Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

That sounds really nice! Gotta snag that module.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Warren Mendonsa likes this.
  2. stratamania

stratamania Member

OK, that cleared up the question. Thanks.

3. Kriig

Kriig Member

Salvation does not do 2 channel modules. At least not 4 months ago.
    Only 1 channel mts.

4. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

5. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

Looks like dual channel modules here

Bentayuk likes this.
  6. Kriig

Kriig Member

Wow... Thats cool. I talked to Salvation 4-5 months ago, and he said he did not mod the new 2-channel modules. I guess he changed his mind.

I’m more than happy to be wrong though :D

7. ned911

ned911 Member

8. Jason_86_951

Made in Japan like some of the sp77 preamps. Full size transformers, quality wiring/construction, and sounds amazing.
    Basically two hot rod 50 power (2x5881 per side) sections in a rack. Only 50 of them made, probably quite a few less still around.

The SLO module is friggen nuts with it. VH4 sounds wicked too.

This is the 5th rack power amp I have tried with the Synergy rack and easily the best so far.

olivier064, Kriig and crankyrayhanky like this.
  9. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Have you tried the Fryette PS 2 or the Synergy 50 watt stereo power amp with the modules?

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  10. Jason_86_951

Not the 5050, but did the PS1. Was ok, felt disconnected. The Soldano feels like an amp head, solid/immediate.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  11. ned911

ned911 Member

I've been using an old Randall RRM2-80 for my wet sounds (still building out the rig). Everything I have is old and the pots all needs to be cleaned as they are crazy scratchy. But power amp is definitely were I need to upgrade.

Going to do the dual channel mod on my RM4 this weekend and add it into the mix. Here's what I got so far, I'm going for "if everything looks the same the wife won't mind it in the living room":
    [​IMG]

Right now the signal flow is:
    Mod50 serial send --> input 1 EPP400
    EPP loop 2 send --> Mod50 serial return
    EPP loop 3 --> H9
    EPP Stereo out --> Randall RRM2-80 (2x Rebel 112X)

Tonight I will put the GSP1101 in loop 4. Need to clean up the Rack Interface so the mixer isn't so scratchy sounding.

gtrlw and crankyrayhanky like this.
  12. Murderme

Murderme Member

Hello I’m thinking about getting my first synergy preamp , I want to use it for clean stuff exclusively and am curious which device would be best for that application ? I’m kinda torn between the t/deluxe and os .what are everybodies opinion of these synergy preamps ? Anyone try it for recording ?

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

There are 3 modules that do cleans well IMHO - the AC, the TDLX and the BMAN. I also own the OS module and all I can say is it sounds very clinical, almost hyper clean. I really don't use it much at all. My personal favorites are the AC or TDLX modules with a dbx160X compressor in front of them.

Others will have different opinions, your mileage may vary, etc...

Murderme, Kriig and pipedwho like this.
  14. danel59

danel59 Member

15. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Not really a fan of it. In the world of Dumble-ish sounds, I own a Fuchs ODS and have had several IIC+'s back in the day. The lead sounds in the OD module are "ok", but not terribly inspiring to me. I'm much more into the SLO module, that thing just sounds amazing for leads.

16. danel59

danel59 Member

I have a Fuchs ODS30 and found the OS module had similar tones maybe not quite as good but a lot easier to carry and live not sure how many in the audience would hear the difference. There again YMMV, IMHO etc etc etc as desired tone is quite subjective and can be different for each person

17. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

My favorite power section with my modular pres is a Jet City 50, the chinese-built Hot Rod 50 copy;

[​IMG]

Haven't tried the Synergy iterations yet but I've got a Salvation Twinface that switches from blackface Twin to blackface Deluxe, as well as a Jaded Faith Twox that switches from a tweed Bassman to an AC30. The Twin has a pretty deep mid cut and can make a thick humbucker twang but a single coil with the bright switch on is over the top shrill, whereas the Deluxe is fat and goes to mud quick with humbuckers but sounds perfectly balanced with a Tele bridge and the bright switch on. The tweed Bassman is more of an all rounder with different guitars, bit spongier while the AC30 setting scoops it out and can get lost in the mix.
    I was just experimenting with the cathode bias switch on the M4 yesterday using the clean mods and pedals. It has a massive effect on the sound each pedal has hitting the preamp.

18. Murderme

Murderme Member

I heard a demo of the Morgan and it sounded the most articulate out a couple of the others I’ve heard . I’m guessing I’ll be most happy with that or the twin deluxe . The thing is like I said it I’ll only Be for clean stuff . I’ll use my be-50 with a mic for leads and heavier tones , right now I’m using an ethos clean ii with a pc-2a in front of it going into my timeline and bigsky which is connected to an A/DA stereo hardware and mic simulator . It works really well , but the ethos clean ii is meh . The tone is there but the response from the preamp section is to clinical , it lacks sponginess or sag , that I’m hoping to get from one of the synergy modules . Thanks for the replies everyone . I’ll let y’all know what i get and my opinion in the next week or two .

19. Jason_86_951

Honestly, grab the Friedman BB/BE. The cleans are killer and you'll also have the Friedman high gain on board. Cleans in it are as good or better than all the rest of the modules IMO.

dsmc80, ejecta and Murderme like this.
  20. Murderme

Murderme Member

I already own a real Friedman be-50 amp so I don’t really think I’ll need that module , but since you think the cleans don’t get any better then the bb channel then maybe what I really need is a reactive load box so I can run my be-50’s power amp section out into my strymon pedals then send the stereo out into my board after cab sim .( for stereo operation )