Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

I thought about the Shiva, but what would the two channels be? One clean and one dirt? Or one channel modeled after the gain side WITHOUT the boost, and another channel as the gain WITH the boost?
    They've already marketed the two Ecstasy channels as pedals, so they'd still NOT undercut other sales if they went with individual modules for Blue and Red. It actually might make things easier with the shared channels if they keep the same EQ; if they did Blue & Red in one, they'd really have to have dual EQs to allow for the different voicing(s).

I'm just waiting for an official Mark IIC+ module, but a Dumble-esque might be as close as they get to a smooth, high-gain American sound.

2. skeet

skeet Member

Thanks for the insight. I just got my SYN-1 and SLO module last week and am loving it. I had a Soldano HR-25, which is like a mini SLO, that I have kinda regretted selling. So hearing how great the SLO module is pushed me over the top to try the Synergy platform.

And man, does it deliver! I tried running it through my BE-50, which was fine, but was adding a bit of unwanted grind. So, I changed it quickly over to my Power Station 2 as the power amp, as its 6L6’s just make more sense for a Soldano. And once I got that set up, it sounded incredible - I was getting that same blooming, singing 3D lead tone that I missed from my HR-25.

And having the Depth knob on my PS2 has been very helpful in tailoring the low-end - even easier than I could with my old Soldano. (maybe like the common “depth mod” on SLOs?). I’m hoping the PS2 will be a good option for a number of other Synergy modules.

Now I really want one of the Plexi modules - either Metroplex or “Plexi”. I want one of those to add a channel to my BE-50, to sit between the clean channel and BE channels sonically. Something to give me that “dirty clean” Hendrixy thing, all the way up the 70s classic rock stuff. I’m trying avoid one that overlaps too much with my BE, as that has hot-rodded plexi covered in spades.

So, @voojo, would you still recommend the Plexi module over the Metroplex for what I’m trying? I assume both will sound good through the BE power section.

voojo and Bucksears like this.
  3. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

This is kinda what I still don't really get either. I am sure using a Fryette PS or something similar would get really close but it won't be 100%.

I'm still very intrigued by this too though. I have a Fargen amp on the way that you can switch out the EL 34's for KT66 /KT77/6550/6L6/5881/6V6 ECT without any biasing so with this capability in the Fargen the Synergy system REALLY has me intrigued.

I listened to the Metropoulis demo against the real thing and it blew my socks off......such a cool concept.

4. jzuker

jzuker Member

Do any of you who have the 5050 power amp have issues with the fan noise in recording situations? Not that the noise would ever get on a track, but if one likes to track/playback at reasonable volumes, does it add to the annoying white noise cacophony (along with air conditioners, computer fans)?

Also, for those who use/try the Syn 30/50 amp heads, how do they compare sonically to the 5050 power amp? (or 4 ch method into the fx loop of your own amp)?

Thanks!

5. skeet

skeet Member

Yea, I understand that concern too, and I’ll have a better idea once I get more modules.

But for now, modules that should have 6L6’s, like my SLO, I’m going through the PS2. Then any of the plexi style ones, I’m going to try through my BE, with its EL34s.

For the record, the SLO sounded good through my BE, I just felt it was a tad closer with the PS2, but it could be in my head. As I understand, the SLO was designed almost exclusively around the preamp, with the idea of having it sent through the most pristine, high fidelity output section possible. I think that’s why the SLO module has been such an early success for Synergy.

Sure we can all be super picky about KT77s, 6V6s, etc..But if you have American and British tubes (maybe a couple variants) available in your existing amps or in a power amp, you should be able to mix and match with what sounds best. That Fargen setup sounds really cool - and would be an interesting way to see how much difference the power tubes make.

Again, you’re getting the essence of ~$2k+ “amps” for $400. If it gets you, say: 85% of the tone - isn’t that worth it? And, as you’ve seen, people are claiming the modules to been even more accurate than that.

Sure is worlds better than any “amp in a box pedal” that goes for $200. The fact that they all seem to play pretty damn nicely through Synergy’s 6L6’s is a testament to how well this platform was thought out and engineered.

Obviously not a cure all for everyone, but so far seems better, IMHO, to the digital modeling world. YMMV of course.

Baba Louie and Matteo11 like this.
  6. Matteo11

Thanks and I am definitely onboard with what Synergy is doing and pretty excited with integrating the tube swapping ability with the Fargen & Synergy system. Super impressed with majority of clips I have heard and feedback I have been reading on here.

It's funny you actually brought up the digital modelling because I just decided recently after a couple years with the Fractal AX8 to go back to tube amps. The AX8 is great and not knocking it but I go down the rabbit hole too often with tweaking and different Ir's etc. I just can't help myself its in my nature if there are knobs and switches I will tweak em' non stop ha

I was planning on getting the Diezel VH4 pedal eventually with the Fargen then discovered the Synergy so it's good to hear you think the modules are outperforming the amp in a box pedals.

I would also be interested in the SLO as well. The demos I have heard of that sound amazing.

Man we live in a good time to be a guitar player :)

7. skeet

skeet Member

Cheers to that man! :D

Matteo11 likes this.
  8. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

i'm crossing this bridge in my mind as we speak (mine is with kemper).

would rather have 2-3 immediately accessible real sounds than the rabbit hole i keep getting drawn down.

having a hard time with the price of the synergy system though - wow. A rack box and 2 modules is what - $1600!?

for the moment i'm loading down tube amps into my rack.

Matteo11 likes this.
  9. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Skeet, sorry I just saw this post. Yes I would still recommend the Plexi module for what you're looking for. It can be dialed in for more clean headroom than the Metroplex. That being said either are fine choices. But I think dirty cleans would be best handled by the Synergy Plexi module, and it has plenty of gain on tap when required. It's my favorite module so far.

10. Matteo11

I thought the Syn 1 was $500 and the modules $400 still not cheap but considering they are the actual preamps from the manufacturer its a good deal still IMO......If it keeps me playing guitar more and tweaking less I think for me at least it will be well worth it.

11. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

i was looking at the 2 module rackmount thing - 1RU

Anyone ever done these though a torpdedo cab with the power amp sims?

would like to have a clean/crunch (kinda that 3D organic thing that cleans up well), and a heavy rhythm/searing lead

like maybe plexi (or morgan?) on one side and SLO or 800 on the other?

edit: also- for modules with 2 sets of gain controls and a switch...can those be toggled via midi?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

ANYTHING is better than the digital modeling world. Even my Pignose.

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know if they've set a date when their Dumble ODS preamp module is going to be available?

OAJ73 likes this.
  14. skeet

skeet Member

I don’t think I’ve seen any concrete date on this. Will be very interesting to see how well they can pull that off in this format.

But I’ve def seen that the ENGL Savage is out in final prototype to industry people, so that might be released any day. And Bogner (Ecstacy, Uberschall?) is coming soon. Maybe they’ll roll out the next batch of modules together?

I personally have no sense of ENGL’s (or even the VH4) beyond what style of music they are used for.

Personally, for my “era” of metal tastes, I really hope they do their own version of Boogie’s Mark series, assuming Mesa/Boogie is out on Synergy.

But imagine a module with Mark IIC+ on one channel and Mark IV on the other, or Mark I combined with a clean channel. Maybe a switch to engage the signature “V” EQ? I sold my Mark V years ago and don’t necessarily regret it - but I do love those trademark tones, so - Synergy please do this!

Maybe Diezel and ENGL are in the MarkII - IV wheelhouse, and I just don’t realize it?

Bentayuk and Serious Poo like this.
  15. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I’ve just come from playing a Mark V, and I currently play the Salvation MarkUs, which IS 100% a Mark IIC+/IV in one module.

I would LOVE to see a Synergy Mark, but I think that’s going to be based on Mesa getting involved more than anything. I know Synergy have done their versions of Plexi / 800 models without the actual involvement of Marshall, but these are fairly common in the custom/boutique amp market. Whereas the Mark style is pretty much only available from Mesa (as far as I’m aware).

But I do agree, much like the Mark V’s switch between the IIC+ / IV modes, I’d like to see a module do the same. Ch.1 IIC+ / Ch.2 IV, with a EQ V-shape switch.

Also, I have played Engl’s, Diezel’s, Bogner’s and the Mesa Mark is just as relevant in today’s Metal market as any of them!

16. Dave L

Dave L Member

The MarkUs has a great basic tone and sounds a lot like a Mark, but having a preset V-curve on a switch was a bit of a problem to my ears. That middle slider is very finicky, and some players might not like where it ends up in a certain position. I like a more shallow V, for sure, but not the lead channel without any V. The Triaxis doesn´t quite get it right with that single EQ control either.

I think that old Randall prototype (maybe the Ultra Curve?) with an actual graphic EQ might have been more on the right track for my tastes. I´d probably be happy with three knobs (gain, bass, volume) and a graphic. Treble and middle I could live with in fixed positions or on preset switches.

Bentayuk likes this.
  17. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. No idea who has the only Ultra Curve model. Cool idea though.