• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Synergy modular thread

Kelly

RE: SYN 5050
I have heard mixed results.... some people really dig it and others are not impressed. The LXII has had pretty much glowing response but it's expensive as ****!
The complaints on 5050 are slightly sterile, too clean. I mean, technically the PS2 is almost exactly the same response right?
Some people want the XTC model to sound EXACTLY like the real XTC... or the Morgan which uses EL84's to sound the same... I just want **** to sound REALLY GOOD. I can easily EQ around any sterile-ish complaints with the presence / depth on the PS2 or even the Fryette Module itself ya know?
But I guess I agree... The "devil I know" right now is the PS2; what if I spring for the 5050 and it's not as good?
:peenut
For goodness sake right now my main amp is a 35 year old MOSFET Marshall 3310!
List price on the lxii is $200 more than the 50/50.

Alchemist XP

I think all the Fryette PS and Synergy stuff is going to come off as "flat" by it's very nature. Who knows if I am even close to being right about it? There's got to be a compromise somewhere with it in comparison to every single amp with completely different topologies it's trying to mimic. I am down for the experiment if nothing else :anon

I really like the Synergy 50/50 and don't find it any more "flat" than other 6L6 Power Amps and, to the contrary, in combination with the SYN-2, I am very surprised at how responsive and 3 dimensional the tones are. I've had a number of other Power Amps over the years (Mesa, VHT, Marshall, Koch) and the 50/50 can hold its own. The range on the presence and depth knobs are perfect, IMHO.

Although I didn't get it with the intention of amplifying a modeler, when I plugged my GT1000 into, was blown away ... that was the best it has ever sounded at loud volume.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Synergy 50/50 and don't find it any more "flat" than other 6L6 Power Amps and, to the contrary, in combination with the SYN-2, I am very surprised at how responsive and 3 dimensional the tones are. I've had a number of other Power Amps over the years (Mesa, VHT, Marshall, Koch) and the 50/50 can hold its own. The range on the presence and depth knobs are perfect, IMHO.

Although I didn't get it with the intention of amplifying a modeler, when I plugged my GT1000 into, was blown away ... that was the best it has ever sounded at loud volume.
I bet. It kills through the PS100!

jnthrngd

Syn1 and IICP arrived a few hours ago and I’ve spent some good time playing it

I am very familiar with the IIC+ type tones and I have owned the Studio and Quad preamps for almost 20 years now....this module is crazy good!! I was able to basically dial things in how I normally do with this type of amp and it did not disappoint.

I had a bunch of Randall MTS modules back in the day and have had my eyes on Synergy for awhile. I love the concept and if these two products are a good indication, Synergy is doing excellent work and I can see my module collection growing quickly

With this circuit, I love the big Fender style cleans but lately I have been using my Studio preamp with a little more push for some nice breakup with my Silver Sky when you dig in. I haven’t dove into testing that with the IICP yet but I will soon. When I received it, I immediately dialed it in for that big Hetfield type of tone and I was not disappointed at ALL

The only downside so far, like others have mentioned, is that the sliders are a bit tricky/sensitive to use. Not too bad when using the edge of a pick though. I just hope to not bump things outta whack and have to dial it back in, haha.

Obviously honeymoon phase, but I do recognize the tone and feel that I am accustomed to with my Boogie gear. I’m curious to see how things hold up after I’ve had it for awhile but so far, everything looks great

Kudos to Fryette and the Synergy team!!
WIsgc6z.jpg

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member

Damn... I just don't know who to believe which means I need to buy the damn thing to try it!

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Bought! I really want to try and see if I can coax TWO good working tones out of this one - 2 channels - but we shall see. I have the SYN2 and the Deliverance is working very well so far.
I’m really interested in both Fryette preamps.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I’m really interested in both Fryette preamps.

In my SYN2 I only have a single module right now. I had the Deliverance before and I was trying to coax smooth mid gain tones on channel 1, then really strong hard rock lead tones on channel 2.
I got the lead tones easy - great rock tone, I don't think I even use the more switch on that channel as even my rock tones are pretty clean/pure.
But there was this inherent fuzziness / buziness overtone on channel 1 with gain up that I could not dial out.
With my current gear I'm just channel 1 for pure clean / cleanish tones and it sound great. Punchy, dynamic, spanky and the EQ options REALLY let you get a lot of different cleans. When I start to roll in a bit of gain it's actually sounding really nice.

Recall I stated I replaced the tubes with NOS because one was clearly dying. I'm wondering if I now revist mid gain tones with the better tubes on channel 1 if I'll get better results? I will test today. This module was loaded with EH 12ax7 which are pretty decent, but obviously one was going bad.

The IICP will fill the second slot and I do need to test the crap out of it for both two channel or a single channel, Mark based fat soaring lead tone (I don't do scooped V metal). So at the worst case I'll end up with 3 gorgeous channels which ain't bad!

I'm trying to determine best rack and visualizing if I could possible fit the H9 in the back somehow... if I can't I may lose my mind and buy a freaking Eventide Eclipse which is insanity.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Have you swapped out the JJ out of the syn-2 yet? ;)
Tube swapping did help my deliverance modules.

No, I guess I shoud consider that as well. I have another special NOS tube left over. The Jan Phillips 5751 is in my SIB Cuda pedal. I might take that out for safe keeping and sell the pedal.
The Mullards are currently in the Fryette Deliverance and I'm thinking about using the Telefunken Fischer in the SYN2.

3XbLLBv.jpg

Axisman5150

Syn1 and IICP arrived a few hours ago and I’ve spent some good time playing it

I am very familiar with the IIC+ type tones and I have owned the Studio and Quad preamps for almost 20 years now....this module is crazy good!! I was able to basically dial things in how I normally do with this type of amp and it did not disappoint.

WIsgc6z.jpg
I used to have the Studio Preamp and sold it a few years back, always regretted it. This release and your post erases that regret. Great to hear that it fills that void!

Top Bottom