Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Scratch17

Scratch17 Member

Agreed. That is why I consider getting a Synergy system only if I can cover the 3 major tube amp types, plus multiple cab configurations.

A lot of the "they all start to sound really similar" effect has to do with the way video demos are done.

Most of the demos are done with the gain set at 5 or higher. Gain set at 7 or higher is more common than gain set at 5. The differences in sound with preamps are more prevalent at lower gain to my ears. Yes at higher gain levels there are differences, but I think they are more subtle.

I also think demos almost entirely ignore guitar pickup volume and tone as a factor in demonstrating the actual differences between preamps. I believe that demos done with lower gain, where the pickup volume and tone is varied will better show off these differences.

And when did you last see a demo with a Synergy system that didn't use a 6L6 tube based amp? Have you ever seen a Synergy with an EL84 based amp?

I have a Mesa 20/20 EL84 stereo tube amp, a Mesa Recto recording preamp and a clone of a Fender Blackface AB763 preamp (channel 1 of a Bandmaster or Bassman). I also own a 68 Bandmaster head. It is cosmetically a drip edge Silverface. But it is actually a Blackface. I got lucky. The original owner didn't know what he had.

The Mesa Recto Pre sounds quite different feeding the 20/20 than the Blackface clone. And the clone + 20/20 combination sounds very different than the Bandmaster head. All with the same cabs, by the way.

I can push the clone to overdrive to get a similar sound as the Mesa pre with the gain up, both driving the 20/20 and a Mesa 1 x 10 cab. But even driven hard, the clone + 20/20 won't sound like the Bandmaster head when it is driven hard. It is a bit sweeter. Note that since the Bandmaster has no serial effects loop, I cannot feed the clone into the head's 6L6 tube amp. Nor can I use the Recto Pre with the Bandmaster's amp section.

So would a Plexi module sound like a real Plexi driving a 6L6 amp? Probably close, but no cigar. What about a Plexi module driving an EL34 amp? Probably really close. Add a 1960A cab and most would find it hard to tell the difference between the module and the vintage amp.

I think a modular system of tube amps, preamps and cabs as a way to get really close to the sound of multiple vintage amps, without the incredible cost.

My Dad had a 1970 Barracuda convertible. He paid around $3700 for it. It came with a 318, the base engine. Today, if you dropped a factory crate Hemi into it, added some scoops and stripes and upgraded the drive train, you'd have a very good 70 Hemi 'Cuda clone that would sell for north of $150,000.

I think of a Synergy T/DLX module, and a 6L6 amp with a Jensen Vintage Replacement C12N as similar to that Hemi 'Cuda clone.

Baba Louie likes this.
  2. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Any of the Synergy stuff able to sound like this?

3. chadprsman

chadprsman Member

SL2X is a great module. I used an SL and SL2X in a mod50. Went from clean to mild breakup to 2 modded Marshall channels. I have the BE module and it's similar, but not that much gain (I think, haven't run it with gain past 1 o'clock).

Bentayuk likes this.
  4. Bentayuk

Thank you, pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear!

5. Picker Pelt

Picker Pelt Member

I have a Keeley White Sands, didn’t love the tone going through my ac module in my syn1 but pushing the gain on the red channel did it for me for great crunch tone! Might have to try a boost pedal or mild over drive for solos..

6. Bentayuk

I'm about to order my first Synergy mod, and I want it to be a Marshall-esq mod, This will be for 80's Hard Rock, Hair Metal, Thrash Metal....

1. BE
    2. HBE
    3. 800

7. MarcoR

MarcoR Silver Supporting Member

SLO

Kriig and teofilrocks like this.
  8. Bentayuk

I know that's an option, but I'd like to stick as Marshall as possible.

9. MarcoR

Don't get hung up on the name, it's perfect Marshall tone for "80's Hard Rock, Hair Metal, Thrash Metal". The HBE is too compressed, the BE might be good but you may need a boost in front to get the gain, the 800 would also be good but very similar to an SL2 (I liked the SLO better).

Kriig and Bentayuk like this.
  10. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Look into the Metropoulos module. It’s basically a hotrodded Plexi, and is perfect for the 80’s LA metal sound.

Bentayuk likes this.
  11. voojo

voojo Silver Supporting Member

I have both the Metro Plex, the Synergy Plexi and Synergy 800. They really are all great and of course similar in many ways, but the differences are noticeable.

First off you really can't go wrong with any of them. If I were to keep only one module it would be the Synergy Plexi.

The Metro Plex to me is the most vintage feeling, a bit looser on the low end. I'd say even though it's based on a Plexi, it has a slight JTM 45 feel, but with much more gain available. The EQ works well, plenty of range.

The Synergy Plexi is tighter than the Metro Plex, and I really like the ability to dial in both Volumes, it gives you a lot of options tonally. Again this one has a very useful EQ, they've really dialed the EQs in on these modules.

The Synergy 800 has the grainiest overdrive, in a good way. I know that JMP/JCM 800s have a reputation of being a bright amp so initially I wasn't sure why the module has bright switches. It turns out I really like the differences between them on and off, and I use both. Surprisingly though the gain feel is a bit different, I think total gain wise they're all pretty similar, you can get them all to sound quite alike.

I've kicked around selling the Metro Plex module but for now I'll probably just keep it, as they all have their unique qualities. Hope that helps and let me know if I can get more specific on anything.

12. Bentayuk

I think the SLO will be my first move, as it sounds INCREDIBLE in this video! If I feel it's not enough I'll likely go BE after.

The Engl sounds good, and there's mention of a 6505.... but nothing of the Fryette....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Good lord, if they nail the 5150 sound with a 6505 module, that will sell.
    THREE Bogners? Think it will be Ecstasy Blue, Red and Uberschall? (like the pedals)

I liked the SLO and Engl the best in that vid, but I still think the EG5 module I had sounds better than the SLO.

14. Bentayuk

I was thinking it could be Ecstasy, Shiver, Uber. But given that their modules tend to turn single channels from amps into two channel mods, you're probably right.

Bucksears likes this.
  15. MarcoR

Funny how we all hear/appreciate things differently; I had the EG5 twice and really wanted to like it but could never bond with it. With the SLO I was immediately like "Yeah, that's the sound I was looking for". Now I've never been into the Soldano thing or ever GASed for one so I wasn't looking specifically for that sound... but I never think about or expect modules to be "that" amp but rather different flavors/feels of clean and dirty tones that might work for whatever it is I'm going for.

Bucksears likes this.
  16. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I’d like to think they could keep the Ecstasy in one module (a natural fit for the Red and Blue channels). Hopefully it’s an Ecstasy, Überschall, and Shiva type lineup.

17. Bentayuk

Thought you’d all like to see this, the Fryette GP/DI carry Case. It’s tight, but it does fit with ease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bucksears

I should probably amend my previous statement. I haven't actually heard/played an SLO module in person. I'm just going off of the online demos and my own personal experience with the EG5. There's much more of a 'metal' sound/feel to the SLO demos I've heard, although that's probably the player demoing the unit more than anything else. The EG5 is a 'modern high gain' sound, but with plenty of treble and a healthy midrange on tap. Even with the mids cut completely, it was more like a-little-below-flat instead of full-on scooped.
    But this is really nit-picking here: I'm sure I'd have a big grin on my face if I had the SLO as well. :D

MarcoR likes this.
  19. Bucksears

I thought about the Shiva, but what would the two channels be? One clean and one dirt? Or one channel modeled after the gain side WITHOUT the boost, and another channel as the gain WITH the boost?
    They've already marketed the two Ecstasy channels as pedals, so they'd still NOT undercut other sales if they went with individual modules for Blue and Red. It actually might make things easier with the shared channels if they keep the same EQ; if they did Blue & Red in one, they'd really have to have dual EQs to allow for the different voicing(s).

I'm just waiting for an official Mark IIC+ module, but a Dumble-esque might be as close as they get to a smooth, high-gain American sound.

20. skeet

skeet Member

Thanks for the insight. I just got my SYN-1 and SLO module last week and am loving it. I had a Soldano HR-25, which is like a mini SLO, that I have kinda regretted selling. So hearing how great the SLO module is pushed me over the top to try the Synergy platform.

And man, does it deliver! I tried running it through my BE-50, which was fine, but was adding a bit of unwanted grind. So, I changed it quickly over to my Power Station 2 as the power amp, as its 6L6’s just make more sense for a Soldano. And once I got that set up, it sounded incredible - I was getting that same blooming, singing 3D lead tone that I missed from my HR-25.

And having the Depth knob on my PS2 has been very helpful in tailoring the low-end - even easier than I could with my old Soldano. (maybe like the common “depth mod” on SLOs?). I’m hoping the PS2 will be a good option for a number of other Synergy modules.

Now I really want one of the Plexi modules - either Metroplex or “Plexi”. I want one of those to add a channel to my BE-50, to sit between the clean channel and BE channels sonically. Something to give me that “dirty clean” Hendrixy thing, all the way up the 70s classic rock stuff. I’m trying avoid one that overlaps too much with my BE, as that has hot-rodded plexi covered in spades.

So, @voojo, would you still recommend the Plexi module over the Metroplex for what I’m trying? I assume both will sound good through the BE power section.

Kriig, voojo and Bucksears like this.