• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Synergy modular thread

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
First blush reactions:

SLO: amazeballs
IICP: amazeballs on the lead, but still monkeying with balancing the toanz on the two channels
OK, more fussing completed. Here's where I landed, at least for a starting neighborhood. Rig is Suhr Thornley superstrat thingy-->no pedals-->Syn2-->Fryette 2/50/2-->2 THD 2x12 cabs. Little bit of PCM42. Nothing else.

Volume 1 cranked
Brite off
Shift off
Bass 9:00
Presence 3:00
Treble 3:00
Middle 3:00

Lead Volume 10:30
Lead Brite off
Lead Shift off

EQ auto
80 @ +1.2 lines
240 @ + 1.0 lines
750 @ -0.5 lines
2200 @ +1.5 lines
6600 @ +1.0 lines

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I'm in too deep... I am just not going to gig this and it's too much to sit idle. The IICP is fantastic and can absolutely be a two channel kick ass module, I like it as much or more than the Fryette Deliverance.
I have fallen in love with the clean on the IICP and think maybe my next stop is a Cali Tweed or something.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
True. But that’s why I highlighted the word “know”. On the OS module and the IICP, you know which controls already affect both channels. so you approach it a certain way. But on the Ecstasy, you have what appear to be two completely different channels, but each channel has a pair of switches that surprisingly affect the other channel. Weird.
No worries. Just yanking your chain A little there. ;)

The great part about a modular system is if something doesn’t work for you, you can move it and try to find something that does.

dsmc80

OK, more fussing completed. Here's where I landed, at least for a starting neighborhood. Rig is Suhr Thornley superstrat thingy-->no pedals-->Syn2-->Fryette 2/50/2-->2 THD 2x12 cabs. Little bit of PCM42. Nothing else.

Volume 1 cranked
Brite off
Shift off
Bass 9:00
Presence 3:00
Treble 3:00
Middle 3:00

Lead Volume 10:30
Lead Brite off
Lead Shift off

EQ auto
80 @ +1.2 lines
240 @ + 1.0 lines
750 @ -0.5 lines
2200 @ +1.5 lines
6600 @ +1.0 lines
I love Ian's Suhr guitars (and his ridiculous playing). How are you liking that super-Thornley?

dsmc80

I took the dive and ordered a Syn-1 with a Deliverance module. Will be using it with the guitars and board pictured. Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
View attachment 443153 View attachment 443154
I'm using mine with everything really. (30 guitars from Teles to P90s to Humbuckers to EMGs to Fluences). I might nudge Gain 2 on the lower channel down a tad for cleaner sounds on the higher output guitars, but other than that I set and forget.

Mine is set as follows:

EQ and Presence / Depth Circuit:
Presence: 3:00 o'clock
Depth: 1:00
Treble: 1:30
Middle: 1:30
Bass: 12:00
Mode Switch: On

Normal channel:
Bright - Off
Gain 1: 12:00
Gain 2: 10:30
Less

Red Channel:
Bright: On
Gain 1: 1:00
Gain 2: 3:00
More

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Ecstasy. I don’t hate it by any stretch of the imagination. But there was something very frustrating about it the first few weeks/months I had it. i didn’t know that the darn switches a
for each channel also affect the other channel. The blue channel bright switch and schizo switch actually impact the red channel. And same goes for the red panel switches impacting the blue.

So you spend a good half hour dialing in your blue channel. Then you dial in the red. Then come back to the blue and wonder what the hell happened to it. It’s the darn switches. But once you KNOW, then it’s easier to make adjustments as needed.
It’s funny because I was playing my Ecstasy module yesterday and I did not find the switches on the blue channel have any impact on the red channel. Any other opinions? Could there be something wrong with yours? I think the module sounds great BTW.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
First blush reactions:

SLO: amazeballs
IICP: amazeballs on the lead, but still monkeying with balancing the toanz on the two channels
Just got an SLO module myself this past week. Man that thing sings! I thought having a shared eq would be bad but it is great to have 2 almost identical sounds and have varying levels of gain. The interesting thing is I can get the red channel on the Ecstasy to sound in the ballpark of the slo. Definitely they are different but not as much as you think, Does that surprise anyone?

dsmc80

Just got an SLO module myself this past week. Man that thing sings! I thought having a shared eq would be bad but it is great to have 2 almost identical sounds and have varying levels of gain. The interesting thing is I can get the red channel on the Ecstasy to sound in the ballpark of the slo. Definitely they are different but not as much as you think, Does that surprise anyone?
I definitely think you can get them in the same ballpark. but the Ecstasy still feels looser and has a different midrange emphasis. The Ecstasy has better cleans, but the SLO just FEELs and sounds so wonderful.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I took the dive and ordered a Syn-1 with a Deliverance module. Will be using it with the guitars and board pictured. Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
View attachment 443153 View attachment 443154
Nice! The Deliverance is a great module. There seems to be some ghosting or artificats on channel 1 when set for mid gain, but I was experimenting last night and I was able to get a great, mid forward clean and then a really nice broken up tone with volumes pushed. In the more setting it can actually get A LOT of gain even on channel 1. Channel 2 is excellent for rock tones and leads, definitely a different flavor than the IICP for example but very nice - I could use either module channel 2 for lead work.
Very curious, how do you use the CAB M on the board?
Also, I might be in the market for a delay and always wanted to try the DIG (huge Strymon fan) but my understanding is no presets (not even a FAV setting?) and no MIDI?

murkat

I like sea otters
Received my Engl Powerball module yesterday.
First impressions.
Green Channel, I wish it had more gain.
Red Channel, Dam! great lead channel, no stomp needed.

Both channels are great, I just wish the green had more,
like the Deliverance so I could set up a nice chewy rhythm cleaned up by volume control.
I do like the Red channel, It really punches thru, nice mids when needed without that "mid thing".

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
In comparing the SLO and the IICP modules, I'm struck by how obvious the Fender DNA is in the IICP module vs the Marshall DNA in the SLO. In the IICP you can feel that sort of tubby Fender feel, esp on channel 1. You can reduce it a bit, but it's always there. Way different than the SLO and the Deliverance.

Kelly

Nice! The Deliverance is a great module. There seems to be some ghosting or artificats on channel 1 when set for mid gain, but I was experimenting last night and I was able to get a great, mid forward clean and then a really nice broken up tone with volumes pushed. In the more setting it can actually get A LOT of gain even on channel 1. Channel 2 is excellent for rock tones and leads, definitely a different flavor than the IICP for example but very nice - I could use either module channel 2 for lead work.
Very curious, how do you use the CAB M on the board?
Also, I might be in the market for a delay and always wanted to try the DIG (huge Strymon fan) but my understanding is no presets (not even a FAV setting?) and no MIDI?
The dig is great at what it does, but only 2 presets and no midi. It’s not really competitive at that price point unless you’re ok with just 2 sounds on the fly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom