Synergy modular thread

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by OAJ73, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ned911

ned911 Member

I did the dual channel mod to my RM4 on Saturday. Kit from yuneo.de is very nice and even includes a bunch of small zip lock baggies to store screws during the mod. Longest part is disassembly. If you've done any soldering before it's an easy mod.

2. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I'm still looking for my type of clean which is a pushed clean like I can get with my Suhr Badger. I played a Dr Z Maz 18 that was great for this too. I wish I could find a module that would do what those two amps do. I can 4CM with the Suhr but when I have to go all direct it would be cool to have that flavor to throw into the Syn1 that's in on of the loops in my Helix.

3. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I think the BB/BE will get you close, "if" you can get the volume/gain staging right between the module volume, SYN2 volume/sag, and your power amp to speaker power/volume. I have gotten close, but to me there is always a little disconnect due to the separate power supply sag between the preamp and power amp. Notice it a LOT more when it comes to dynamic cleans.

ejecta likes this.
  4. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I think you are right... I may be wanting something that’s just not doable with the separation.

5. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

One rig I had many years ago was the closest I've come. Matchless GPR into a Mesa 2:100 power amp and a pair of cabs with a touch of verb/delay. You had to be stupid loud to get there, but what a sound!

ejecta likes this.
  6. danel59

danel59 Member

For using these modules with a direct rig, would something like the Two-Notes CAB or CAB M help with feel, dynamics and tone by using the power amp and cab sims?

Also wondering if the built in speaker sim is the same with all modules or voiced differently for each? I am assuming it would be a standard voicing for all of them.

7. lespauled

lespauled Member

I'm currently running the SYN-1 through a Seymour Duncan 170, and it is fantastic.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The speaker sim is in the SYN-1/2 units, not in the modules themselves, so it will be the same for all.
    And yes IR`s sounds better than the built-in sim, but its decent for sure.

Kriig likes this.
  9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Latest photo of Vai's setup:

[​IMG]

10. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Wow - that's a very well-rounded selection.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  11. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

Guys, is anybody with the OS module having tons of noise in the gain channel? Also, I have played some D style amps before and you can get a great lead sound but then the clean is not as great. Is anybody else having that same issue with the module. I can get a good lead tone but then the clean sounds like it is missing something and it is also breaking up. If I lower the volume of the clean channel and make it sound good, then my lead doesn’t sound as good.

12. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Sounds like you have a tube issue or an issue with the module itself. My OS dirty channel has a very low noise floor. I'd bet on tubes given the sorry state of the modern offerings.

Kriig likes this.
  13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Might also simply be internal bias setting within the module. IIRC there’s a 3 way switch, the manual walks through its use.

14. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

The Syn 1 I have is defective actually. I open a tech support case and going through it. This changes things for me since I might get the Syn 2 and buy a SLO Module. Hopefully that helps with the noise. If not, I have to see what’s going on with the OS module.

Kriig likes this.
  15. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

That wouldn't affect the noise floor though. That is a cathode select switch which affects feel/tightness.

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Ok sure. You’re technically not wrong, but the point I was subtly alluding to is that rack noise can be caused by a bunch of factors independent of a faulty unit or bad tube. Cabling, power/ground issues, internal device settings, dimmer switches, lighting, computers, other devices in room, etc all play a role. Rather than blame a bad part or unit, I start with the more likely problems. Nearly all of the rack noise I’ve dealt with over the past 20+ years came from those items, never a bad unit or part. Those typically just fail to pass a signal. Just my $0.02.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  17. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Good post. We are all helping the poster figure this out. Wouldn't discount anything. Tubes, SYN1, bad cathode selection, etc.

:aok

Coalface1971 and Serious Poo like this.
  18. MarcoR

MarcoR Silver Supporting Member

Interesting observation with the cab sim on the SYN-2... I always thought it sounded very good for a built in analog simulation but very much preferred IRs using my Two Note CAB. I've mainly been using Ownhammer IRs and just got some Celestion IRs which are also very good. Mainly been using these through my studio monitors and haven't fired up my real amps and cabs for a while.

So I'm about to start doing a solo gig doing the looper thing with backing tracks, singing and a lot of guitar nonsense and put together a tight little rack with the SYN-2, mixing board, vocal processor and LP-1 Live Player for backing tracks. I bought a pair of the Headrush FRFR 212 cabs for monitors and they sound fantastic for the whole mix running through them (cheap too!).

So here's the thing... Now playing with much louder volume than I was through my studio monitors, there's something I just wasn't digging with my guitar; not overall sound but a dynamics/feel kind of thing, perhaps related to the Fletcher Munson curve (or Herman Munster as I like to say). But trying different IRs was getting nowhere so for kicks, I took the C.A.B out of the chain and turned on the SYN-2 cab sim. Observations: it sat in the mix very nicely, the feel was great and wasn't fighting to play more difficult parts, dynamics improved and didn't feel as congested and compressed on dirty tones.

There's definitely a thing where it's easier to play at lower volumes, you play loud and the warts really show. The Fletcher Munson curve comes into play and room acoustics become a factor. Although at 1.5ms? latency for the C.A.B isn't bad at all, with all the other variables it wasn't feeling ideal. In the end, I'm pretty surprised and happy to find a very usable FRFR setup with the SYN-2s cab sim for my gig!

Anyone else try it in this context?

Kriig likes this.
  19. Kriig

Kriig Member

The SYN2 with SLO and Plexi through a Mesa 295 is great.
    The SYN2 with SLO and Plexi through a Custom Audio OD-50 is amazing!! :eek: (and i get the amp channels in addition to the mods) :D

ned911 likes this.
  20. PepAlmeida

PepAlmeida Member

One of the things I'm looking the most in a rig is amp feel and a clean channel with lots of headroom (for some reason I slam the inputs of my tube amps with high levels of boost). In theory buying a SYN-50 or the syn5050 with a syn2 is great. But the availability of clean headroom with the not consistent experiences people have with the Poweramps Vs the real thing makes me think about modeling and stuff...