Synergy modular thread

Jambo

i’m totally hooked on this system. Timeline: 2 months ago I cautiously stepped into the ring and purchased a Syn1 and an Ecstasy module. The initial idea was to add 2 channels to my AC30. I was blown away! So I started experimenting with other rigs I own, first up was a Bray modded JTM45 through a PS2. Then running that stereo with the other side running into the return on my Fryette CL50. Sounds incredible but way too much to haul and wire up in a live scenario. Next up was a second PS2 to power the other side. Great, but after a couple days with this set up in my studio I decided it’s still way too much to set up and what needed was a rack system with a stereo power amp if I was going to run stereo (haven’t done the rack system thing since the early 90s and was hesitant).
Fast Forward a few weeks: Sold the second PS2 to help finance a stereo power amp, Syn2 and a couple more modules. Got the LXII for a power amp. Vai and BMAN modules so far… let the rabbit hole continue.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
i’m totally hooked on this system. Timeline: 2 months ago I cautiously stepped into the ring and purchased a Syn1 and an Ecstasy module. The initial idea was to add 2 channels to my AC30. I was blown away! So I started experimenting with other rigs I own, first up was a Bray modded JTM45 through a PS2. Then running that stereo with the other side running into the return on my Fryette CL50. Sounds incredible but way too much to haul and wire up in a live scenario. Next up was a second PS2 to power the other side. Great, but after a couple days with this set up in my studio I decided it’s still way too much to set up and what needed was a rack system with a stereo power amp if I was going to run stereo (haven’t done the rack system thing since the early 90s and was hesitant).
Fast Forward a few weeks: Sold the second PS2 to help finance a stereo power amp, Syn2 and a couple more modules. Got the LXII for a power amp. Vai and BMAN modules so far… let the rabbit hole continue.
It’s a fun exploration for sure. I’m chasing the rabbit hole too.

skhan007

The IICP just arrived and I only had about 10 minutes with it, before I had to get back to work.

Holy crap, that lead channel is CRAZY good. I mean REALLY good.

The lower gain channel, I'll need to spend some time with to dial in what I'm after. Some of the mini-switches (shift and bright, I believe) create a bit of clipping on this channel, which is not desirable, but I may have to pay attention to my levels to make sure I'm not clipping.

More to follow.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
The IICP just arrived and I only had about 10 minutes with it, before I had to get back to work.

Holy crap, that lead channel is CRAZY good. I mean REALLY good.

The lower gain channel, I'll need to spend some time with to dial in what I'm after. Some of the mini-switches (shift and bright, I believe) create a bit of clipping on this channel, which is not desirable, but I may have to pay attention to my levels to make sure I'm not clipping.

More to follow.
Yeah, the IICP was a really good choice for an addition to the Synergy line. I was on the fence at first when I first heard some of the YT vids but a couple of them got me to rethink adding that one and I am glad I did... it has been a great and is quite unique.

I'm glad I saw some vids on how to dial Marks in or I would have found it a bit more frustrating. I had messed with them before but I have never had one as a daily driver. Steve F has really delivered the goods for the Synergy line.

I could see picking two of this module up and loading both slots of the Syn-2 with it. :D

skhan007

Yeah, the IICP was a really good choice for an addition to the Synergy line. I was on the fence at first when I first heard some of the YT vids but a couple of them got me to rethink adding that one and I am glad I did... it has been a great and is quite unique.

I'm glad I saw some vids on how to dial Marks in or I would have found it a bit more frustrating. I had messed with them before but I have never had one as a daily driver. Steve F has really delivered the goods for the Synergy line.

I could see picking two of this module up and loading both slots of the Syn-2 with it. :D
I hadn't seen any tips on dialing in. Just used my ears. Any quick tips?

I hadn't seen any tips on dialing in. Just used my ears. Any quick tips?
If you're going for high gain:
take that bass knob and turn it all the way down to zero. You could put a little in, but basically start at 0. The mid and treble knobs can start around 1 oclock and work from there. Think of these knobs as your "tubescreamer boost"- tightening the lows and boosting the mids.

Then use the graphic to make a smile face. You can get into extreme mid cuts here if you boosted the mids earlier. If you are red lighting, back down a bit as you may be boosting too much low/highs. The faders are very reactive but tedious as they are tiny.

I'm pretty sure this is the same approach on the actual mesa marks.

Once I found my spots, I never change it anymore. Have fun!

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Go figure. Finally got the new rack, the third SYN-2 and the SYN-5050 ready to roll. But before I could swap everything over, my second SYN-2 is exhibiting a problem. When I switch to it, it intermittently either sounds totally normal or really quiet , fuzzy and low volume. I have a Plexi Module and an SLO Module in it now. But it happens on all four channels. Guessing it’s a SYN-2 thing and not a module thing.

GuitarGuy316

Go figure. Finally got the new rack, the third SYN-2 and the SYN-5050 ready to roll. But before I could swap everything over, my second SYN-2 is exhibiting a problem. When I switch to it, it intermittently either sounds totally normal or really quiet , fuzzy and low volume. I have a Plexi Module and an SLO Module in it now. But it happens on all four channels. Guessing it’s a SYN-2 thing and not a module thing.
Sorry I can’t help on that but is the SYN-5050 fan loud?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry I can’t help on that but is the SYN-5050 fan loud?
I haven’t even turned the SYN-5050 on yet. My existing two SYN-2 units are in the old, smaller 3u rack with just a power supply. They currently feed a PS-2. My plan was to switch to the SYN-5050 in a bigger rack with a third SYN-2. But just as everything got accumulated, boom! Problem with a SYN-2.

GuitarGuy316

I haven’t even turned the SYN-5050 on yet. My existing two SYN-2 units are in the old, smaller 3u rack with just a power supply. They currently feed a PS-2. My plan was to switch to the SYN-5050 in a bigger rack with a third SYN-2. But just as everything got accumulated, boom! Problem with a SYN-2.
Gotcha. I’d love to hear what you think compared to the PS2.

GuitarGuy316

Seriously, if you complain about the fan noise in these then you aren’t playing loud enough. If you don’t play loud enough not to hear the fan then I would question the need for 100 watts to begin with.
My only experience was a PS2 which is fine and I tried the Fryette LXII. The LXII sounded like a jet engine taking off so I’m sure it was defective. I returned it anyways because the presence and depth is not adjsutable once you put it in a rack.

Jimmyno

Now it happens i have two syn-2.
The question is: sell one or buy new modules to fill it?

PS:the IICP module is just astonishing.
:D

Top Bottom