of this first volume knob result in higher available gain on the lead channel, as well as the clean channel. This is typically set between 6-8 for the widest range of clean and distorted tones. For maximum distortion, compression and sustain, crank it to 10. Please note that getting a crystal clear tone on the clean channel with these extreme settings may be a challenge, just as on the original amp.

- The treble control has a very active effect on the circuit and higher settings increase gain and sustain, while also mitigating the impact of the bass and mid controls.

- The Bass control is very sensitive in high gain settings. It is not uncommon to have this control set between 0-2 with very high gain tones. Removing the bass early in the circuit and adding low end push with the 5-band Graphic EQ is standard practice for this circuit.

-The original amp's presence control operates on the power section, so this preamp presence control is unique to the IICP module and a subtle but useful addition.
Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing. This one is at the top of my list.

Thinking of picking up the small single chassis deal and a morgan… running it into cab m just to fill the VOX hole here in the studio… will I feel (a) smart or (b) stupid for doing this?

thanks!

killerburst

killerburstguitars.com
Silver Supporting Member
Thinking of picking up the small single chassis deal and a morgan… running it into cab m just to fill the VOX hole here in the studio… will I feel (a) smart or (b) stupid for doing this?

thanks!

That would be a killer rig. I have a recording studio in my plaza and they bought a SYN-1 with a Metroplex module from me. They said they track 90% of their guitars direct from the SYN-1 cab sim out.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
That would be a killer rig. I have a recording studio in my plaza and they bought a SYN-1 with a Metroplex module from me. They said they track 90% of their guitars direct from the SYN-1 cab sim out.
Well in my humble opinion I don’t think the direct out on the Synergy modules is anything special. I think the Two notes cab m after a good power amp is much better as is the cab simulation on the Tone King Ironman 2. I have seen other positive comments on the direct recording out on the preamps and I just don’t get it. No knock on the Synergy stuff I really like my Synergy rig!! I run a pro recording studio and I would not be happy with those preamp di outs. Trust me you can do a lot better. Even an sm57 on a speaker cab is better.

Well in my humble opinion I don’t think the direct out on the Synergy modules is anything special. I think the Two notes cab m after a good power amp is much better as is the cab simulation on the Tone King Ironman 2. I have seen other positive comments on the direct recording out on the preamps and I just don’t get it. No knock on the Synergy stuff I really like my Synergy rig!! I run a pro recording studio and I would not be happy with those preamp di outs. Trust me you can do a lot better. Even an sm57 on a speaker cab is better.
That’s interesting…for example I kept the old VHT around for my OG cae 3+… but, the fake robot power amp in the cab m sounds great… especially in the context of a mix… and now the VHT is in storage…

but, I’m not doing heavy doom rock, metal or anything like that here… Keef, americana, country, blues stuff

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
o.k. so a new IICP set up. This is based on some things I read about Brad Gillis's set up. To really get it there, you have to play really loud. With that in mind, you may have to tweak the gains a little.
lead drive; 11:00
Volume 1 dimed
Lead bright: up
Lead shift: up
Bass: 9:00 ish
treble: 3:00
Middle: 12:30
presence: 1:30-2:00

eq
80: just above middle
240: pretty close to the top
750: between top and middle
2200 middle
6600 below middle

It's a pretty odd setup and you will have to adjust to taste but the approach is really unique and you can hear his tone in there.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
The PS100 is CHUNKY!

I am testing SYN2 with PS2...My Fryette Deliverance seemed to have a tube going bad and for some reason when using FM3 into PS2 as power amp I had to use ground lift (and PS2), with SYN2 into PS2 I had to do opposite. I had some NOS telefunken lying around and I'm extremely impressed so far with the Fryette Deliverance (which I've had before with SYN-30) into PS2 into a Creamback M cab....
BUT...
I can only imagine the SYN 5050 would be even a better match.
There is a VERY SLIGHT thinness to the PS2 and I really think it is because the power amp is very specifically voiced to reamp attenuated gear first and foremost.
I bought the rack kit for PS2, but have not installed it yet.
One thing is the PS2 weight is listed as 15lbs, but it's also 2U.
The SYN 5050 is even heavier, but 1U which is kind of great...
I felt like I needed the PS2 because I was also going to use it attenuating a real amp (Marshall SC20H). But that is no longer the case...

I think my only path forward is SYN5050. Even in super quick testing (with NOS tubes) the Fryette Deliverance into PS2 is giving me cleans on par with the best I've had in house and the best overdrive tones I have had period. I was a huge fan of the SYN-30, but I think it's actually overbuilt and now know that having multiple levels of volume control for me is MANDATORY. There is no global master on the SYN-30. On the SYN2 I have global master AND I have power amp volume as my second master.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I am testing SYN2 with PS2...My Fryette Deliverance seemed to have a tube going bad and for some reason when using FM3 into PS2 as power amp I had to use ground lift (and PS2), with SYN2 into PS2 I had to do opposite. I had some NOS telefunken lying around and I'm extremely impressed so far with the Fryette Deliverance (which I've had before with SYN-30) into PS2 into a Creamback M cab....
BUT...
I can only imagine the SYN 5050 would be even a better match.
There is a VERY SLIGHT thinness to the PS2 and I really think it is because the power amp is very specifically voiced to reamp attenuated gear first and foremost.
I bought the rack kit for PS2, but have not installed it yet.
One thing is the PS2 weight is listed as 15lbs, but it's also 2U.
The SYN 5050 is even heavier, but 1U which is kind of great...
I felt like I needed the PS2 because I was also going to use it attenuating a real amp (Marshall SC20H). But that is no longer the case...

I think my only path forward is SYN5050. Even in super quick testing (with NOS tubes) the Fryette Deliverance into PS2 is giving me cleans on par with the best I've had in house and the best overdrive tones I have had period. I was a huge fan of the SYN-30, but I think it's actually overbuilt and now know that having multiple levels of volume control for me is MANDATORY. There is no global master on the SYN-30. On the SYN2 I have global master AND I have power amp volume as my second master.
If you want to off that rack kit; let me know!

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member

They are perfectly acceptable in a LIVE situation where NO ONE wants to lug additional gear and EQ can be massaged at the board.
The SYN-30 DI out is even better because it includes the power amp.
But yes, defeating cab sims and running into an IR loader such as MOOER Radar ($110) or DAW with IR's or FM3 with IR's and gorgeous post amp FX is splendid.
But LIVE? Now way I'm hauling extra stuff.
The backline tones mixed with FOH DI out and some judicious EQ is great!
I'll be running a SYN2 rig into SYN5050 into two cabs (at big gigs) and take both DI outputs with cab simulation ON into mixer for stereo FOH.
My H9 is going to sound EPIC!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
They are perfectly acceptable in a LIVE situation where NO ONE wants to lug additional gear and EQ can be massaged at the board.
The SYN-30 DI out is even better because it includes the power amp.
But yes, defeating cab sims and running into an IR loader such as MOOER Radar ($110) or DAW with IR's or FM3 with IR's and gorgeous post amp FX is splendid.
But LIVE? Now way I'm hauling extra stuff.
The backline tones mixed with FOH DI out and some judicious EQ is great!
I'll be running a SYN2 rig into SYN5050 into two cabs (at big gigs) and take both DI outputs with cab simulation ON into mixer for stereo FOH.
My H9 is going to sound EPIC!
I have heard all bad things about the 50/50 compared to the other Fryette options.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
RE: SYN 5050
I have heard mixed results.... some people really dig it and others are not impressed. The LXII has had pretty much glowing response but it's expensive as ****!
The complaints on 5050 are slightly sterile, too clean. I mean, technically the PS2 is almost exactly the same response right?
Some people want the XTC model to sound EXACTLY like the real XTC... or the Morgan which uses EL84's to sound the same... I just want **** to sound REALLY GOOD. I can easily EQ around any sterile-ish complaints with the presence / depth on the PS2 or even the Fryette Module itself ya know?
But I guess I agree... The "devil I know" right now is the PS2; what if I spring for the 5050 and it's not as good?
:peenut
For goodness sake right now my main amp is a 35 year old MOSFET Marshall 3310!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
RE: SYN 5050
I have heard mixed results.... some people really dig it and others are not impressed. The LXII has had pretty much glowing response but it's expensive as ****!
The complaints on 5050 are slightly sterile, too clean. I mean, technically the PS2 is almost exactly the same response right?
Some people want the XTC model to sound EXACTLY like the real XTC... or the Morgan which uses EL84's to sound the same... I just want **** to sound REALLY GOOD. I can easily EQ around any sterile-ish complaints with the presence / depth on the PS2 or even the Fryette Module itself ya know?
But I guess I agree... The "devil I know" right now is the PS2; what if I spring for the 5050 and it's not as good?
:peenut
For goodness sake right now my main amp is a 35 year old MOSFET Marshall 3310!
I think all the Fryette PS and Synergy stuff is going to come off as "flat" by it's very nature. Who knows if I am even close to being right about it? There's got to be a compromise somewhere with it in comparison to every single amp with completely different topologies it's trying to mimic. I am down for the experiment if nothing else :anon

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Hello brethren, Synergy has modules on sale for $60 off through their website, including the new IICP. No tax (may vary by location), no fees, and no shipping. Zzounds and Gearnuts also have them for the same price. No discounts on docks though. I’m picking up a SYN2, OS, and IICP. So excited.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom