Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MarcoR

MarcoR Silver Supporting Member

Here's a new demo of the Friedman DS module with a little more detail and some extra clams.

JoeB63, Hiatus O and voojo like this.
  2. voojo

voojo Silver Supporting Member

I have a Synergy SYN-1 and Metropoulos Metro-Plex module that should arrive this Friday! Really looking forward to it. Thanks to all that have posted reviews & demos in this thread so far. After I spend some time with the setup I'm hoping to get a Morgan AC module and perhaps even the Synergy 800.

I'm starting out with the British side, since I've got my American tones covered with current amps. I also plan on picking up the SYN-30 Amp head and a T-DLX module once funds become available.

scolfax and Hiatus O like this.
  3. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

I have the Syn2 w/ Metro and Bassman modules. I really think it sounds great. The loop is also excellent with an Echorec pedal. This was worth the wait, especially for me because I really regret selling my IE4 preamp back in the day. I would really like the AC module, but I'm not happy about the name on it, so I will do without. There will be plenty of other choices in time.

3 Mile Stone and voojo like this.
  4. Hiatus O

Hiatus O Member

Why would you let the name bug you if you want it? Morgan AC?

Kriig likes this.
  5. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Search threads on Joe Morgan and his treatment of customers and questionable claims about NKT transistors. I just don't want to financially support any of that. I have no probs with the people at BAD, obviously, who are awesome and really care about their customers.

scolfax and voojo like this.
  6. MarcoR

MarcoR Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I kinda feel the same... Too bad really, I'm sure the module sounds great but I'm going to skip that one.

frisco likes this.
  7. voojo

What do you think of the B-MAN module? Is it quite a bit different sounding than the Metro-Plex module? How does the Bassman module do for clean tones? Thanks!

8. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The bass man and Twin/deluxe I believe were done by Bruce Egnater his old modular versions
    To me sound incredible so I expect Synergy to easily be as good or better

OAJ73, voojo and MarcoR like this.
  9. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Yes, the BMan is quite different than the MetroPlex. It really sounds more Fender but not blackface. I have the first channel on it set for a clean fat sound with a hint of drive if I really hit the strings hard. Perfect for me. I have the second channel set up as medium od. Nice and fat, distinctly different from the Metro, where I use both channels as heavier od. The two modules really just sound like two different amps, vs. most of the MTS stuff I had years ago that all sounded like variations on a theme. I never had any of the Egnator modules back then.

voojo likes this.
  10. Dogpunter

Dogpunter Gold Supporting Member

I had a really crappy experience with Joe Morgan about a year ago, and it almost stopped me from purchasing the AC module. The people at Boutique Amp Distribution were the ones who straightened it out though, and in a quite excellent fashion I might add. After having spoken at length with Steve Elowe, who is the marketing director for BAD, I felt very confident that I was investing in a well backed Synergy product. The Synergy brand is owned by BAD, and I didn't want Morgan's crappy customer service to stop my quest for great tube tone in a small package. The unit may have been designed by Morgan, but it is manufactured by Synergy and it sounds freakin' fantastic.

voojo likes this.
  11. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

I'm just torn because I totally support BAD, but I don't want to send any kind of royalty payment to Morgan. I am making an assumption that he receives something since his name is on it. There will be plenty of other modules in time and that one isn't a must have for me.

rsm likes this.
  12. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Some wear swimsuits
    [​IMG]

rsm likes this.
  13. friesencr

friesencr Member

I have been intrigued about the Synergy stuff since I heard about it. This weeks Tone Talk with Bruce Egnater, he mentions the modular system. Bruce says he gets a schematic from a designer and he makes it work within the Synergy system.
    At 41:00 he talks about other designers.

voojo and Baba Louie like this.
  14. voojo

Here's a great demo from Shawm Tubbs:

15. LarsTurms

LarsTurms Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Syn-2 looks like a great splitter also (two balanced XLR outs, two unbalanced jacks and potentially an FX send).

Funky Claude likes this.
  16. stratamania

stratamania Member

The demo of Shawn Tubbs, did not help my GAS for one of these. I have a Suhr Bella and wondered what they Synergy with a BE module might sound like.

Its Luke and MarcoR like this.
  17. Its Luke

Its Luke Supporting Member

Very cool demo by Shawn, seems like a great product.
    Perhaps a real viable alternative to the modeling wave.

Darth Weller likes this.
  18. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

It's not really an alternative to anything. It stands as it's own. With a good Tube power amp, it's every bit as real as any head or combo amp. It's in a different league than Kempers and Helix and Ax FX. Those are digital emulations of amps. The Synergy (and the Randall and Egnater) stuff is real tube circuitry, just like an amp head. For recording, the modelers sound very close to a real amp. The average listener couldn't tell the difference. But, you're a PLAYER, Luke. And, to a player, it's not just about the sound, but its also about the feel.

Matteo11, GtrGeorge! and iam_krash like this.
  19. stratamania

stratamania Member

It is a cool demo and shows the possibilities quite well.

On the modeling thing @Baba Louie thing has a good point above. But I can see it could be alternative to modelers for the portability aspect for those that need to travel light and so on. You could of course with a modeler running 4CM use the modeler's preamps versus the amps own preamp for a variety of sounds also.

Modelers would give more variety of possible preamp combinations in live use but really how many does someone really need. In the studio the possibilities with the Synergy to swap out the modules available is cool.

I wonder what modules may become available in the future. Something from Suhr and Fuchs would be cool.

20. Fanfan

Fanfan Member

Now that the Custom Audio Electronics discontinued the CAE 3+ SE Preamp, it would be cool to see Bob Bradshaw and Dave Friedman cooperate in a 3+ Module Preamp.
    As far as i know there is a 3+ Module from Salvation Mods, but even if i emailed them for availability they never responded. Anyway, a new module with 2 channels from 3+ preamp, would be more than amazing!

gtrlw and Kriig like this.